Marcus Kruger - Chicago Blackhawks

Mr Lahey*

What's everyones read on Marcus?

I have a hard time projecting what kind of player Chicago has. He had a strong first full season last year and will have plenty of opportunity to stick in Chi's top 6. But does he have the potential to develop into a good 2nd line W? Can he stick at C long term?

For those who see him regularly, what can you tell me about him?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Hawks fans are pretty harsh on him but that's unfair cos he is a rookie, 1st full season in NA and he was playing in a role over his head for much of the time (2nd line C, no shielded minutes).

Atm, he'd be best served with some AHL conditioning or getting 10 mins+ on the 3rd/4th line if they roll with 4.

He does have a 2-way game but the problem is that he's weak, needs to bulk up and improve his balance/strength.

The raw tools are there though, he can be a decent playmaking centre and he is one of the more underrated young centres. Don't expect him to develop into a 70 pt scorer though, not any time soon at least.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Give him time and he'll round out his game just fine. Will he be a quality offensive option in a top 6? Maybe not, I see him more as a 2-3 line tweener.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Marcus Kruger

Good hockey sense, strong defensive awareness, decent skater, will crash the net, more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. Not as acidic as Bolland, but plays a similar type game. As others have touched upon, he needs to bulk up and continue to improves his play set up at the NHL level. I think there's a lot more assists in his future.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I think Marcus Kruger has the potential to be a solid top-6 centre, but is probably better suited as a third line centre on a strong team.

He improved throughout the season and I'd expect another solid jump in his developement next year.

He can play wing, but he's probably better suited to centre.. he just has to continue to improve his faceoff ability.

MagicSlap*

He showed in the NHL this year that he's basically not really ready for the NHL.

2C- Not good enough offensively. His assists are kind of a mirage, he didn't really do anything to create the eventual goals. His own goals were all scored around the net. He's an average skater, has a very bad shot and hasn't shown much playmaking ability. I didn't watch him in Sweden so I can't say if he was more of a playmaker over there but he certainly didn't wow me on NA ice.

3C/4C- He has above average defensive positioning and awareness and certainly works hard (he'll go to the dirty areas and give it his best) but the problem is that he is just nowhere near physically ready for the NHL. When he goes to the boards he gets knocked down all the time. Also, he's not good on faceoffs. A small guy who doesn't hit, win faceoffs or board battles is not exactly a great fit as a bottom line center.

So his first season in NA makes me wonder where his future is, if the Hawks had any real center depth Kruger wouldn't have been in the lineup last year or this coming year. Ultimately I don't think he'll be a center in the NHL, I see him more as a 3rd line winger. He needs to get bigger though otherwise he'll have a very short career (both in regards to his game and his health, he already has had a concussion that kept him out). He could have an outside shot a being a 3rd line center but he'll have to work hard to improve not just his strength but actually get bigger too so he can handle the toughness of the NHL.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He showed in the NHL this year that he's basically not really ready for the NHL.

2C- Not good enough offensively. His assists are kind of a mirage, he didn't really do anything to create the eventual goals. His own goals were all scored around the net. He's an average skater, has a very bad shot and hasn't shown much playmaking ability. I didn't watch him in Sweden so I can't say if he was more of a playmaker over there but he certainly didn't wow me on NA ice.

3C/4C- He has above average defensive positioning and awareness and certainly works hard (he'll go to the dirty areas and give it his best) but the problem is that he is just nowhere near physically ready for the NHL. When he goes to the boards he gets knocked down all the time. Also, he's not good on faceoffs. A small guy who doesn't hit, win faceoffs or board battles is not exactly a great fit as a bottom line center.

So his first season in NA makes me wonder where his future is, if the Hawks had any real center depth Kruger wouldn't have been in the lineup last year or this coming year. Ultimately I don't think he'll be a center in the NHL, I see him more as a 3rd line winger. He needs to get bigger though otherwise he'll have a very short career (both in regards to his game and his health, he already has had a concussion that kept him out). He could have an outside shot a being a 3rd line center but he'll have to work hard to improve not just his strength but actually get bigger too so he can handle the toughness of the NHL.

This entire post is simply wrong.. especially the bolded.

MagicSlap*

If you're looking for a consensus opinion, 95% of the Hawks board (I can only think of three people who disagreed) were very underwhelmed with him this year and would like to see him either in Rockford or as a 4th liner.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
He is not a horrible player - but he was put in a position this year that he wasn't ready for and it showed (a little like what happened with Leddy).

He is not ready to play 2c and I don't know if he'll ever be...but who knows. No one know what's going to happen w/ him next yr b/c our coach and our manager appear to be on different pages - Bowman seems to think Kane is good at 2c, while Q thinks it's Kruger.

Kruger might be able to handle our 3rd line wing position on our team (because Bolland is our 3c). Depending on the team, he might be able to do 3c elsewhere.

It will be unfortunate if he's stuck on our 4th line b/c he won't get a lot of playing time and I think he's got enough skill he could probably do better than that.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
If you're looking for a consensus opinion, 95% of the Hawks board (I can only think of three people who disagreed) were very underwhelmed with him this year and would like to see him either in Rockford or as a 4th liner.

And 95% of the Hawks board would have laughed in your face if you said Stalberg would scored 20+ goals and 40+ points without any PP time last year. 95% of the Hawks board would have laughed in your face if you said Keith would win the Norris after his rookie season, or anything close to that level of success.

The Hawks board knows next to nothing.. especially when it comes to prospects who aren't high picks. If Kruger was a 1st round pick, no one would be as harsh on him as they are on the Hawks board. Simple.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Kruger should've spent last year in Rockford...He needs about 20 lbs, as he's easily knocked around....He seems to be fairly well-rounded, just physically unable to compete..He doesn't have a #2C game...

Martini*

Good hockey sense, strong defensive awareness, decent skater, will crash the net, more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. Not as acidic as Bolland, but plays a similar type game. As others have touched upon, he needs to bulk up and continue to improves his play set up at the NHL level. I think there's a lot more assists in his future.

Are you talking about Bolland, because that sure isnt Kruger.

Judrix

Teuvo is Kane's son
Feb 24, 2010
Chicago
Are you talking about Bolland, because that sure isnt Kruger.

which of those qualities does Kruger not have?

This has grown beyond ridiculous on the Hawks board; the hate for Marcus Kruger.

The kid was 21 in his first season on this ice and in the NHL. He held his own while being thrown into the fire. Put up 26 points and was a solid +11. He is small and gets pushed around, we get it...that is something that can easily be fixed is often a problem for rookies. Don't be mad at Kruger for Q and Bowman's decision that he is ready for the 2C position.

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
I like Kruger. Solid defense and obviously sees the ice well. He's a good passer, but has a weak shot and is not strong on his skates. Definitely didn't deserve the #2 center spot last year. I think we'll see a strong improvement from him this year offensively. He's not going to score 20 goals. Still a 15g 35a season wouldn't be out of the question in the next few years.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Hawks board knows next to nothing.. especially when it comes to prospects who aren't high picks. If Kruger was a 1st round pick, no one would be as harsh on him as they are on the Hawks board. Simple.

The Hawks board does seem to be routinely harsh on their players.

I remember when I was looking for information on how Duncan Keith was progressing in the AHL many years ago and remember seeing many comments on how terrible he was and how he wouldn't make much of an impact in the NHL... And then (as you mentioned) he won a Norris Trophy. So, yeah...

(not that I have much of an opinion on Kruger either way)

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
I'm a big fan of Krugers actually as a hawks fan that is a little rare. We were spoiled with the quickness of success we had with Toews/Kane/etc. most hawks fans are just impatient. They want him to be 80 points right away. If he continues to develop he will be a great player on the Hawks.

Our extreme need for a #2 center, unfairly puts alot of pressure and hate on him as well.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I have no problem with Marcus Kruger. He is a solid player, who is responsible in his own end and his hockey IQ seems to be above average. That being said - at this point he has shown nothing to indicate he has top 6 offensive potential. And since Dave Bolland has the #3 center position locked up for a long time - where Kruger can fit with the Hawks longterm is questionable.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I'm a big fan of Krugers actually as a hawks fan that is a little rare. We were spoiled with the quickness of success we had with Toews/Kane/etc. most hawks fans are just impatient. They want him to be 80 points right away. If he continues to develop he will be a great player on the Hawks.

Our extreme need for a #2 center, unfairly puts alot of pressure and hate on him as well.

I think that's exactly it.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Not sure where Kruger actually fits in...He should be better as he matures...In the meantime, Sharp played #2C in 2010, not sure why Q doesn't have him there, at least until they can find someone that can take that spot...Kane is NOT a C.

chimp82x

Jul 3, 2012
Whitby, ON
I can't say I watched a lot of Hawks games but according the player usage charts, Kruger was the only player on the team who started <50% of his shifts in the offensive zone AND has a positive Corsi. He did better than Smith and Frolik who were used in similar situations.

Not a bad rookie year, all things considered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad