Player Discussion Mark Letestu

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I didn't see a Player Discussion on Mark Letestu so I felt we needed to discuss about this guy. He's got 11 points in 12 playoff games with 5 goals. Does Letestu become our Pisani from 2006? Seems like it. So glad he has stepped it up in the playoffs. If there was one player Chiarelli made a good call on, it was Letestu. He's also gaining chemistry from McDavid on the PP always sniping those pucks in the net. Amazing to watch :yo:

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Even at 32, I think he's a no-brainer to protect from the expansion draft.
Such a good nose for goal and a quick release. And most importantly, right handed!

I always remark at how heavily skewed LH our top end guys are, vs how heavily skewed RH the ducks top guys are.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
His contributions to this team this season have been exceptional. Going full Pisani in the playoffs, bouncing back after a tough play on Friday.

What more can you say, he's been everything and more as a 4th line center.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I didn't see a Player Discussion on Mark Letestu so I felt we needed to discuss about this guy. He's got 11 points in 12 playoff games with 5 goals. Does Letestu become our Pisani from 2006? Seems like it. So glad he has stepped it up in the playoffs. If there was one player Chiarelli made a good call on, it was Letestu. He's also gaining chemistry from McDavid on the PP always sniping those pucks in the net. Amazing to watch :yo:
I remember when Boyd Gordon was traded and Letestu signed, IATL was hysterical for months.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
He's been great for us. I'd for sure protect him in the expansion draft. Right now, this is what I'd go with:

Lucic
Nuge
Kassian
Letestu
Maroon
Draisaitl
Khaira
Larsson
Sekera
Klefbom
Talbot

Exempt:

McDavid
Caggiula
Slepyshev
Benning
Nurse

Exposed:

Eberle
Pouliot
Fayne
Reinhart
Brossoit

Oilers93

Apr 27, 2012
Edmonton
He's been great for us. I'd for sure protect him in the expansion draft. Right now, this is what I'd go with:

Lucic
Nuge
Kassian
Letestu
Maroon
Draisaitl
Khaira
Larsson
Sekera
Klefbom
Talbot

Exempt:

McDavid
Caggiula
Slepyshev
Benning
Nurse

Exposed:

Eberle
Pouliot
Fayne
Reinhart
Brossoit

:skeptic:

Oilers93

Apr 27, 2012
Edmonton
I'm pretty high on him, so yes, I'd protect him.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big JJ fan as well but protecting him at the expense of a proven goal scorer coming off a season with his lowest shooting percentage (which should rebound next season) is rather foolish imo. If you want Eberle gone surely there's a better way to do it than let Vegas have him for free

Zihuatanejo

Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Don't get me wrong, I am a big JJ fan as well but protecting him at the expense of a proven goal scorer coming off a season with his lowest shooting percentage (which should rebound next season) is rather foolish imo. If you want Eberle gone surely there's a better way to do it than let Vegas have him for free

This. Letting Eberle go for free is not a smart move even if you are not a fan of him as a player.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
This. Letting Eberle go for free is not a smart move even if you are not a fan of him as a player.

He's a one dimensional, 2nd line winger making $6M. If the cap wasn't a concern, I'd agree with what you're saying. But if we could rid ourselves of $6M in cap space, it would give us a lot more flexibility going forward.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I doubt Khaira would get picked up with Pouliot on the board.

Getting rid of Eberle for nothing is dumb.

There are very few opportunities to drop a players big cap hit like we will have this summer. Maybe Chia can get a pick or two out of LV for him, and if so, great. But otherwise, the only other way I see us moving him is for an equally bad contract. I'd rather have the cap space.

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
I think Letestu has been great on the power play but he's nothing more than a fourth liner at even strength. He needs very limited minutes then and probably on the PK going forward.

I don't think it'd be that hard to find a RH to play with McDavid and the gang on PP1. I wouldn't protect Letestu. They'll pick G.Reinhart anyways.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Even at 32, I think he's a no-brainer to protect from the expansion draft.
Such a good nose for goal and a quick release. And most importantly, right handed!

I always remark at how heavily skewed LH our top end guys are, vs how heavily skewed RH the ducks top guys are.

Can they protect both Kassian and LEtestu? might be only one of them. I think if you protect one, it has to be Kassian. Don't get me wrong, Letestu has been overachiever in his role, but he's getting up in age and the Oilers may not even re-sign him, when his contract comes up.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
There are very few opportunities to drop a players big cap hit like we will have this summer. Maybe Chia can get a pick or two out of LV for him, and if so, great. But otherwise, the only other way I see us moving him is for an equally bad contract. I'd rather have the cap space.

Yeah, if antyhing, given the shortage of skilled forwards that will be available in the draft, Eberle will be an ideal trade target for LAs Vegas. Eberle for a top 4 defenseman could do it. But I don't know if the Oilers are necessarily looking to unload Eberle just yet. Puljujaarvi is not ready and there is no one for the 2RW spot, if Draisaitl remains on the first line.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Letestu took a lot of grief when he was traded here, and for the first year after. Mostly, it was because the team wasn't well rounded yet, and he was asked to play out of his role. Too many minutes, too far up the food chain. He's in his element now, and slotted in perfectly. He's taken the spot on the PP mostly because Eberle failed to grasp that opportunity and he's run with it. Always had big time skill, but under appreciated. Good that he's finally getting some love now.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Smart, experienced, hard working role players like Letestu don't come around and fit with the team chemistry very often like he has. I'm all for keeping him protected. His skill set isn't irreplaceable, but at this point in this teams development, his other qualities that he brings on a daily basis to his lines and the team are, IMO. Strong 5 vs 5, strong PK, strong PP......seems to be a great team guy that's needed with the young guys. Love what he's done for us.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
Since two forwards need to be exposed that either a) played in 40 games this season, or b) 70 combined the previous two, Khaira doesn't fit the bill, at least to meet that criteria. So he's probably worth protecting. Pouliot would fill one slot, but it would probably have to be Kass/Letestu/Ebs for the second.

With regards to Letestu, I think he's an adequate 3rd/4th line center, and that doesn't take into account his proficiency on the PP. It would hurt to lose him for sure.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Since two forwards need to be exposed that either a) played in 40 games this season, or b) 70 combined the previous two, Khaira doesn't fit the bill, at least to meet that criteria. So he's probably worth protecting. Pouliot would fill one slot, but it would probably have to be Kass/Letestu/Ebs for the second.

With regards to Letestu, I think he's an adequate 3rd/4th line center, and that doesn't take into account his proficiency on the PP. It would hurt to lose him for sure.

Re-signing Pakarinen would cover the second slot as well. As of now I expect that's what they'll do, which will allow both Letestu and Kassian to be protected. Although I wouldn't count out Chia picking up another forward to protect.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I think Letestu has been great on the power play but he's nothing more than a fourth liner at even strength. He needs very limited minutes then and probably on the PK going forward.

I don't think it'd be that hard to find a RH to play with McDavid and the gang on PP1. I wouldn't protect Letestu. They'll pick G.Reinhart anyways.
This

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Letestu took a lot of grief when he was traded here, and for the first year after. Mostly, it was because the team wasn't well rounded yet, and he was asked to play out of his role. Too many minutes, too far up the food chain. He's in his element now, and slotted in perfectly. He's taken the spot on the PP mostly because Eberle failed to grasp that opportunity and he's run with it. Always had big time skill, but under appreciated. Good that he's finally getting some love now.

Letestu was a free agent signing. It was Korpikoski they traded Gordon for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad