Marian Hossa

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
13 GP
1 goal + 3 assists and a -5

Its becoming sadly clear that decline is starting

Maybe he will snap out of this and prove me wrong but he doesn't appear to be same guy as past and given his age its not unreasonable to think he is on decline

1st line was already badly missing Saad ,, A struggling Hossa has rendered it almost nonexistent most nights

The play of #81 as well as struggles of 1st line are becoming more and more concerning

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
I haven't watched more than a handful of games this year due to working quite a few nights, but it may be time to change team dynamic a little. Move Hossa down to the 3rd line and make it a shut down line and start using lines 2 AND 1 as scoring lines. Give Toews someone who can score on both his wings. I know we don't have many top liners, but if the Toews line is allowed to start playing offense more than being used as shutdown, I'm sure the Kane line would love some help scoring.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I haven't watched more than a handful of games this year due to working quite a few nights, but it may be time to change team dynamic a little. Move Hossa down to the 3rd line and make it a shut down line and start using lines 2 AND 1 as scoring lines. Give Toews someone who can score on both his wings. I know we don't have many top liners, but if the Toews line is allowed to start playing offense more than being used as shutdown, I'm sure the Kane line would love some help scoring.

Outside of Teravainen who has at times struggled this year the Hawks don't exactly have anyone to put with him that would fit this need

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
If you give him Teuvo and Dano and then start playing him against weaker competition and not use him as a shutdown line, how do you think they'd produce then? It could be a line for a long time in the future if they can learn to play together.

Then use the 3rd and 4th lines in the traditional way as shutdown lines with Hossa down to help.

Just a thought, doubt it ever happens with Q as coach, and not sure if it would work anyways.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If you give him Teuvo and Dano and then start playing him against weaker competition and not use him as a shutdown line, how do you think they'd produce then? It could be a line for a long time in the future if they can learn to play together.

Then use the 3rd and 4th lines in the traditional way as shutdown lines with Hossa down to help.

Just a thought, doubt it ever happens with Q as coach, and not sure if it would work anyways.

Not sure how throwing 2 kids with Toews will help situation now

It just means Dano/TT will see tougher matchup/competition then they currently do

Also Dano has showed flashes but has hardly been great so not sure how throwing him with Toews is supposed to change things

Hawks still have major questions thru lineup outside of #2 line if you make moves you want

B4rre

Jan 17, 2014
Not sure how throwing 2 kids with Toews will help situation now

It just means Dano/TT will see tougher matchup/competition then they currently do

Also Dano has showed flashes but has hardly been great so not sure how throwing him with Toews is supposed to change things

Hawks still have major questions thru lineup outside of #2 line if you make moves you want

If they would get an easier matchup it wouldn't be that big of a problem. I'm sure by putting for example Panarin and TT to the 1st line and giving them easier matchups would help tremendously on this 1st line scoring drought.

You think putting Dano with better players (AA+88 or Toews+TT vrs Kero+TT / Kero+Hartman / Kero + Tikhonov) wouldn't help at all? I think it's obvious it would.

We'd be just fine with Garbutt, Tikhonov, Kero, Hossa, Shaw, Kruger, Desjardins etc on bottom 6.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hossa still looks like he is skating pretty well, defending fairly well, he just can't do much offensively. I think he is thinking about it too much. If by 50 games in he still hasn't found his scoring touch, I will be worried.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
He looked like he lost his shot last year, and then halfway through the year his release came back like it was magic. I have no idea what to make of Hossa.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

hossa to the 3rd line needs to happen....he can be the glue that holds together a decent 3rd line...

why? cause he is not the player he used to be, JT can carry a line TT needs to be in the top 6 to be effective IMO and the NHL has gone to having effective top 9s from top 6's...and the kids TT and Dano NEED to take on a bigger role offensively...

dano-JT-TT
P-Arty line
shaw/garbutt-kero-hossa
desi-kruger-tik/shaw

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'm hoping some of the slump is in Hoss' mind (over it all being physical).

Maybe having Dano (a kid he's known for years) play with him will give him some good vibes to feed off of and get him excited again.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Hoss looked fine last night.

Honestly I'm more worried about Toews, but no matter how you slice it Dano appears to be the sparkplug the 1st line needed (too bad it took Q that long futz around for no good reason instead of plugging him in there).

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hossa still looks like he is skating pretty well, defending fairly well, he just can't do much offensively. I think he is thinking about it too much. If by 50 games in he still hasn't found his scoring touch, I will be worried.

I believe it was last February when Hossa went on a tear and was lighting it up on a regular basis. I'd like to see a replay this season.

I think describing Hossa's skating as "pretty well" and defending "fairly well" are definitely understating Hossa's game. He may not be scoring like he once did, but the rest of his game is fantastic and hasn't changed at all. In fact defensively, he may be better than ever. He can hound an ops player with the puck as well as anyone in the league.... and did anyone see him take off and get in the clear when he had a partial breakaway the other night. The afterburners are still there.

abt424

Apr 4, 2012
Austin
I believe it was last February when Hossa went on a tear and was lighting it up on a regular basis. I'd like to see a replay this season.

I think describing Hossa's skating as "pretty well" and defending "fairly well" are definitely understating Hossa's game. He may not be scoring like he once did, but the rest of his game is fantastic and hasn't changed at all. In fact defensively, he may be better than ever. He can hound an ops player with the puck as well as anyone in the league.... and did anyone see him take off and get in the clear when he had a partial breakaway the other night. The afterburners are still there.

Yeah, definitely. Last night he lost the puck and was behind a Flames player heading the other way. Hossa kicked it into high gear and caught him. Can't remember what period it was, but I remember thinking "Hossa just made a Hossa play. he's not done, yet."

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

I think describing Hossa's skating as "pretty well" and defending "fairly well" are definitely understating Hossa's game.

Yeah, didn't really mean it to understate his game. Just saying he looks like the same Hossa, outside of the puck not going in.

marco1475

Mar 17, 2015
It's still TBD whether or not his shot left him (arguments for: his current shooting percentage of 4.4% as well as last season's 8.9%, arguments against: the lower team shooting percentage overall), but I think what suffers most is consistency.

I think he is trying (as evidenced by the amount of shot attempts), but his offense is no longer as consistent as it used to be. His defensive game and movement are as good as they've always been, but his offensive output has become streaky.

So it's possible that he'll get hot for a few games the way he did last season, but even then he cooled off and returned to a very low shooting percentage and the lowest goals scored total of his NHL career baring his first full year with the Senators. He still had arguably his most successful playoffs last season (at least point-wise, with 4 goals and 13 assists), but I'm worried that the offensive consistency is gone.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
He physically looks fine. He is skating fast, hard, back checking well. The other night on that breakaway he outskated pursuers no problem. Don't know what has happened to his offensive production, hopefully its just a slump. Would be worried if he physically looked like he was breaking down (like Peyton Manning) but he looks fine. Hopefully he finds the scoring touch, maybe this last game will get him going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad