Prospect Info: Mark McNeill vs Ryan Hartman vs Garrett Ross

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Who has the brightest future with the hawks?

They all seem to put up similar production in the AHL. I was just wondering who you guys think will make the most impact on the hawks, and why?

Who's the best player? Offensive? All around?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I voted Ryan Hartman because he has played well with the Hawks and been hot as **** since going back down.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I like McNeill more than Hartman (and Ross), but I'm not sure he has a future on this team. I still voted McNeill, but wouldn't be surprised if Hartman becomes the more influential player on the Hawks simply because McNeill might get traded away.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Went with Hartman who seems safe bet to have role with team going forward

McNeill has clearly not impressed upper management of Hawks and Ross isn't as sure a thing as Hartman to have NHL career at this point

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Definitely Hartman, for me. Wish there was more of an opportunity to give him an extended look this year. From what I've seen of him (granted, I'm going off of Plymouth to a degree, but I don't really see Rockford), I think he's got more upside than Shaw.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I don't think McNeill has the higher upside. Hartman has turned it on in a big way and he is just amazing to watch. His hands and vision are very underrated. I look at him like a future Marchand. I look at McNeill like a Justin Abdelkader.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
It's definitely a fairly tight race and a nice problem for the Hawks to have.
Ross has effectively produced in the minors - leading the Hogs - and plays with an edge that might slot him in.
Both McNeill and Hartman can play that similar tough style, and it's something the Hawks have been missing for a few years.

If I had to guess, I'd say that McNeill has a slightly higher upside and will land in a second line role, where I see Hartman landing on a third line.
That being said, trying to predict coach Q's lines is a complete waste of time.

The good thing is that all three players give a viable option for getting rid of Bickell's contract this summer. I hope he has a great playoff again, which will help to up his value so Bowman can get some assets back in return.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
This is what I was going to say. McNeill definitely has the higher upside.

And it's not even close. And this is coming from a guy who loves Hartman. I've seen McNeill show amazing flashes. Unfortunately, that's his biggest problem.. flashes.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Question: where do you guys think schmaltz fits amongst these Players?

Last edited:

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
Schmaltz is a much different player than these guys. His offensive potential is probably higher, but he doesn't play the same style game and he's at least a few years away from cracking the roster. Whereas any of these three have a significant opportunity to be on the main squad next year.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Brass doesn't seem very high on McNeill. His numbers gave them every reason to get a cup of coffee and yet he never got the call.

Hartman feels like Ross with more upside.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Schmaltz is a much different player than these guys. His offensive potential is probably higher, but he doesn't play the same style game and he's at least a few years away from cracking the roster. Whereas any of these three have a significant opportunity to be on the main squad next year.

Yes ... though Ross won't likely be ready yet either.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
Brass doesn't seem very high on McNeill. His numbers gave them every reason to get a cup of coffee and yet he never got the call.

It does seem strange. He's leading the Hogs in Pts/G. He's also a +14.
Early on in the season he was a top-10 in AHL scoring until he was injured (was over a PPG). I'm hoping they are just taking their time with him, but it must be a shock for a guy to be patient and put in your time only to see a guy like Baun get signed and inserted almost instantly... not the first time this has happened.
I actually think Baun has played quite well, but still.

McNeill seems to fit the bill for exactly what the Hawks are missing; a Bickell-esque type player with a much higher upside. Personally, I think he makes the Hawks next season and sticks with the team.

Dumb question... does it matter with respect to his contract whether he plays a single game this season? Would it eat up a year?

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Of the 3

Upside: McNeil. Probability of NHL success: Hartman.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Hartman. McNeill has yet to impress me at least from his camp showings unless he has made some quantum leap in his play this past season.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I don't think McNeill has the higher upside. Hartman has turned it on in a big way and he is just amazing to watch. His hands and vision are very underrated. I look at him like a future Marchand. I look at McNeill like a Justin Abdelkader.

If McNeill ends up like Abdelkader, I and most Hawks fans would be very pleased. Get to see a lot of him living in Michigan. High energy physical guy combined with some offense, the likes of which the Hawks don't currently have on the team.

Detroit fans have come around on him the past two years, and he fits anywhere in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad