Former Bruins Marcus Johansson - Sabres sign forward Marcus Johansson to two-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
They can’t afford him

I’m GM I:

A. Sign McAvoy, Carlo, Heinen

B. Work on extending Coyle and even Krug

C. Grzelcyk & DeBrusk up next yr

Also when is expansion draft? Can you avoid signing Krug till after ?
His contract is up next Summer (2020). The expansion draft is in 2021. Maybe he takes a 1-year extensions before his big pay day?

Reactions: DKH

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I liked Johansson. He was better than i expected him to be actually. Buuuuuut i think they let him walk for cheaper options.

Then they will be trading for a lesser version of him next deadline.

If he takes 5x25 you bit his arm off. It will be a better deal than any team gets from a UFA. What’s the alternate pay Anders Lee 8 per? If you can get Mojo for 5 when Skinner gets 9 that’s a serious steal for us.

We can afford it if we don’t pay Heinen 3 per.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Then they will be trading for a lesser version of him next deadline.

If he takes 5x25 you bit his arm off. It will be a better deal than any team gets from a UFA. What’s the alternate pay Anders Lee 8 per? If you can get Mojo for 5 when Skinner gets 9 that’s a serious steal for us.

We can afford it if we don’t pay Heinen 3 per.

I mentioned on one of the other threads, I do think that Sweeney has to make some tradeoffs, and one of them you laid out

Resign Johansson, and deal Heinen in a package, or Resign Heinen and let Johansson go

Reactions: Flannelman

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The top priority still needs to be a RW for Krejci. Am I crazy for holding out for Bjork/Senyshen/Kuhlman? Probably.

Ferland would be good if he's not too expensive. Zucker might be good. Toffoli would be my top choice. Heck even Corey Perry at $1m might be worth it if he's bought out, you could always replace him at the trade deadline.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The top priority still needs to be a RW for Krejci. Am I crazy for holding out for Bjork/Senyshen/Kuhlman? Probably.

Ferland would be good if he's not too expensive. Zucker might be good. Toffoli would be my top choice. Heck even Corey Perry at $1m might be worth it if he's bought out, you could always replace him at the trade deadline.

Perry and Marchand on the same team?

Expect a lot more work for the PK if that happens.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Surprised more people aren't "liking" this. Johansson was one of our best players in the post-season, one of our best 5on5 players and one of our most dangerous players in G7... His 9 even strength points were more than Bergeron had, and Mojo did it averaging just 14 minutes a night, which puts him 8th on the team in ice time for forwards, that's less than Kuraly and on par with Nordstrom.

Put me in the camp that says signing him is a priority.

Reactions: Flannelman

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
i thought mojo was great addition, but wouldnt go crazy on the dollar amount and term. I project his as a 35-45 point versatile forward who can play on any line. 4.5 x 4 is the most the bruins should offer. i cant see anybody paying 5 x 5.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Surprised more people aren't "liking" this. Johansson was one of our best players in the post-season, one of our best 5on5 players and one of our most dangerous players in G7... His 9 even strength points were more than Bergeron had, and Mojo did it averaging just 14 minutes a night, which puts him 8th on the team in ice time for forwards, that's less than Kuraly and on par with Nordstrom.

So skilled.

Don’t know what it would take but find a way.

Reactions: PlayMakers

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
4.5 isn’t bad. I pretty much knew he was a definite rental so it doesn’t really sting too much. He was a bit more skilled than I thought he was. Probably one of the best deadline pick ups since Recchi.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Sucks to see him not coming back. He was one of those rare deadline deals where the player slots in perfectly

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
A fair deal with neither crazy AAV nor term.

Too bad it's not with the B's, as the team really clicked with him both on and off the ice.

Guess for him, that unfinished business from June 12 will remain unfinished business, signing with Buffalo.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

reading this now breaks my heart

Reactions: PlayMakers

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Confused a little about this - I haven't fiddled around with our cap much, but...couldn't the Bruins have afforded 2 years at 4.5? Either Sweeney has something better in mind (doubtful, but possible), or he didn't want to bother with an offer that would have actually been accepted (also doubtful), or Sweeney didn't want to pay that contract.

Conversely, I can't see JoJo preferring Buffalo to Boston, but maybe I'm looking at it through black-and-gold colored glasses. I mean, no offense, but....Boston's a bigger market. The team's not in a rebuild/tailspin. Everyone talked about how well the team meshed together - that 2018-9 was a "special team". (Of course, you always say that when you're 1 game away from winning the Cup...but I don't think there were huge "locker room" issues.)

Maybe I'm just not a good capologist, but couldn't we have swung 2 at 4.5? Plus, if you lock up that money, you may be able to bargain a little more with the RFAs, saying "we just don't have that money anymore." When the pie's a little smaller, everyone might be willing to take a smaller slice.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Confused a little about this - I haven't fiddled around with our cap much, but...couldn't the Bruins have afforded 2 years at 4.5? Either Sweeney has something better in mind (doubtful, but possible), or he didn't want to bother with an offer that would have actually been accepted (also doubtful), or Sweeney didn't want to pay that contract.

Conversely, I can't see JoJo preferring Buffalo to Boston, but maybe I'm looking at it through black-and-gold colored glasses. I mean, no offense, but....Boston's a bigger market. The team's not in a rebuild/tailspin. Everyone talked about how well the team meshed together - that 2018-9 was a "special team". (Of course, you always say that when you're 1 game away from winning the Cup...but I don't think there were huge "locker room" issues.)

Maybe I'm just not a good capologist, but couldn't we have swung 2 at 4.5? Plus, if you lock up that money, you may be able to bargain a little more with the RFAs, saying "we just don't have that money anymore." When the pie's a little smaller, everyone might be willing to take a smaller slice.

bruins could be in very tight with the cap... there is some talk coming from dom now that backes is headed to surgery. if you connect the dots this is potentially saying he might be headed to ltir

ltir isnt exactly the same as being below the cap but it does allow you to spend the same money twice. if backes truely is on ltir for the next 2 seasons we could in theory have fit Johansson into his spot on the roster.

the problem with this is... ltir guarantees you will MAX out your cap BEFORE bonus money is calculated. ltir NEVER gives you relief until you are OVER the cap. so you know you will end up with bonus overage penalties basically if you plan on taking advantage of ltir.

so you can end up overspending the first year... fine... but the second year you will actually have a smaller cap and more problems

personally i dont know what McAvoy/carlo/Heinen are asking for. i have looked at the cap often and if they come in at around 13 mill between them we should be ok.. im basing that on trading kevin miller and john moore OR putting backes on the ltir.

we need to find some way to remove 5 mill cap hit to get the deal done.

it just isnt realistic to be adding someone like johannson or ferland unless we are moving someone like krug.

more likely we are going to sign our rfa... and then next year we will probably resign krug/debrusk/coyle to what should be minimum 8 million dollars worth of raises too.

so... moore/miller go this year to afford this years free agents
and then backes/chara goes next year to afford next years free agents

but unless you know of some other way to create cap room we got no room to afford anyone coming in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad