Confirmed with Link: Marian Gaborik to Columbus for Brassard, J. Moore and Dorsett

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Torts to Sather, after the deal:

"That's not what I meant when you came to me with Brassard for Gaborik and I told you I wanted more..."

Edit: But seriously, I like the deal. It's not great; it's got potential to help though. Maybe I shouldn't say I "like" it. I certainly don't love it. But I'm not upset about it either. It could end up paying better dividends than we know. Moore could be really good for us and certainly helps our D by pushing Gilroy/Hamrlik/Eminger out. He's easily better than all of them, and still improving. Brassard. If he does exactly what he did in Columbus he'll be alright but nothing worth getting excited about. Dorsett brings something we really needed to get back. Clowe, if he can rebound will be good. If not, he'll be a glorified Rupp.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
Plagiarizing myself from the last thread.

So in conclusion,

We got a 3rd line center, who's skills don't translate to centering a 3rd line.

We got yet another solid left handed defenseman who doesn't create offense.

And we finally got Brandon Prust's replacement, but he can't play until the playoffs. The playoffs that we probably won't make.

For Marian Gaborik.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Torts: On if he believes the Rangers are a better team after the trade deadline: “I have no idea.”

tjs252

Feb 10, 2007
The worst thing you can say for a trade is that the offer you ended up taking would have been on the table in the foreseeable future, you lost.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

So in conclusion,

And we finally got Brandon Prust's replacement, but he can't play until the playoffs. The playoffs that we probably won't make.

For Marian Gaborik.

Or..

We got a 3rd line center whose skills translate exactly to the kind of 3rd line a team like ours should have.

We got a right D with great upside.

We got a very good bottom 6 grit guy who will undoubtedly help us in the first round of the playoffs when we get there.

For

A scorer who has scored in only 6 games this season.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Or..

We got a 3rd line center whose skills translate exactly to the kind of 3rd line a team like ours should have.

We got a very good bottom 6 grit guy who will undoubtedly help us in the first round of the playoffs when we get there.

For

Don't try to reason. Optimism about the trade is not allowed.

But really, you're right. We also got cap flexible and shookup a team that needed a shaking. I know Moore can and will PLAY the right sided, but I really wish he was right handed. That would have been real nice.

Mr Atoz*

This is why this team can never win. Trade the future for the past, and when it doesn't work, trade the past for the future. And so on and so on.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Or..

For

Moore is a LD.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Brassards aren't conducive to championship rosters. Inconsistent, paid their market value, and little in the way of leadership. He has physical talent but it never clicked. What you're left with is a guy being paid like a 2/3 C without the skillset to play in the top 6. So he plays grinder lines without grinder attributes.

Callafan24

Sep 22, 2010
New York City
Equally compelling perspectives. Might have been able to get more at the draft, but I don't yet feel fleeced by the deal. Time will tell.:)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Don't try to reason. Optimism about the trade is not allowed.

But really, you're right. We also got cap flexible and shookup a team that needed a shaking. I know Moore can and will PLAY the right sided, but I really wish he was right handed. That would have been real nice.

I'm being driven into optimism by some of the pessimism. In reality, I'm somewhere in between. The only thing that matters to me is wins. Gaborik could score 10 goals over the rest of the year. If we can win consistently again, I don't care.

Punxrocknyc19*

Torts: On if he believes the Rangers are a better team after the trade deadline: “I have no idea.â€

did he really just say that?? he couldnt be positive :help: no wonder why this team showed no emotion

MessierIsGod

Oct 2, 2010

So in conclusion,

For Marian Gaborik.

Agreed..gabby has a better chance of turning around to be the "old" gabby than clowe turning around.

We won't make the playoffs.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
To BroadwayBlue, Either trade him at the draft or by the deadline next year which he would have rebounded. I would have been more satisfied if they traded him straight up for a 1st rouner. I just don't know what to make of this team after this trade. Now we are going to be in the hunt for another goal scorer in the offseason and beyond. If Brassard turns into Kyle Turris 2.0, I'll be satisfied. I wasn't expecting like 2 1sts or anything but probably should have held onto him to at least the draft.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Brassards aren't conducive to championship rosters. Inconsistent, paid their market value, and little in the way of leadership. He has physical talent but it never clicked. What you're left with is a guy being paid like a 2/3 C without the skillset to play in the top 6. So he plays grinder lines without grinder attributes.

Brassard, guaranteed gets some minutes with top six linemates as well and sees some PP time. He has the tools to play in the top six; he's just been inconsistent. 40+ points isn't awful and at 25, having only ever played for a CBJ team that's been terrible most years, it's not as if a change of scenery couldn't help him put it together a little bit better. He's a 40+ point guy right now. If he can be a 50+ point guy, how bad is that? Not terrible.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
Even if Moore does end up playing the right side well -- We're the 5th best team in GAA. A bottom paired defenseman shouldn't be the highlight of a package for Marian Gaborik. I don't care how bad his numbers are this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad