Confirmed with Link: Marian Hossa to sign one day contract to retire as a Blackhawk

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Most impactful FA signings IMO for Chicago teams from top of my head

Hossa to Blackhawks
Jermaine Dye to White Sox
Jon Lester to Cubs
Julius Peppers to Bears
Ron Harper or John Paxson to Bulls

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Hossa may have been the best player on this roster. He did it all and was robbed of 1-2 Selkes during his time.

Miss him, one of my all time favorites. Glad to see him retire with Chicago. Truly a Hawks (and Yotes) legend.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've come to believe he was the single most important forward on this team during the dynasty. He set the bar for everyone, and sacrificed personal production for team success, and winning. And every guy on the team knew it. He raised the bar and pushed every player to be better.

Hossa is truly a GOAT.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Most impactful FA signings IMO for Chicago teams from top of my head

Hossa to Blackhawks
Jermaine Dye to White Sox
Jon Lester to Cubs
Julius Peppers to Bears
Ron Harper or John Paxson to Bulls

Yea Dye was very key in that 2005 World Series. In fact he won the World Series MVP. Hossa stands alone, but a couple of those guys can fight for #2.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Jon Lester
Yep. To me Jon Lester #1. He helped end the most famous drought in sports. Most people, casual or not, knew of the Cubs drought, but outside of hardcore Hawks fans/nhl fans, how many people knew of the Hawks drought?

To me: Jon Lester 1 and Hossa is 2 in signifcant Chicago sports signings.

Now don't get me wrong, Hossa was a longer impact but Lester was more significant, as least to me.

---------------

Dennis Rodman was a not a signing. He was acquired by the Bulls for Will Perdue. Now Steve Kerr might be one of the more underrated significant signings.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I know Campbell was helpful on the ice, but when it's about the signal he was very much the same as Huet. Both the same summer with huge contracts.
Not quite, Campbell at the time of his signing had 3 years running where he was 5th in Norris voting. Top 5 in the league, remember this is before Keith became Keith.

It was signing a PMD who I think was the biggest free agent prize of that summer. (could be wrong on that but I felt it was HUGE when it happened)

Helped on the ice? 2010 playoffs he was +11, best in the NHL.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Not quite, Campbell at the time of his signing had 3 years running where he was 5th in Norris voting. Top 5 in the league, remember this is before Keith became Keith.

It was signing a PMD who I think was the biggest free agent prize of that summer. (could be wrong on that but I felt it was HUGE when it happened)

Campbell was the marquee UFA dman of that summer. Hossa was the marquee UFA in general. Campbell only had 2 years running of finishing 5th in Norris voting though. Hockey-Reference seems to show three but it's because the awards link on the far right displays for both his time in Buffalo and San Jose during the same season.

I think more than anything, Campbell's signing (and Huet's as well), showed that CHI wasn't going to be shy about spending money. That under Rocky they had the green light to spend money. Of course, that was to their own detriment that summer as they overpaid for both players but I suppose it could be argued it was a necessity in regaining relevance.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

It was 2 years of that level for Campbell and Huet was coming of 2 good years with the Habs ending in a TDL deal to the Caps where he started in the POs. Huet was a big signing that offseason - league wide.
As signal, those two were a big package to a young team with a healthy Havlat.

That season, Keith scored 12 goals and lead the Hawks with a +30. Next was Sharp with +23 and Seabs with +13.
The writing with Keith as top pairing D was on the wall. Seabs was seen as possible top pair and Wisniewski was upcoming. There even was some hope for Barker.
Going out and adding Campbell was huge as was signing your future #1 Goalie - didn't work.

Biggest price was Hossa that year.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yep. To me Jon Lester #1. He helped end the most famous drought in sports. Most people, casual or not, knew of the Cubs drought, but outside of hardcore Hawks fans/nhl fans, how many people knew of the Hawks drought?

To me: Jon Lester 1 and Hossa is 2 in signifcant Chicago sports signings.

Now don't get me wrong, Hossa was a longer impact but Lester was more significant, as least to me.

---------------

Dennis Rodman was a not a signing. He was acquired by the Bulls for Will Perdue. Now Steve Kerr might be one of the more underrated significant signings.

Hossa 1 and Lester 2 to me.

3 would be Brian Campbell.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
When Hossa and Hammer left, the team tanked.....their contributions may not have been prodigious in the box score, but they were elite 2 way players.....Hoss was a machine.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
In terms of impact, I'd go with 3 titles over one.
But in this country baseball trumps hockey by like a lot. Hossa had the longer impact but come on ending sports most famous drought imo trumps three titles. With that said there as no wrong answer, just preference.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
But in this country baseball trumps hockey by like a lot. Hossa had the longer impact but come on ending sports most famous drought imo trumps three titles. With that said there as no wrong answer, just preference.
Having Arrieta and Hendricks with signing Zobrist was helping with that drought. That's why I'd go with 3 titles and don't care about sports preference. In this case you could make a case for signing Peppers, even without a title.

Apr 15, 2022
FLORIDA
I thought he was going to play one last game with the Chicago Blackhawks. I guess that's not what it means when you sign a one-day contract. So he's not playing one more game, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: