Marek Tvrdon

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I haven't heard anything since around Christmas. He seemed to be recovering well, but there wasn't much else in terms of info.

Assuming he's healthy, I'd imagine he goes to Red Wings camp in September and from there either to Grand Rapids or back to Vancouver. Given how the Red Wings like to take their time with prospects, I wouldn't be surprised if they sent back to the Giants in order to make up for the missed season.

Then again, he was looking good enough to be in the AHL next year, so if he's good enough in camp, going back to junior would be pointless.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I haven't heard anything since around Christmas. He seemed to be recovering well, but there wasn't much else in terms of info.

Assuming he's healthy, I'd imagine he goes to Red Wings camp in September and from there either to Grand Rapids or back to Vancouver. Given how the Red Wings like to take their time with prospects, I wouldn't be surprised if they sent back to the Giants in order to make up for the missed season.

Then again, he was looking good enough to be in the AHL next year, so if he's good enough in camp, going back to junior would be pointless.

Agree here, his game is probably beyond the WHL, what he really needs it increase his quickness and foot speed, that's what is really holding him back from an NHL career IMO.

The Giants could really use him next year as they have some really good solid young players but don't ahve an offensive focal point and need one really badly IMO.

Personally I would package the 1st pick this year for Barzal to Seattle if they can't get him to play there.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
For what it's worth, here's what Giants beat writer Steve Ewen had to say when I asked him if he'll be back with the Giants or Grand Rapids:

Steve Ewen @SteveEwen
@Downtown55Brown @WHLGiants The Red Wings are the one team that make me wonder in that sitaution. Anybody else, slam dunk in AHL.

I think it's safe to say we won't find out until September.

Hordichuk_24

It's really a 50/50 chance he's back with Vancouver. Detroit doesn't rush their prospects so logic would tend to make you think he will return. That said if he continues to get healthy and has a good camp he is certainly good enough to play in the AHL. Due to how much development time he's missed over his junior career I tend to think he returns to Vancouver. But nothing is set in stone.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
There's quite a logjam in Griffins too.

Frk
Pulkkinen
Järnkrok
Jurco
Sheahan
Ferraro
Quine

All would need top6 ice time and pp time imo.

So back to Giants is possible. Tvrdon also missed most of his draft year so he's basically missed 2 years.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
There's quite a logjam in Griffins too.

Frk
Pulkkinen
Järnkrok
Jurco
Sheahan
Ferraro
Quine

All would need top6 ice time and pp time imo.

So back to Giants is possible. Tvrdon also missed most of his draft year so he's basically missed 2 years.

He would be a great addition to the giants as they don't really have an offensive catalyst and I really don't see one emerging from the present group of players.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
He would be a great addition to the giants as they don't really have an offensive catalyst and I really don't see one emerging from the present group of players.

It will definitely be a scoring-by-committe type of team. A line of Tvrdon/Franson/Houck would likely produce. Hopefully the import draft selection will have an immediate impact.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Some updates on Tvrdon.

The Detroit Red Wings have reassigned left wing Marek Tvrdon (MAIR-ehk T’VEHR-duhn) to the Grand Rapids Griffins from the WHL’s Vancouver Giants.

Undrafted free agent Jared Coreau (shoulder) and 2011 fourth-round draft pick Marek Tvrdon (blood clot) are in Detroit this week meeting with team officials and coaches. Both are expected to attend the team’s Traverse City training camp in September with hopes of making the franchise’s American Hockey League club in Grand Rapids.

Tvrdon had more of a scare when his left arm swelled to twice its size before a junior game in Vancouver last November. Doctors located an isolated blood clot in a single vein that required the removal of a rib.

“Pretty scary,” the 20-year-old Slovakian said. “I was on the ice one day and my left arm was all swollen. I called my doctor in Vancouver and the next week I had surgery.”

Probably some hit,” he said, “because they took out my first rib where the blood clot was.”

Trvdon, who produced 45 goals and 62 assists in 90 career WHL games, hasn’t skated since the surgery, but hopes to this weekend in Grand Rapids under the watchful eye of Jiri Fischer, the Red Wings’ director of player development.

“I’m feeling so much better, but I haven’t been back on the ice,” Tvrdon said. “Pretty excited. My junior career is over, I think, so I’m pretty excited to turn pro.”

http://www.griffinshockey.com/news/releases/?article_id=2496&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=667665

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad