Marino vs. Bear

Marino vs. Bear

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Good poll. Both players are having a good rookie season. However, I will not vote since I'm not confident choosing between Bear or Marino moving forward until we get a bigger sample size.
This pretty much sums it up for me.

LSO i HVE SEEN BEAR PLAY IN CLOSE TO 10 GAMES THIS YEAR AND HE LOOKS LIKE THE TYPE OF GUY WHO WILL HAVE A SOLID DOUBLE DIGIT YEAR SIMPLE BUT EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE NHL CAREER.

shoot i hit the caps lock button by mistake but too lazy to change post.

Reactions: valet

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I haven't seen Bear but have seen every game Marino has played. He has arguably been the Penguins best, most consistent defenseman. His hockey sense is high which leads to great positioning and good offensive zone participation. Mistakes are rare. I've been thrilled with him so far.

Reactions: Pens and Flames

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like "no difference, they're basically the same player" should be an option here. Because there's no difference between the two and they're basically the same player.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
That's the danger of drafting American kids if you're Edmonton. Kids want to be closer to home I'd imagine.

I always wanted to see Marino at the very least play for the Oilers

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Marino has been a revelation. Biggest reason the pens have a respectable record despite the onslaught of injuries. Right handed Dumoulin with better skating and offensive instincts.

Reactions: Pens and Flames

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I think my fellow Penguins fans somewhat overrate Marino as they project what he will be with more experience onto what he is now. That said he has been impressive for a player in his first professional season. I haven't watched Bear nearly enough to vote in this poll though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think my fellow Penguins fans somewhat overrate Marino as they project what he will be with more experience onto what he is now. That said he has been impressive for a player in his first professional season. I haven't watched Bear nearly enough to vote in this poll though.

I don't think that's the case for the majority of Pens fans. Most see Marino as playing like a capable top four blueliner who shows more poise than you'd expect from a rookie. I don't think many are penciling him in as a Norris contender or a legitimate #1D at this point, however.

As for the poll, I'd probably lean toward Bear at the moment. I think both show surprising poise in the defensive end, but I think Bear's got a higher offensive upside.

Reactions: snipes

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
That's the danger of drafting American kids if you're Edmonton. Kids want to be closer to home I'd imagine.

I always wanted to see Marino at the very least play for the Oilers
Nope this is BS all the way . I know the kid personally and the Oilers showed him no love at all and traded him for beans . He had nothing against Edmonton they just did not value him .

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Nope this is BS all the way . I know the kid personally and the Oilers showed him no love at all and traded him for beans . He had nothing against Edmonton they just did not value him .
I doubt you know him personally.

He would have been a UFA this summer and he chose not to sign with the Oilers. Hard to say if the Oilers didn't show him love when he still has to finish college

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
One man breakout machine, Bear’s hockey IQ is outstanding. He’s so poised with the puck. I really wish he got PP1 time.

This sounds exactly like Marino :laugh:

I agree with what was said above about Bear's offensive upside, though. Marino's producing more, but I'm not sure I feel like he's a legit offensive threat. It's the difference between Schultz, who's an OFD and a mediocre puck mover, and Paul Martin, who was a good puck mover but mediocre OFD. Both produced around the same, but Schultz was better offensively.

Reactions: snipes

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I’d take Bear cause I think he has higher offensive upside.

Cant deny that both guys have been absolutely fantastic for their squads. Sucks that we couldn’t sign Marino and had to ship him out for next to nothing.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
Marino must have seen how loaded our defense prospects were. Smart move by him to move on. Wish we could have got more from him but that's really impossible at that time.
Marino has looked great in the games I've seen of the Pens.
Bear takes this for me right now with his breakout ability. As soon as he takes over the PP his numbers will really take off.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I’ve seen both play a ton and Marino is much better in his own end and has thrived with top pairing minutes the last few weeks.

Offensively, I don’t think either has separated himself from the other TBTH.

Both guys are a lot of fun to watch though.

I think it boils down to a case of each fan base should be really happy with their guy.

Reactions: Syrinx

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Marino has been so special it's stupid to think about when looking at his background.

BTW his value is exponentially higher than a 6th rounder currently.

I'm sure both fan bases are happy with their guy. Funny the Oilers were on the cusp of having both as rookies.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I doubt you know him personally.

He would have been a UFA this summer and he chose not to sign with the Oilers. Hard to say if the Oilers didn't show him love when he still has to finish college
I know him personally from his USHL days bud . I still talk with his dad Paul a couple times a year . The Oilers showed very little interest in him and never offered him a contract . The trade came with him knowing nothing and i also know Ethan from his summer hockey days as a youth for Team Pepsi . So doubt away all you want .

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Not sure. Marino has been better defensively though Bear probably offense + defense has been better so far this year. It's close and a game of preference. It'll be interesting to see their careers play out.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Really tough choice
2JxmG5w.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad