Mark Cuban wants new arena with impossible standards

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
News Article

Cuban dreams of new arena; 'we're going to want a better situation than we've got now,' he says

Mark Cuban's always been a big dreamer, and often his seemingly grandiose plans have become reality.

So it was no surprise Wednesday night to hear Cuban detail the state-of-the-art practice facility for which he hopes to break ground by this summer. But then he lobbed a bombshell.

"Hopefully, we're looking at a 20-year-plan," he said. "I'll give you some food for thought: A couple of the [possible practice facility locations] are potential new arena sites, for after this lease ends."

"My dream -- and this is like the long, long, long, long shot -- is to build an arena 20 stories up in the air, where every seat has a view of downtown, whether it's north, south, east or west," Cuban said.

Asked how he came up with this vision, Cuban laughed and said, "That's what I do."

He compared the possibility of a high-rise arena to that of New York's Madison Square Garden (not coincidentally, the Knicks were in AAC on Wednesday night to face Cuban's Mavericks), which is built atop Pennsylvania Station.

"Imagine being 20 stories up, taking a page from ballparks like Pittsburgh and other places that have amazing views," Cuban said. "That's 'a vision.' It's not necessarily a slam dunk. But that's part of the thinking process."

Cuban said that since the AAC lease expires in 14 years, "you'd have to start building [a new arena] at around 7 [years]."

Good luck trying to get that arena even through the rendering phase, Marky.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Why do Mavs need a new arena?

Didn't they just open Mavs/Stars arena in early 00's?

It will be 15 years old in a couple of months, it's becoming obsolete now :sarcasm:

I don't know how others feel but I've been to the AAC and I think it's got to be one of the better arenas in the NBA/NHL so the thought of either the Mavs/Stars leaving is kind of funny to me. The Concourses are some of the nicest I've seen in any facility (think Symphony Hall). The location is pretty good, theres a light rail station that serves the Arena, there appears to be a boom in apartments and bars in the area.

Doubt this will happen but Cuban has got the $$$ to make it happen.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Well, if Cuban wants that arena, Cuban is welcome to use his own money to build whatever arena he wants.

Just don't expect the taxpayers to foot the bill for your personal playground.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
It would make for an amazing view, but are people supposed to be watching the basketball game or the view? Baseball is a long game, it's outdoors, it has lulls within the game - an outdoor view lends to the overall atmosphere.. Sports like basketball or hockey are a constant back and forth game - it keeps you engaged throughout so why would you want to spend a gazillion dollars for something that takes away from the actual game?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
How could the lines of sight & views even be achieved? Would it have cuts taken out of the ends, kind of like the Hawk's Nest in Seattle's football stadium? If the arena seating fully surrounds the court, you wouldn't be able to see anything except the seats across from you. Unless the view was upward, with buildings above, with a windowed ceiling? If that was the case it seems like it would want to be much lower than 20 stories.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00