Recalled/Assigned: Mark Fayne Recalled

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Ideally you'd have Reinhart up with him. It's bad when this team has 3 3million+ defenders that I would perfer to never touch the ice again in an Oiler's jersey.

At this point I think the best defence they could ice when healthy is a top 4 of Klefbom, Sekera, Davidson and Nurse with Reinhart and Fayne as a third pairing. Though, Bakersfield is still the best spot for Reinhart to develop.

This team really needs to swap out Schultz or Fayne with a legit top 4 guy. A number 1 would be nice, but really any legitimate defenceman top 4 would do.

A Garrison or Coburn out of TB, Tytuin from Columbus, Myers in Winnipeg, Ehrhoff in LA, Gunnarsson in StL. This aren't guys that should cost an arm and a leg to aquire, but would go a long way to solidifying this defence.

Klefbom-Coburn
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Gyrba/Fayne

In this devision, that defence could compete. But so long as you're iceing Nikitin and Schultz, this teams going to fail to get any traction...

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
That's basically our top pairing right now, not keen on that.

Just seems Nurse is starting to get a little overwhelmed as a 20 yr old top pairing guy playing over 20 mins a night....might be time to give him a little break on the quality of competition for a bit to get the swagger back.......give Fayne the chance to play with Sekera like he is paid to do

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
That's basically our top pairing right now, not keen on that.

And we don't have a choice. :)
Sekera and Fayne were (according to numbers and my eye at least) the best match.
Assuming Chia gets another defenseman, and removing 4 of the worse defenseman for next season (yes, I do not count Fayne) it would look like this just from my point...

better than what we have right now, due to injuries...

Klefbom- ?
Davidson-Sekera
Fayne-Nurse

You could swap Nurse Davidson, depending on puck moving etc.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just seems Nurse is starting to get a little overwhelmed as a 20 yr old top pairing guy playing over 20 mins a night....might be time to give him a little break on the quality of competition for a bit to get the swagger back.......give Fayne the chance to play with Sekera like he is paid to do

It would be nice to give him a bit of a breather especially while Klefbom is still out. However IMO the Sekera-Fayne pairing was a brutal one.

And we don't have a choice. :)
Sekera and Fayne were (according to numbers and my eye at least) the best match.
Assuming Chia gets another defenseman, and removing 4 of the worse defenseman for next season (yes, I do not count Fayne) it would look like this just from my point...

better than what we have right now, due to injuries...

Klefbom- ?
Davidson-Sekera
Fayne-Nurse

You could swap Nurse Davidson, depending on puck moving etc.

And here I thought that pairing was pretty bad and that was when Sekera was playing by far his worst hockey of the season.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
It would be nice to give him a bit of a breather especially while Klefbom is still out. However IMO the Sekera-Fayne pairing was a brutal one.

And here I thought that pairing was pretty bad and that was when Sekera was playing by far his worst hockey of the season.

The numbers were lowetide's by the way. He also said the same thing, Nurse played great the first couple games, but he has tailed off since, and neither those numbers or by eye show otherwise.
I think we concentrate so much on the bad mistakes that we forget about the good plays, and also, Sekera himself didn't play all that great during that time either. It is a good match on paper, they compliment each other quite well, so I figure it's worth a shot at the very least.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The numbers say Sekera/Fayne was arguably Fayne's best pairing, but they don't say they were necessarily a good pairing.

Everyone's numbers took a hit with Fayne. Sekera's just weren't hit as hard as the others.

I'd still be hesitant to put him anywhere near the top pairing

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I'd like to see Nurse play some easier minutes with Fayne, i think they'd compliment each other well. We really could use a bounce back from Fayne, he can be a real solid player when he's on his game but too many bad pinches and turnovers have plagued him this year. Hopefully he's used his time in the AHL to get some confidence back.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'm happy to see Fayne recalled, he played some horrible games and deserved to be raked over the coals, but his mistakes were more erratic than someone like Ference who is just horrible every night. Coaches absolutely hate players that they can't count on to give a solid performance every night and have huge dips in their performance level, but I still think his average level of play places him amongst our top 6 d-men even when we are fully healthy, maybe that is just a strong condemnation of our d-corps as a whole, but it's how I see things.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think we could see him with Klefbom.

Thoughts?

Davidson and Gryba would be a nice third pairing.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
I think we could see him with Klefbom.

Thoughts?

Davidson and Gryba would be a nice third pairing.

I like him with sekera tbh. Fayne has been the steady stay at home defender that we need.

Personally i would like
Sekera Fayne
Klefbom Schultz
Nurse Davidson
Gryba

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I thought in these last 5 or so games that he has been extremely weak on the puck. He is playing a safe 14-16minutes a night, and getting pushed over while doing it.

Belongs in the AHL, on any other team that is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad