Mark Letestu (CBJ Fans Like him, Pens Fans Don't Miss Him.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon Priest

Elvenlegions
Nov 8, 2007
Metalheaven
I'm sure its already been said but, he was a center, Pens already had center depth and he wasn't effective as a winger. I think they also wanted to clear a contract off the books or a roster spot for another transaction or for Sid for when he returned following his concussion. Letestu has also seemed to improve in Columbus. Seems like a better player now then when he was when he was in Pittsburgh.

IHeartZherdev*

So I guess if the center issue was a big deal...well, that's even worse considering the one they had didn't want to be there and wanted to go to Carolina.

In that case, if they had kept Letestu, they'd have a 3rd line center who is currently more productive than Sutter, and then the Pens would have been able to deal Staal for the top pairing defenseman or top winger they need to help them win now, as opposed to picks/prospects/Sutter who couldn't really contribute to their playoff run.

IHeartZherdev*

What role players were not better than Letestu? They are role players and they played their roles perfectly. Among forwards Adams was 2nd on the team in hits, blocked shots, & 1st for short handed time. He played that role perfectly.

Kennedy, Glass, Adams, Vitale, Jokinen, Morrow, and Jeffrey I don't think were as good this year as Letestu was. Obviously in point production they weren't but Testy was also a big part of the PK.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
So I guess if the center issue was a big deal...well, that's even worse considering the one they had didn't want to be there and wanted to go to Carolina.

In that case, if they had kept Letestu, they'd have a 3rd line center who is currently more productive than Sutter, and then the Pens would have been able to deal Staal for the top pairing defenseman or top winger they need to help them win now, as opposed to picks/prospects/Sutter who couldn't really contribute to their playoff run.

I don't know what you're trying to prove here, but no one really cares about losing Mark Letestu.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Brandon Sutter is better than Mark Letestu. So is Jussi Jokinen.

And either way, you are ignoring the fact that somebody had to be moved and he was playing some pretty bad hockey at the time. Even if Letestu is better than some of the 4th liners, it made more sense to trade Letestu than to waive one of the 4th liners for nothing. Also, comparing players today is meaningless here considering this trade happened what, a year and a half ago?

If we are going to use hindsight here, the obvious right move would have been to keep Crosby sitting since he came back and was immediately hurt again.

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Kennedy, Glass, Adams, Vitale, Jokinen, Morrow, and Jeffrey I don't think were as good this year as Letestu was. Obviously in point production they weren't but Testy was also a big part of the PK.

It's funny hearing him called 'Testy' ... he was 'Tube' or 'Test Tube' here.

I get what you're trying to say. Letestu has been a very valuable player for your team, and compared to some of the other players the Pens kept it may seem a little strange he was the one cut loose. But it was more or less two seasons ago, and while most of us are happy he's doing well in Columbus, we moved on a long time ago. Also, keep in mind you're talking to a fan base that is still upset about being swept, and the coaching decisions and roster choices that went into it. So, walk softly, please.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Seriously this.

Good on Letestu for making a niche for himself after being an undrafted FA.

And I would hope most Pens fans would rather have Sutter than him. ;)

Maybe an Isles fan can come talk about Moulson next. Sure, it was a lot longer ago. But at least in that case, we'd be talking about a player who would actually make our 12 man roster.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Jackets fan here in peace....after watching the Pens loss, one thing I can't figure out: why did Shero just give us Mark Letestu for basically nothing? Was there something going on behind the scenes there with him?

He was an excellent two-way forward this year, who scored clutch goals and made key plays, helped out on special teams, and by all accounts was one of the more popular guys amongst his teammates. He played in all roles, and seems like just the contributing, reliable role player the Pens could have used in these playoffs. Also, complete team-first guy who never complains about his role, being a scratch or about ice time or anything.
What you should be wondering is why a centerman that is 5th on one team's depth chart is suddenly 1st on anothers. That should concern you.

Plus - and maybe just as importantly as far as the Pens are concerned with their cap issues, he is incredibly cheap (was making $600K this year, resigned for a cheap 2 year deal paying $1.2 million per).

He had 27 points this year, more than Brenden Morrow and Jussi Jokinen, and on top of being cheaper, is obviously younger and faster. On top of that, Letestu is also clearly better than guys like Kennedy, Jeffrey, Vitale, Glass, and Adams...

I know the Iginla and other deadline moves make all the headlines and news, but I think giving away a guy like Letestu has to be one of the more costly moves of the Shero era. Anyway, we're loving Letestu here in Columbus and was wondering what Pens fans think of letting him go, I've never really heard a Pitt perspective on the deal. Seemed so minor at the time, for both teams, but in retrospect, I think it had a big impact, especially on the Pens who could have used him this year.

Morrow and Jokinen spent most of their seasons with other teams, so I don't see how their point totals are relevant. They put up points as Penguins, more than Letestu did with CBJ or would have with Pittsburgh.

Letestu may be better than Vitale, Kennedy and Adams but he doesn't play the 4th line role that those guys do. And that's why they're around and he's not.

Letestu is a pretty classic case of a half-decent hockey player getting an opportunity on a pretty bad team and making the most of it. Not unlike Frans Nielson with the Islanders, Eric Perrin with LA or Rico Fata way back when with Pittsburgh. But the chances that he's highly sought-after by the rest of the NHL are slim.

IHeartZherdev*

What you should be wondering is why a centerman that is 5th on one team's depth chart is suddenly 1st on anothers. That should concern you.

He's not #1 on the CBJ depth chart. What are you talking about?

IHeartZherdev*

Morrow and Jokinen spent most of their seasons with other teams, so I don't see how their point totals are relevant. They put up points as Penguins, more than Letestu did with CBJ or would have with Pittsburgh.

You're right, stupid to use players point totals when discussing their productivity. My bad.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The Blue Jackets are garbage. And your attempt to turn Mark Letestu into Marcus Naslund is failing. Log off.

IHeartZherdev*

The Blue Jackets are garbage. And your attempt to turn Mark Letestu into Marcus Naslund is failing. Log off.

yeah. calling a player a good "role player" is attempting to turn him into marcus naslund. ok.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
hey, if you "heart" Nikolai Zherdev, you gotta hold onto the few positives you can find as a fan.

Karnage420*

you really think we miss letestu? we have his slightly better clone Dustin Jeffrey sitting in the pressbox daily.

Letestu is literally the most average center in the league.

Dragon Priest

Elvenlegions
Nov 8, 2007
Metalheaven

1. Sutter > Letestu everyday of the week.
2. Sutter was not very good in the playoffs. Had a stellar regular season, though. However, it was his first go in the playoffs and I expect him to get stronger and learn from experience for future playoff hockey.
3. The bold is an interesting thought, but I'd rather have Sutter as my 3rd line center. Letestu is average, players like him are dime a doze through out the league.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't really care about Letestu. I sure do miss Hossa every time I turn on a Hawks game. :(

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Glad for the Test Tube, but there was no room for him here. He was given some pretty significant playing time and responsibility during some of those bad injury periods and he never really took full advantage. Good guy though.

BTW I improved the thread title's accuracy for you, since you were not aware that nobody is missing Mark Letestu. ;)

I figure I'll let a few more people get their shots in then lock 'er up for posterity.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Glad for the Test Tube, but there was no room for him here. He was given some pretty significant playing time and responsibility during some of those bad injury periods and he never really took full advantage. Good guy though.

BTW I improved the thread title's accuracy for you, since you were not aware that nobody is missing Mark Letestu. ;)

I figure I'll let a few more people get their shots in then lock 'er up for posterity

Well if you're gonna let us....

Jeff Carter

IHeartZherdev*

I figure I'll let a few more people get their shots in then lock 'er up for posterity.

Lock'er up then, ham and eggs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad