Proposal: Mark Stone to Calgary

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
I wouldn't be surprised if Dorion took something like this (as he's a complete idiot), but Stone should get more, especially if the Sens are taking Frolik from the Flames as well.

Would want at least one of: Valimaki/Dube/Andersson + 1st.
Which is why it isn't happening. He would be a pure rental, not worth it for the Flames to lose a good young talent and a 1st.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Honestly that is way too much for a rental, especially when Dorion is the one trading and has a history of losing trades. If a GM gives up that much they should be fired. There are a metric ton of rental wingers this year, a 1st+cheap roster player or prospect should be enough

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I’d do it.

I’m drooling over a line of Tkachuk - Backlund - Stone.

I think we could settle for less, but that’s beside the point.

We’d definitely need to move Frolik or Neal.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I would love Stone on this team but can only see it happening if they could figure out a way to sign him, which would mean dumping a good chunk of salary.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Which is why it isn't happening. He would be a pure rental, not worth it for the Flames to lose a good young talent and a 1st.

Guys like Brassard/Hanzal/Vermette/Nash have returned a 1st+B prospect/2nd at the deadline, and they aren't even close to as good as Stone. Dude has over a PPG playing with two rookies and is arguably the best winger defensively in hockey.

Stone will be the best player traded at the deadline since Hossa. He should return AT LEAST a good young talent and a 1st.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Honestly that is way too much for a rental, especially when Dorion is the one trading and has a history of losing trades. If a GM gives up that much they should be fired. There are a metric ton of rental wingers this year, a 1st+cheap roster player or prospect should be enough

Who do you think you are trading for here? There may be a ton of wingers available as rentals at the deadline, but none of them are close to as good as Mark Stone.

Last rental winger at Stone's level was Hossa, who returned the equivalent of 3-4 1sts when he was traded. I don't think Stone returns that much given Dorion's track record of failure, but a 1st+mediocre roster player or prospect would be an absolute steal for Stone.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Who do you think you are trading for here? There may be a ton of wingers available as rentals at the deadline, but none of them are close to as good as Mark Stone.

Last rental winger at Stone's level was Hossa, who returned the equivalent of 3-4 1sts when he was traded. I don't think Stone returns that much given Dorion's track record of failure, but a 1st+mediocre roster player or prospect would be an absolute steal for Stone.

A rental is a rental, whats capping their value is the limited amount of time they will be playing for the team and the alternatives. For example if Simmonds is available for a 1st, then Stone will only get so much more than that before Simmonds make more sense. I agree he will likely be one of the best rentals out there but if he is being moved then the pressure is on Ott to move him instead of losing him for nothing and Dorion has a bad track record in deals.

Also idk what kind of drugs you like but if your precedent you are using is a trade from close to 10 years ago it must be good stuff. E Kane and Skinner were both just moved for 2nd + a prospect and one had more term on their deal and the other was in a weaker market. I expect a 1st + a prospect. If you think PD got garbage for a full year of EK with all the time in the world but is going to get 3-4 1sts for a pressure filled stand off of 30-40 games of Stone I think you are settting yourself up for disappointment

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
Why not just wait until he's a free agent? Calgary's a good young team + his brother plays there, I think the Flames could sign him.

Save the picks/prospects for a Goaltender.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Guys like Brassard/Hanzal/Vermette/Nash have returned a 1st+B prospect/2nd at the deadline, and they aren't even close to as good as Stone. Dude has over a PPG playing with two rookies and is arguably the best winger defensively in hockey.

Stone will be the best player traded at the deadline since Hossa. He should return AT LEAST a good young talent and a 1st.
I didn't say he shouldn't. I am saying it should not be the Flames who pay the price to acquire him.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Only way this works is if the Sens took Neal back, which would never happen. I love Mark Stone, guy is one of my favorite players today.
Agreed. It would be a rental trade with a clear intent on re-signing, and re-signing him is impossible with close to 15 million already dedicated to the RW on the Flames.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
In fairness there’s 0 chance he resigns unless Calgary can find someone to take Neal. I haven’t checked the math but I’m not even sure if he fits under our cap this year with this deal

Value is fair for a rental of his caliber but if I’m Calgary I don’t go all in on him like this. Giving up lots of quality futures (which we’re short on) and too many question marks as to whether we’re a true contender this year

There’s no reason for Calgary to give up so much for a rental then

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Why not just wait until he's a free agent? Calgary's a good young team + his brother plays there, I think the Flames could sign him.

Save the picks/prospects for a Goaltender.
Calgary doesn’t have the cap space to go after Stone in free agency.

PikeyIsaac

Jan 24, 2019
I am in the camp that Mark Stone should be our target, and the way I see it happening:

To Calgary:
MARK STONE

To Ottawa:
JAMES NEAL
ANDREW MANGIAPANE
JUSSO VALIMAKI

I would add a pick if needed, but no firsts. As I think VALIMAKI is better than picking a 1st, and the overpayment is to take the Neal Salary back, and it still gives them a top 6 winger under salary.

The line I see:
Tkachuk - Bennett - Stone

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I am in the camp that Mark Stone should be our target, and the way I see it happening:

To Calgary:
MARK STONE

To Ottawa:
JAMES NEAL
ANDREW MANGIAPANE
JUSSO VALIMAKI

I would add a pick if needed, but no firsts. As I think VALIMAKI is better than picking a 1st, and the overpayment is to take the Neal Salary back, and it still gives them a top 6 winger under salary.

The line I see:
That is absolute garbage.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

To Calgary:
MARK STONE

To Ottawa:
JAMES NEAL
ANDREW MANGIAPANE
JUSSO VALIMAKI

The line I see:
You arent getting Stone without a 1st either way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad