OT: Mark Messier award

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We've had the Mark Messier award for a few years now and it still hasn't grown on me. I know the same could be said for a lot of other awards, but doesn't this award just seem like some kind of popularity contest?

To define the best leader is a pretty hard thing to do and to announce the winners before the conclusion of the seasons seems flat out weird to me. Like... what if the Ducks and the Hawks lost this round of the playoffs? (yeah seems impossible at this point)

That really wouldn't say much.

I also don't want to suggest that Toews and Getslaf aren't great captains, because I'd personally love to have either of them captain the Oilers... but praising Getslaf and Toews for being such awesome captains over the other captains in the league is like praising a raise horse in a crab race.

There's no way Ladd is going to win it, but he's the only guy that got more out of his team than what was expected of him. Before the season started there was no shortage of doubters in the media that suggested that the Jets might be a bottom 5 team due to poor goaltending, weak offence and lack of discipline.

One could suggest that Ladd, despite all of the Kane drama surrounding the team, lead the team to be better than most expected my making the playoffs.

Getslaf captained the Ducks to 1st in the West. Who cares? They were supposed to. Their team is stacked with star power, size and depth.

Toews captained the Hawks to another playoff run. Seriously? The guy is making 10.5 million next year. Along with Kane. They've got 4-5 legit 1st line forwards and 2.5 1st pairing d-men. They're supposed to make the playoffs and they're supposed to go deep into the playoffs.

I really feel that this award is just patting a few guys on the back for doing what they were supposed to do.

On top of that, who could really vote on this award? I'm having a really hard time answering that.

Last edited:

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
It's kind of weird, I agree.

Toews is going to have this thing locked up for the next decade anyways.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
It's stupid.

I was also upset when they changed the LBP to the Ted Lindsey award.

The Selke is stupid but I suppose you can keep it since it's been around so long.

I was always skeptical of goalies getting consideration for the Hart then along comes Carey Price with the season he just had and its justifiable.

The NHL awards are kind of ridiculous/strange.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's stupid.

I was also upset when they changed the LBP to the Ted Lindsey award.

The Selke is stupid but I suppose you can keep it since it's been around so long.

I was always skeptical of goalies getting consideration for the Hart then along comes Carey Price with the season he just had and its justifiable.

The NHL awards are kind of ridiculous/strange.

The Noris is a joke too. Shutdown d-men don't get enough appreciation. Guys put themselves through unimaginable punishment blocking shots, winning puck battles and taking hits in the corners to keep their team on top and I can't remember a shutdown d-man ever winning a Noris.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The Noris is a joke too. Shutdown d-men don't get enough appreciation. Guys put themselves through unimaginable punishment blocking shots, winning puck battles and taking hits in the corners to keep their team on top and I can't remember a shutdown d-man ever winning a Noris.

I don't think there is any way the Norris is getting fixed unless they implement an Art Ross award for d-men, otherwise the PHWA (Pro Hockey Writers Association) just gravitate to whomever has the most points. I also think half the issue is the people voting and how unknowledgeable a lot of hockey writers are today, I think this was highlighted quite well when they had them voting for the all-star team and were advised that Ovechkin switched to right wing and he actually played there for a while and they still voted him on to the team as both a RW and a LW.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Most of the NHL awards aren't necessary, just an excuse to hand out a trophy. This one is the worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad