Mark Howe's Injury

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't think I ever notice that design before. Was it designed so the puck would come back out of the net once it went in? Gosh dang I don't want to see any injury tapes from that thing it must be gruesome.

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
I saw this photo and thought of your post.

This was this GWG in the first game of the 1930 Stanley Cup Finals. Albert Leduc had just gone around Eddie Shore to score on Tiny Thompson.

Look at how much the puck "punches" the net out compared to today! There was a lot of slack in that twine.

Boston-Globe-4-2-30-2.png

Nothing like the 1930s hockey aesthetic of a goalie wearing a baseball cap

Noteworthy that Art Ross, the inventor, was on the bench coaching the Bruins during this game.

And some people wonder why we stick to our guns on the naming of the trophies.

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
I saw this photo and thought of your post.

This was this GWG in the first game of the 1930 Stanley Cup Finals. Albert Leduc had just gone around Eddie Shore to score on Tiny Thompson.

Look at how much the puck "punches" the net out compared to today! There was a lot of slack in that twine.

Boston-Globe-4-2-30-2.png

Noteworthy that Art Ross, the inventor, was on the bench coaching the Bruins during this game.
Also, re this, my guess on why the design was abandoned slack wise was probably safety related. In the 1974 NYR-PHI Game 7 that was posted a few weeks back, Park somehow got his skate stuck in the mesh, which probably would be a tangle/tripping hazard if it had as much slack in it as in the pic above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad