Player Discussion Mark Friedman

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
How the hell was this guy a throw away for Pittsburgh?? Has our pro scouting ever been this good? Gillis hit on Higgins, Lapierre, etc but new management is on a different level. Cammi is head of pro scouting yeah? This could be an interesting advantage having a woman with the accolades she has running that department.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Guy sure knows how to piss people off. I don't know what his schtick is yet. Is he mouthy, a diver, a subtle cheap-shot artist? It looks like we'll probably find out because his play should keep him in the lineup for the time being.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Guy sure knows how to piss people off. I don't know what his schtick is yet. Is he mouthy, a diver, a subtle cheap-shot artist? It looks like we'll probably find out because his play should keep him in the lineup for the time being.

He said he played soccer growing up so he knows all the little things that piss people off. From what I can tell, it’s the little but ends when no one is looking and grabbing & pulling as soon as the ref has their back turned. Just enough to drive someone crazy over the course of a shift/period/game.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

I might be getting him confused with someone else but I think Frankie Corrado during an interview talked about how Friedman was really mouthy and could get under people's skin and it was almost too much.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I’ll wait for a larger sample as it is tiny.

But Cole and Friedman have amazing underlying numbers

Cole with Myers was mixing oil with water. Just horrendous and a cancer of a pairing.

Like to see them reach 100 minutes together and see if it continues. (They’re about 35 minutes)
Cause they are rocking one of the highest expected goal differentials which will certainly drop. But it looks really good right now.

Reactions: vanuck

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I didn’t realize this, but over the 4 seasons prior to this one, Friedman has only played a total of 135 games (an average of less than 34 games a season)

Kind of a similar situation to Wolanin in that after he turned pro, he went through a long stretch of just not getting to play hockey…

…despite his age, maybe there is a rare opportunity for a little bit of growth in his game with more actual game time.

Thus far he seems like a slight upgrade on a guy like Kyle Burroughs (I feel dirty for saying that though because I, like many Canuck fans, loved Burroughs).

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I poo-poo'd this deal when it was made, thinking it was just a shuffling of minor league contracts to do Rathbone a solid. The other 2 contracts involved still don't really make sense imo, but Freidman has been a nice add by Allvin.

Sorta puts Myers' play in perspective, when this journeyman tweener can step in and badly outplay him. Myers has strung together a couple solid games in a row now, so probably a result of Freidman being the role model Myers needed all along.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canuck pro scouting really seems to have turned a corner......they're actually acquiring guys who can legitimately step into the lineup and contribute.

Guys like Blueger, Suter, Lafferty, Studnicka, Cole, Soucy and now Friedman--all solid contributors in the early going. They know their role and and playing it to the hilt. More solid depth players than the Canucks have had in years.

Reactions: Snatcher Demko

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Canuck pro scouting really seems to have turned a corner......they're actually acquiring guys who can legitimately step into the lineup and contribute.

Guys like Blueger, Suter, Lafferty, Studnicka, Cole, Soucy and now Friedman--all solid contributors in the early going. They know their role and and playing it to the hilt. More solid depth players than the Canucks have had in years.

Early in the season but can’t say that about Suter so far

Reactions: BimJenning

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Friedman had a breakout game against the Sharks, but a tough night with sticks and pucks to his face.

Kind of reminds me of a 'Mike Weaver'; kind of d-man. Undersized but combative. Definitely a keeper who improves the Canucks defensive depth--a key to surviving a long, grueling season.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Let's see a larger sample size—but he is suitably filling in as a top-four four defenseman.

Rutherford has been as good as anyone in the league at finding the next Mark Donk or Buzz Flibbet.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He’s been the low guy in TOI for the past few games now so he’s not actually being played as a top-4. He’s exactly what the team needed, though. Juulsen has loud physical skills and looks like an NHL defenceman while Friedman can actually play the position.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Glad to hear he's doing well in Vancouver. A number of us Pens fans wanted him playing over Ruhwedel.
Thanks Randy Butternubs. Hopefully Rathbone develops well and can become an NHL regular in the next year or two. He might be able to fill in if Karlsson/Letang get injured and be mostly deployed offensively, but his defensive game still needs a fair amount of work.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Even if the team upgrades on RHD depth

He is still an every day player, deserves more than Myers

What a trade. I sure hope Pittsburgh enjoys Rathbone

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Let's see a larger sample size—but he suitably filling in as a top-four four defenseman.

Rutherford has been as good as anyone in the league at finding the next Mark Donk or Buzz Flibbet.
For some reason, I still remember til this day.

The Trevor Dailey acquasition at the TDL of 2016, it was a such a brilliant and crucial move that contributed to Pittsburgh's b2b cups

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For some reason, I still remember til this day.

The Trevor Dailey acquasition at the TDL of 2016, it was a such a brilliant and crucial move that contributed to Pittsburgh's b2b cups

That was actually earlier in the 15-16 season than the deadline, but yeah.

Chicago was still a 'contender' at that point and somehow - despite already having defensive issues - gave a guy who would play top-4 minutes in back-to-back Cups for Pittsburgh to them in exchange for a washed-up Rob Scuderi who was out of hockey at the end of that season.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
That was actually earlier in the 15-16 season than the deadline, but yeah.

Chicago was still a 'contender' at that point and somehow - despite already having defensive issues - gave a guy who would play top-4 minutes in back-to-back Cups for Pittsburgh to them in exchange for a washed-up Rob Scuderi who was out of hockey at the end of that season.
Stan Bowman

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Ever notice that on just about every good NHL team, each player has a clearly-defined role and completely understands what is expected of them.

Friedman is just another example of the kind of players that Allvin and Rutherford have stockpiled at the bottom of the roster. Strikes me that Lafferty, Beauvillier, Suter, Di Giuseppe, DeSmith and even Studnicka are the quintessential depth guys that every team has to have to be successful. And I'm sure Blueger will eventually fit it in seamlessly as well.

Friedmen is the type of guy who can play eight minutes a night or 18 if you need him to step up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad