Confirmed with Link: Marian Gaborik and Nick Shore to OTT for Dion Phaneuf (25% retained) and Nate Thompson

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think it mostly doesn't matter to us at this point...trade value wise, none of the assets had much value. Nobody else would take Phaneuf.

While I think Phaneuf is a great person and surely great in the locker room, I don't think he should be a part of anyone's top 4 if you want to seriously contend...and his contract necessitates that.

The Kings have the luxury of deploying him properly which is probably why he's been so effective. He's usually on the 3rd pairing with Martinez and gets a lot of PP time so his ES time is limited. The rest of the defense are great on the PK, so there's no need for Dion to be out there short handed. It's a perfect situation for him to play to his strengths.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Hilarious. Dion and Nate are contributing and the Kings are winning.

Gaborik is pointless in his last 5 games, a minus 4 and playing less than 15 minutes.

Shore is a healthy scratch in Calgary and I bet he is in the minors before the end of the season.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
People thought we'd have to give up a 1st round pick to get rid of Gaborik's contract.

Instead, Blake gets rid of Gaborik's contract without giving up any picks/prospects while simultaneously improving the current roster.

But they lost Nick Shore. That’s a significant loss of a good bench door opener.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Injured or healthy scratch?

Senators' Marian Gaborik: Dealing with undisclosed injury

"Gaborik won't be available for Friday's matchup with Vegas due to an undisclosed injury, Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reports.

Gaborik scored a goal and added an assist in his Senators debut Feb. 15 against the Sabres, but he's gone scoreless in six games since then, and has only averaged 14:08 of ice time per contest over that span. The specific nature of the veteran winger's malady has yet to be reported, but he won't have to wait long for his next opportunity to return to game action, as Ottawa will be right back at it Saturday against Arizona."

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
People thought we'd have to give up a 1st round pick to get rid of Gaborik's contract.

Instead, Blake gets rid of Gaborik's contract without giving up any picks/prospects while simultaneously improving the current roster.

I'll admit it. I was one of those that thought it would take our 1st and a mid level prospect at the very least to get rid of that contract.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Even those giving Blake an 'incomplete' so far have to admit that this one is a total coup at this point.

Still totally TBD depending on how Dion holds up but even if he were a bottom pairing d-man at least we're paying someone to play.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I’m wondering if Gaborik retires after this season. If so, It’s a big win for Ottawa.

Dion has been a good fit but he is slow. Even at his discounted 5m, he has what two-three more years. Hoping he can stay relevant while in LA.

Always thought it would be a good swap. Glad Dion is doing well.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I’m wondering if Gaborik retires after this season. If so, It’s a big win for Ottawa.

Dion has been a good fit but he is slow. Even at his discounted 5m, he has what two-three more years. Hoping he can stay relevant while in LA.

??? Why would Gabby leave $10.5m on the table?

He could, but he's still a professional hockey player in his mid-to-late 30's. He works 8 months a year - what's not to like?

Even if he does retire after this year or next year, Blake did a GREAT job of getting him traded! I (and many HFers) thought there was zero chance of that ever happening.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Nick Shore was John Stevens' Dwight King. Ridiculous amount of ice time handed to a a guy because "he wins faceoffs in the defensive zone". As soon as he's shipped out he's on the 4th line in Ottowa, scratched in Calgary and will be out of the NHL next season.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Excellent move on Blake's part. If it becomes necessary I could see him moving Phaneuf in the future since Ottawa retained some of his cap hit.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Perhaps I am missing something but Nic Shore played last night.

He did.

Shore was literally the center for Calgary's best 5-man defensive unit, scoring a 66.67% CF% (9.33% rel!) and no goals against despite the worst zone starts on the team in a loss. He was being played 11 minutes on Calgary's 3rd line.

It's just blind, ignorance-is-bliss hatred at this point, mostly touted by folks who couldn't understand why Shore would get more minutes than Kempe some nights.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
He did.

Shore was literally the center for Calgary's best 5-man defensive unit, scoring a 66.67% CF% (9.33% rel!) and no goals against despite the worst zone starts on the team in a loss. He was being played 11 minutes on Calgary's 3rd line.

It's just blind, ignorance-is-bliss hatred at this point, mostly touted by folks who couldn't understand why Shore would get more minutes than Kempe some nights.

You left out he generated one shot on goal.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009

He will not retire, he knows that Ottawa will probably buy him out. And for Sens not a big deal since they will never spend near the cap anyway

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00