Marian Hossa appreciation thread

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I’ll never forget that shootout goal he had against the Hawks in 08-09. Couple guys went before him, dangling around. Hossa just comes in with a clapper and buried it top cheddar.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Best free agent signing in Chicago sports history. I too think history will remember him as a Blackhawk. A pro's pro, by all accounts a great human being, and a future Hall of Famer.

I remember seeing quotes and hearing through the grapevine the amazement Hawk players had of Hossa when he first arrived and they all first started skating together at the beginning of his first season. Players were in awe of him and what he was able to do out there. He will be greatly missed and I look forward to his 81 hanging down in the future.

Absolutely will be remembered as a Hawk

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
A legend on and off the ice. First class player, first class person. 81 forever, raise it to the roof.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
My favorite Hossa Signature Move may still be the top-shelf slapper from the hash-marks.
My god yes. I know he would occasionally do that in the shootout too which was awesome. I really can’t recall anyone else taking a slap shot in the shootout besides Hossa.

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
Literally got goosebumps watching that clip in the OP. Don't think I will never not get goosebumps watching it.

Totally. I'll always remember where I watched that game and those emotions. As stressful as Cup runs are, they are great memories when you get one, or 3.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
He gave me his stick at a Penguins game in Pittsburgh. It’s safe to say it will be on my wall until the day I die.

Reactions: HLLYWD99

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
He and datsyuk were the best two all around offensive and defensive forwards of the era bar none, nobody else was close. When I read the hawks had Hossa I knew that he was the piece that the hawks needed to get over the edge.

I have been around long enough to have watched decades of hawks but Hossa may very well be my all time favourite hawk.

The hawks missed this guy more than anyone could have imagined.

First ballot Hall of Famer IMO and criminal that he never won a Selke

Last edited:
Reactions: LordKOTL and Pez68

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
It might have been game 4 of the 2015 cup final and hoss stole the puck in the neutral zone then dangled past a forward and hedman for a good scoring chance like it was nothing at like 36 years old haha. Will never forget about him. Not a chance

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Hossa was indeed a vital part of the Hawk 's core winning those 3 cups. It could be argued that without Hossa, Kane, Keith, Toews, Seabrook, and to a lesser extent Hammer and Crow those cups would not have been won.
He is and was a quiet leader and exceptional human being ( at least from my vantage point! ). Not to mention a superlative hockey player.
And yeah ... to all those uniformed, jealous fans of other teams who claim fraud I will take the higher road and wish them a speedy recovery!

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Elite player.

Maybe the best all-around winger I've ever seen play the game.
He did everything.

My favorite memory was of course Game 5 against NSH but the most impressive was a 5-on-3 PK shift he had against Vancouver back around 2011 or 2012.
Hossa practically single-handedly killed off half the entire 5-on-3 by himself. It was ridiculous. I wish I could find a clip.

A travesty he was never awarded the Selke.

Last edited:

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018

That ending makes it seem like he already knows it’s in the cards to return to the Hawks in some capacity. Or maybe I’m just trying to connect dots that aren’t there because I miss him, lol.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

That ending makes it seem like he already knows it’s in the cards to return to the Hawks in some capacity. Or maybe I’m just trying to connect dots that aren’t there because I miss him, lol.

He said once his contracts up he would love to return in some capacity. I think his "retirement" announcement earlier this year said that

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL

You see videos like this every year, in every sport. The thing that will always separate Hossa from the rest of professional athletes is his genuineness.

He isn't going out of his way to put on an image by wearing a Hawks hat in the video. No, the guy is sporting a Cubs hat. He'll be back in Chicago, even if he has to back-check the entire way.

Reactions: migi and Blue Liner

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
The epitome of a 2 way player. An utter travesty that he never won the D player of the year award (for forwards). Gave his all, all the time. Total boss. Was instrumental to the Hawks resurgence and 3 Cups. First ballot HoFer, if there's any justice.

Reactions: LordKOTL

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Marian Hossa was a special player.

He clearly loved hockey. So much so, that he made a point to work on, and excel in, every facet of the game.

There wasn't a single thing wrong in his play, and he truly was the missing piece to set this team onto greatness.

Seeing Toews hand the cup to him next after the '10 win made me tear up. Nobody in hockey at the time deserved it more than him. That will always be my favorite Marian Hossa memory.

Reactions: LordKOTL

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Marian Hossa was a special player.

He clearly loved hockey. So much so, that he made a point to work on, and excel in, every facet of the game.

There wasn't a single thing wrong in his play, and he truly was the missing piece to set this team onto greatness.

Seeing Toews hand the cup to him next after the '10 win made me tear up. Nobody in hockey at the time deserved it more than him. That will always be my favorite Marian Hossa memory.

I still have that recorded and you can clearly hear Tazer saying, "Where's Hossa?" Class act by the captain.

massey1984

Some Guy from the Chicago suburbs
Jun 2, 2009
McHenry County
Great player that was the true leader in the locker room. He's presence is and will be missed until they find a replacement.

HamburgerSK

Jan 18, 2022
In less than 30 minutes, at 18:18 CET, starts in Trenčín, Slovakia the Goodbye Game #81, the farewell game of Marian Hossa. There are some well known names that accepted his invitation: Nicklas Lidstrom, Zdeno Chara, Dustin Byfuglien, Nicklas Hjalmarsson, Martin Havlat, Patrick Sharp, Marian Gaborik, Tomas Kopecky, Daniel Alfredsson, Michal Handzus, Miroslav Satan, Michal Rozsival, Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith, Henrik Zetterberg, as well as Jaro Halak, Tomas Tatar, Lubomir Visnovsky, Richard Lintner, Andrej Sekera, Ziggy Palffy, Rastislav Pavlikovsky, his brother Marcel Hossa, Scott Darling, Petr Mrazek, Tomas Holmström, Teuvo Teräväinen, Andreas Lilja, Marcus Krüger, Michal Kempny, Jiri Hudler, Johny Oduya, Viktor Stalberg, hope not to forget anyone.
Should be a lot of fun to watch.
Thank you, Marian Hossa.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad