Injury Report: Mark Pysyk Reinjures his Achilles Heel

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
That really sucks to hear. I wish him all the best.
Maybe we should start shopping for a 3rd pair upgrade.
Walman seems to be doing fine as the 3rd LHD, you're right though, a 3rd pairing RHD would be nice. Lindstrom and Oesterle aren't really anything special. I'd take a look at Roy and Spence in LA, they have a glut of RHD.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Walman seems to be doing fine as the 3rd LHD, you're right though, a 3rd pairing RHD would be nice. Lindstrom and Oesterle aren't really anything special. I'd take a look at Roy and Spence in LA, they have a glut of RHD.
Maybe Carrier in Nashville.

I’m half expecting to see this guy practicing for the iditarod in Alaska.
Mark "the Uwe" Pysyk

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
We need someone to be in that Pysyk role.
Shouldn't be too hard to find.
Reliable, defensive 3rd pairing RD.
The question is, what do you want to pay?

Teams falling out of the race fast:
Columbus
Philadelphia
Buffalo
Ottawa
Montreal
Chicago
Arizona
Nashville
Minnesota
Anaheim
San Jose
Vancouver

UFA is nice. But really, we don't have any great RHDs knocking on the door. So someone with with 2-3 years on a deal isn't bad either.

RD who could work and be available + salary beyond this year

Columbus - Gudbranson 3x$4M
Philadelphia - Ristolainen 4x$5.1, Braun (UFA)
Ottawa - Zub (UFA), Hamonic (UFA)
Montreal - David Savard. 2x$3.5M
Chicago - Connor Murphy. 3x$4.3
Seattle - Adam Larsson 2x$4M
Vancouver - Luke Schenn UFA, Tyler Myers 1x$6M.

Looking at this list,
* Risto is too expensive for too long and I doubt he'd be real happy playing behind Seider and Hronek. Pushing him down to a 3D could make him really effective.
* Gudbranson. Perfect Yzerman type. Kind of expensive, but affordable.
* Zub would be fantastic if Ottawa doesn't sign him. At his age, though, I don't think he'd be easy to sign if he was relegated to 15 minutes a night.
* Hamonic. Honestly, getting him and signing him for a couple years could be great. But he does miss a lot of games.
* Savard. Honestly, perhaps the best fit. Not sure he's ready for the reduction in icetime, but this would be a coup. Big. Physical. Cupwinner.
* Murphy. Overpaid for what he is. But what he is isn't bad. 6'4 RD with decent skating. That extra year sucks. But I'd swallow depending on what it costs to get him.
* Larsson. 6'2, 208 pound Dman plays a fairly heavy game. He's probably too good to be a 15-18 minute a night guy at 30 years old.
* Schenn. 6'2, 225 pound dude who plays a heavy game and has 2 Stanley Cups..
* Myers. 6'8 defenseman. Still pretty solid. About to be 33. Is he ready for a reduced role? Can Yzerman absorb that salary?

-
Best 3 options.
1. Luke Schenn - Right role. Right brand of hockey. Cheap/UFA.
2. Savard Two more years at $3.5M? That's great. Is he ready to take a lesser role? 6'2, 233 pounder. He could have a job here for 4 years cause there aren't a lot of natural RD burning up the organization.
3. Gudbranson - If the Bluejackets eat a bit of salary, 3x4 isn't too bad for him.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
We need someone to be in that Pysyk role.
Shouldn't be too hard to find.
Reliable, defensive 3rd pairing RD.
The question is, what do you want to pay?

Teams falling out of the race fast:
Columbus
Philadelphia
Buffalo
Ottawa
Montreal
Chicago
Arizona
Nashville
Minnesota
Anaheim
San Jose
Vancouver

UFA is nice. But really, we don't have any great RHDs knocking on the door. So someone with with 2-3 years on a deal isn't bad either.

RD who could work and be available + salary beyond this year

Columbus - Gudbranson 3x$4M
Philadelphia - Ristolainen 4x$5.1, Braun (UFA)
Ottawa - Zub (UFA), Hamonic (UFA)
Montreal - David Savard. 2x$3.5M
Chicago - Connor Murphy. 3x$4.3
Seattle - Adam Larsson 2x$4M
Vancouver - Luke Schenn UFA, Tyler Myers 1x$6M.

Looking at this list,
* Risto is too expensive for too long and I doubt he'd be real happy playing behind Seider and Hronek. Pushing him down to a 3D could make him really effective.
* Gudbranson. Perfect Yzerman type. Kind of expensive, but affordable.
* Zub would be fantastic if Ottawa doesn't sign him. At his age, though, I don't think he'd be easy to sign if he was relegated to 15 minutes a night.
* Hamonic. Honestly, getting him and signing him for a couple years could be great. But he does miss a lot of games.
* Savard. Honestly, perhaps the best fit. Not sure he's ready for the reduction in icetime, but this would be a coup. Big. Physical. Cupwinner.
* Murphy. Overpaid for what he is. But what he is isn't bad. 6'4 RD with decent skating. That extra year sucks. But I'd swallow depending on what it costs to get him.
* Larsson. 6'2, 208 pound Dman plays a fairly heavy game. He's probably too good to be a 15-18 minute a night guy at 30 years old.
* Schenn. 6'2, 225 pound dude who plays a heavy game and has 2 Stanley Cups..
* Myers. 6'8 defenseman. Still pretty solid. About to be 33. Is he ready for a reduced role? Can Yzerman absorb that salary?

-
Best 3 options.
1. Luke Schenn - Right role. Right brand of hockey. Cheap/UFA.
2. Savard Two more years at $3.5M? That's great. Is he ready to take a lesser role? 6'2, 233 pounder. He could have a job here for 4 years cause there aren't a lot of natural RD burning up the organization.
3. Gudbranson - If the Bluejackets eat a bit of salary, 3x4 isn't too bad for him.

Zub, Schenn, or savard would all be great, Murphy too but a little expensive for 3 RHD

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We aren't competing for the cup this season.

To think otherwise is insanity.
Just to be insane I will try second time
Perron - Larkin - Kubalik
Bertuzzi -Malkin- Raymond
Sundqvist - Copp- Rasmussen
Erne- Suter - Veleno
Letang - Seider
Maata - Hronek
Chiarot - Walman
Some of them might in wrong position, but this team could compete for cup, we only need Pittsburgh to be sellers

Reactions: 13to40

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
How? When? He was literally in the Wings' promo video today... coming off the ice after practice getting asked about who would be the worst thanksgiving dinner cook. Strange

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Just to be insane I will try second time
Perron - Larkin - Kubalik
Bertuzzi -Malkin- Raymond
Sundqvist - Copp- Rasmussen
Erne- Suter - Veleno
Letang - Seider
Maata - Hronek
Chiarot - Walman
Some of them might in wrong position, but this team could compete for cup, we only need Pittsburgh to be sellers
Those two acquisitions would be the two most stupid acquisitions in the history of ever.

Reactions: 14ari13

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Those two acquisitions would be the two most stupid acquisitions in the history of ever.
Those two could still play very good hockey, they will not be expensive and will bring a lot of Stanley cup experience.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Those two could still play very good hockey, they will not be expensive and will bring a lot of Stanley cup experience.
Do you want to know why they might not be expensive? Because they are making $6m+ until they are 40-41 years old.

Under no circumstances do you let Pitt off the hook for these.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
What's with you and competing for a cup. This team is nowhere near the yet.
There could be different scenarios in the end of the season, we don't know yet , December we will know more about this team. I hope we are not in the playoffs this year and will get couple first round picks, but if RW really good before playoffs start then it makes sense to get better at #2 center and fix our first ld

Last edited:

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
(He has an Achilles heel? Not just tendons?)

Sucks, really unfortunate for both him and the team. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Zub, Schenn, or savard would all be great, Murphy too but a little expensive for 3 RHD

Savard was on my FA wishlist a couple of seasons ago. He would be phenomenal as the 3rd pair RD.

Chiarot - Seider
Maatta - Hronek
Walman - Savard

Next year Walman is replaced by Edvinsson.

Schenn would be a really solid vet pickup and he could be paired with Chiarot for a dedicated shutdown pair.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad