Prospect Info: Mark Stone (Ottawa 178 overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteLight*

Condra makes every line better, he is a really smart player. But so is Stone.

If it comes down to Stone vs Condra then take Stone.

Either way we suck

Should come down to Condra or Neil. Easy choice here

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Man people act as if Condra is some defensive God.

You could argue there are some really really dumb people here.

But most people who like Condra like him to a reasonable degree. He's a quality 4th liner that will likely remain at a great price.

If you think he's a lot worse than that then you can refer back to the first sentence of this post.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
And why exactly? Legwand is a savvy veteran who is excellent defensively, Stone has hockey smarts through the roof so he is already very good defensively and Hoffman surprised me. His speed and constant skating makes him available a bit everywhere on the ice. As long as he works hard, he will be fine defensively. On the other side of the puck, that line can score a lot more than traditional 3rd lines... I think it's realistic to expect three 30 pts + paces from them (just to be sure, pace means per 82 games).

And the spoon fed pucks comment I don't get it, that's not what I thought of Mark Stone when I watched him play. It's been a very long time I haven't been that impressed with a rookie Sens forward. Yes there was Bobby Butler, but he was a flash in the pan. Problem with guys like this is when they don't score or get points, they have an almost negative impact. While a guy like Mark Stone has a positive impact whatever he does on the ice. I thought it was flagrant

I read an article about Stone and who he played with in Binghamton. I think it was written by Ski.

The article indicated that Stone initially centered Dziurzynski and Kramer. Later he played RW with Da Costa at C and Hoffman at LW. In the playoffs, Puempel replaced Hoffman at LW.

So, if Hoffman and Stone play with Legwand at C there is a good chance that some chemistry could come quickly. Therefore, I think this Hoffman - Legwand - Stone line deserves to get some ice time next season. I am looking forward to it.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
If he can't DRAMATICALLY improve his acceleration, top speed, stamina, etc., he'll have no shot in the NHL. It's especially his first few steps that are dreadful, and he gets beat to the puck consistently. I also don't think it's as easy to improve one's skating as people on this board seem to think.

I've followed Stone's progress in the WHL closely since he was drafted - and been excited about him as a prospect (much earlier than most here) - so I don't want to hear the usual comments.

He's FAR from a sure thing.

I didn't want to embarrass anyone so I picked a name I haven't seen on here for a long time. But there are dozens and dozens of similar comments here about Stone. My point? Most internet warriors know squat about how to scout young players and mostly get it wrong.

BigBush*

Omg We Didn't Draft A First Liner With The 178th Pick? Omg What The Hell, Man?

haha, yes we did!

old threads are funny. I said on here that I thought Stone would be scratched for Condra to start the season, haha

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I didn't want to embarrass anyone so I picked a name I haven't seen on here for a long time. But there are dozens and dozens of similar comments here about Stone. My point? Most internet warriors know squat about how to scout young players and mostly get it wrong.

He's 100% right though. Stone's skating when he was first drafted was abysmal. Why he went 6th round in first place. His conditioning was also terrible IIRC. The amount of effort and improvement he's made from then till now is astronomical. So much dedication on the part of Stone. Even from when he first entered the A till now not many thought much of his game outside bottom 6 role cause of his skating.

Huge props to Stone.

Ottawa has a history of picking guys who are bad at skating but have remarkable dedication and a cocky side to improve. Who resembles that from this year's draft?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
He's 100% right though. Stone's skating when he was first drafted was abysmal. Why he went 6th round in first place. His conditioning was also terrible IIRC. The amount of effort and improvement he's made from then till now is astronomical. So much dedication on the part of Stone. Even from when he first entered the A till now not many thought much of his game outside bottom 6 role cause of his skating.

Huge props to Stone.

Ottawa has a history of picking guys who are bad at skating but have remarkable dedication and a cocky side to improve. Who resembles that from this year's draft?

Jesse Gabrielle? Made of muscle, agitator, can score goals, undiscliped and his stats fell off after he was requested a trade away from brandon

A gritty winger who plays with an edge and has a nose for the net. Plays an agitative style and is very effective on the forecheck. Possesses good skating ability and is able to evade larger opponents with ease. All-in-all, a scrappy, skilled winger that can be difficult to play against. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

Good skating ability is a bit of an overstatment

Im sure there are lots of guys that fit your decription

Thinking of guys with poor skating who busted hard Zach Phillips comes to mind

Ek-Eriksson isnt a great skater

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Some people (here, etc.) were down on Hoffman as well. I guess because he didn't score a goal on his first shift. Looks like he turned out OK too.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Jesse Gabrielle? Made of muscle, agitator, can score goals, undiscliped and his stats fell off after he was requested a trade away from brandon

Good skating ability is a bit of an overstatment

Im sure there are lots of guys that fit your decription

Thinking of guys with poor skating who busted hard Zach Phillips comes to mind

Ek-Eriksson isnt a great skater

Perry and Getz come to mind as well. The guy in question doesnt have to be downright terrible skater but average or not that great skater.

EK could be one. The guy improved quite a bit over the course of last year and this year apparently and thus his totals improved. He's actually put up quite the numbers.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Huge props to Stone.

Maybe partially, but moreso because he only played 39 games in his draft year which limited his viewings.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I've been high on Stone since Ottawa drafted him or just high. :yo: I think Nick Paul will be the next one.

WesternHockeyScout

Apr 29, 2011

His stats didn't fall off after he left Brandon. His stats fell off after he got injured in November. His statistical decline began the last 8 games he was in Brandon (just 2 points) and stayed down until he got healthy by the beginning of February.

He had 23 points in his first 25 games. And finished strong with 15 points in his last 18 games.

He had just 6 points during the 23 game stretch he played through 2 injuries and an illness.

http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com/#!jesse-gabrielle/c19ps

Had nothing to do with the trade and everything to do with injuries/illness.

He actually finished the last 1/3 of the season (.74 ppg) stronger than the first 2/3 (.64 ppg).

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
His stats didn't fall off after he left Brandon. His stats fell off after he got injured in November. His statistical decline began the last 8 games he was in Brandon (just 2 points) and stayed down until he got healthy by the beginning of February.

He had 23 points in his first 25 games. And finished strong with 15 points in his last 18 games.

He had just 6 points during the 23 game stretch he played through 2 injuries and an illness.

http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com/#!jesse-gabrielle/c19ps

Had nothing to do with the trade and everything to do with injuries/illness.

He actually finished the last 1/3 of the season (.74 ppg) stronger than the first 2/3 (.64 ppg).

I really liked him when i saw him but didnt watch him alot. He will put up some big numbers next year

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Getzlaf was an ok skater in his draft year. It was Perry that had his stock fall due to his awful skating.

Yea, and attitude issues apparently. Thats why Im looking for Getz like players. Players quite good but ok skating that they could fix which could make them enter the next level.

Ek could be one.

I've been high on Stone since Ottawa drafted him or just high. :yo: I think Nick Paul will be the next one.

You're high on anyone we draft/sign over 6'2 :sarcasm:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yea, and attitude issues apparently. Thats why Im looking for Getz like players. Players quite good but ok skating that they could fix which could make them enter the next level.

Ek could be one.

You're high on anyone we draft/sign over 6'2 :sarcasm:

I want Ottawa to draft Paul Bittner. :nod:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Looking back at the comments is hilarious. Nice bump.

Some were meant to be funny like "we don't need more bottom 6 forwards"(6th round pick afterall) which turn out to be even funnier now that he is a first line winger.

Lots of people commenting on how he fights...comparing him to neil, for example.

I'm not making fun of people as he's obviously evolved a lot. it's just funny to see with hindsight.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Lol he goes from being called "the next Chris Neil/Ryan Clowe" and now he's the next Alfie. Always liked Stone, so glad he turned into the player he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad