Mario Lemieux's 1990 season

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Maybe it is just me, but I have always been a fan of this very underrated season of his. This was his 46 game point streak season. He had 103 points during that span. Overall he had 45 goals and 78 assists for 123 points in 59 games. But he left the game against the Rangers with a bad back and more or less never returned for another year. This was in February. He actually played in the final game of the season vs. Buffalo and had a goal and an assist. Basically the Penguins just needed to tie that game to get into the playoffs but lost in overtime to Buffalo. I can only imagine the pain Mario was in to play that game but they desperately needed him, yet came up short. He hadn't played in a month and a half, so no doubt he'd have been writhing in pain.

He "dropped" down to 2.08 PPG from 2.62 in 1989. I guess when you think about how his back was hurting him you can see why there was a drop off. It is still the 5th best season on a PPG level for him and the 7th highest point total of his career.

The one thing that sticks out is the -18. The Penguins of 1990 were a bad defensive team. The goaltending was horrendous that year, even Barrasso, and outside of Coffey they were horrible on defense. Zarley Zalapski should never be the 2nd best defenseman on any team. They were 4th in goals but 20th in goals against. Coffey had 103 points but was -25. Even the goals for and against while Lemieux was on the ice was not great. He was on the ice for 151 goals and 134 against. That's not good. But is it a product of the team or was it just a step back for Lemieux that year?

The previous year in 1989 they were just as bad defensively, yet Mario was +41 and had 199 points. By 1990 they at least had a young Stevens and Recchi on the team, but were worse.

Without Mario the Penguins were 5-12-3. With him they were 27-28-4. Big difference. So in a way if he is there healthy the whole year they aren't all that different than the 1989 team points-wise. But I guess the plus/minus thing really gets me here. Why was he +41 in 1989 and then -18 in 1990? I can't really figure that part out, which is why you can't always rely on that stat for starters but then again that is quite a bit of a difference in one year and I can't really explain it.

By 1991 the Pens were a much different team. From 1990 to 1991 alone these players were added: Francis, Jagr, Trottier, Ulfie, Mullen, Murphy. There was a step up with Recchi and Stevens and Coffey was still more or less the same. That is a much, much different team than 1990. Bob Johnson was the coach then too and they won the Cup of course.

But that 1990 season, if he has a full year, he has about 165 points. The Pens definitely make the playoffs and Mario wins the Art Ross over Gretzky and would have a lot of consideration for the Hart, although Messier did have a great year too. It is a year that for some reason rarely gets talked about, even when discussing Mario. But if you take away that plus/minus stat which I still can't figure out why it was so bad, he had an incredible year, I think.

Reactions: NHL WAR

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, his season was kind of odd. He scored only 5 goals in the first 12 games of the season (and I think 2 were into empty nets), but was still getting lots of assists. He started putting big goals on the board again in November. Maybe he wasn't quite in game shape to start the season...? I think in autumn 1987 he had come in after the Canada Cup in unusually great shape, and that helped him to have a big start to the season. He then repeated that routine (maybe he worked out at home?) in autumn 1988, and he had that October for the ages in October 1988 where he was insane the first month. But in October 1989, he was sluggish to start. I don't know if that was his back acting up, or just too much poutine that summer.

But, despite his slower point-production compared to the year before, he was more consistent, and had his 46-game streak.

Yeah, the minus 18 is weird, too. But I think, in addition to the Pens just being poor defensively, they had horror-show goaltending (Wendell Young) for much of the season, and, as Phil said, when Coffey and Zalapski are your two top D-men, there's not going to be a whole lot of good defense played. But as to why Mario's number was so much worse than the season prior, I don't know. Maybe the team was just quite bad five-on-five.

This 1989-90 season would have been an interesting scoring race between Wayne and Mario if both had played 80 games. This is how it was going month by month:
after October
1. Gretzky 26 PTS
6. Lemieux 20 PTS
after November
1. Gretzky 52 PTS
2. Lemieux 47 PTS
after December
1. Gretzky 80 PTS
2. Lemieux 76 PTS
after January
1. Lemieux 103 PTS
2. Gretzky 101 PTS
mid-February
1. Lemieux 121 PTS
2. Gretzky 110 PTS

Then, Lemieux went down to injury until the final game. You can see how Mario had a slower October, and then Wayne slumped (for really the first time since his rookie season) right after the All-Star game when his buddy, Nicholls, was traded, and Mario pulled well ahead. Still, Gretzky finished the season pretty strongly and it would have been a great scoring race if they'd both played all the games. (The next season, likewise, but Mario barely played.)

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Mario's back was never great, even beginning with his rookie season. I'm sure that being younger though, there were times when the pain was less or even non-existent.

My guess on the 1990 season, with respect to plus-minus, is that his back was hurting a lot even when he was playing. Going way back to Juniors, Mario is a guy that loved to score, and was even selfish about trying to break records (nothing really wrong with that in my opinion). Well, if your back hurts, and you love to score, guess which part of your game you are going to sacrifice when you're on the ice? If you're feeling good, like he probably was in 1989, then it's much easier to expend the effort in all facets of the game.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
It's definitely a very significant year for Lemieux. It's when the serious back problems began. I don't know exactly when it started but apparently the pain was quite severe for most or all of the '89-'90 season.

After the previous two seasons - 168 and 199 points - I think a lot of people expected that he would score over 200 points this season.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Mario's back was never great, even beginning with his rookie season. I'm sure that being younger though, there were times when the pain was less or even non-existent.

My guess on the 1990 season, with respect to plus-minus, is that his back was hurting a lot even when he was playing. Going way back to Juniors, Mario is a guy that loved to score, and was even selfish about trying to break records (nothing really wrong with that in my opinion). Well, if your back hurts, and you love to score, guess which part of your game you are going to sacrifice when you're on the ice? If you're feeling good, like he probably was in 1989, then it's much easier to expend the effort in all facets of the game.

Fair points, and yes it didn't hurt that the defense was weak after Coffey and the goaltending fell into a black hole that year. But I would suspect that since it was said there were times when Mario needed the trainer to tie his skates up because he couldn't bend over then that would probably be what hurt him defensively. No doubt Mario was so talented that even with a bad back he could score two points a game, which he did, but I can understand a situation where he is on an offensive rush, dishes the puck off and it gets turned over and all of the sudden that sharp pain in his back seems that much more unbearable that he has to back check.

Ironically, Mario was +8 in 1991 with 26 games, then +27 in 1992 and then a league best +55 in 1993. Better teams for sure of course, but I think it just goes to show you that 1990's plus minus was out of place.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
His back def affected his play that year. Still 164 points while you can’t tie your skates is still absurd. Would have swept the awards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad