Mario lemieux vs patrick kane. Better hands?

better hands

• mario

Votes: 178 71.5%
  • kane

Votes: 71 28.5%

• Total voters

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Exactly what I was thinking. People are truly hopeless sometimes

I vote Kane, I'm not sure that any player in NHL history has better hands
This is how I define "hands" in hockey.

The ability to carry the puck and beat a defender with deception (an innate total body ability) and manual dexterity (requires good hands), then beat a goalie either with a deke or a pin-point accurate shot (both require good hands). I take Lemieux in this case.

But if we take things like stick-handling drills, then someone like Kovalev might be the best.

I would definitely have Kovalev ahead.

This obviously proves nothing, I just like to watch it for the absurd backhands.

Shame this guy never consistently gave a shit.

Reactions: Thenameless

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Difference between a one-on-one scenario in a full game and a one-on-one game. Mario was the best one on one against someone trying to defend him. In an actual one on one game, the best skaters will always have a significant advantage.

Only problem with this is no one cares about a hypothetical one on one game on a rink in evaluating a player.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think big and small players are also stickhandling and deking to achieve slightly different objectives. A guy like Kane seems to touch the puck a lot to create a lot of visual noise and deception before making his big move which requires some edgework and change in direction and finding the open area. Whereas a guy like Lemieux has a lot more wingspan to work with, so he might just get you to bite on something while he can deftly shift momentum, and he reserves the option to go wide around you or just kind of through you.

Rick Nash is kind of an interesting halfway point between Lemieux and Kane (stylistically). He has the handles of a much smaller player but has the large swooping mechanics of a 6'3" plus player as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad