Value of: Marcus Johannson

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It might be time for Washington to part ways with Mojo finally. He's heading into arbitration again and might be looking at a $4.5 mil award. Caps don't want to lose him for nothing.

He's 26 at the start of next season, scored 44,47,46 pts the last 3 seasons...20 and 17 goals the last two years. Can play PP1 and PK, but isn't a good faceoff guy. Great wheels and hands.

I'd like a similar middle-6 player coming back, maybe even another pending RFA.

Offers?

Helps if I could spell his name lol.....I blame Apple!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I could see Montreal maybe wanting him. Or even Columbus if Washington is willing to take back a contract.

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
It might be time for Washington to part ways with Mojo finally. He's heading into arbitration again and might be looking at a $4.5 mil award. Caps don't want to lose him for nothing.

He's 26 at the start of next season, scored 44,47,46 pts the last 3 seasons...20 and 17 goals the last two years. Can play PP1 and PK, but isn't a good faceoff guy. Great wheels and hands.

I'd like a similar middle-6 player coming back, maybe even another pending RFA.

Offers?

Helps if I could spell his name lol.....I blame Apple!

You can take Helm for me!

illpucks

May 26, 2011
JVR

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
How about:

Spooner + DeBrusk + 2017 EDM 2nd for Johansson + Bowey?

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
We filled the 3C hole with Eller. Pass.

Meh. Seems like Washington is giving up the two best assets. I'll take quality over quantity here. I'd be more interested if you took out Bowey and DeBrusk.
Nice avatar btw ;). I totally forgot Washington got Eller which is why I proposed offering Spooner to fill the #3C hole you guys had. I wanted to add to Spooner to get Bowey since the Bruins have a hole on D. If Bowey and DeBrusk are out of the equation, I don't think the Bruins trade Spooner and a 2nd for Johansson. Spooner and Johansson are very similar production-wise, and the Bruins need Spooner's speed, PP ability, and the depth he provides at center. Hopefully everything works out for you guys regarding Johansson.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nice avatar btw ;). I totally forgot Washington got Eller which is why I proposed offering Spooner to fill the #3C hole you guys had. I wanted to add to Spooner to get Bowey since the Bruins have a hole on D. If Bowey and DeBrusk are out of the equation, I don't think the Bruins trade Spooner and a 2nd for Johansson. Spooner and Johansson are very similar production-wise, and the Bruins need Spooner's speed, PP ability, and the depth he provides at center. Hopefully everything works out for you guys regarding Johansson.

Funny considering Mojo provides those as well...

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
What would Toronto want for JVR? As a Van fan I wouldn't mind him on our 2nd line.

We don't have a reason to move JVR for anything other than a young top 4 defenseman with upside or a high enough pick to draft said defensemen.

Also, I'm not sure why we would move him for mojo... they're the same age and JVR is more proven and plays at a bigger position of need.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Also, I'm not sure why we would move him for mojo... they're the same age and JVR is more proven and plays at a bigger position of need.

Johansson has primarily played LW for quite a while now, with a couple spurts at RW before and after Oates' tenure. He had a stint at 3C this past year, but he's essentially a winger at this point.

One reason Johansson might be appealing to Toronto is that they have an opportunity to extend him long term right now, where-as JVR can walk in two years (and will require a significant raise to keep). While a long-term extension for Johansson will be more expensive than JVR's current contract, it would likely be cheaper than his next one.

Regardless, Washington would have to add to Johansson to land JVR. The question is what would Toronto be interested in? I think I could support Johansson + Samsonov for JVR. Could that be a passable deal from the Leafs' perspective?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Johansson has primarily played LW for quite a while now, with a couple spurts at RW before and after Oates' tenure. He had a stint at 3C this past year, but he's essentially a winger at this point.

One reason Johansson might be appealing to Toronto is that they have an opportunity to extend him long term right now, where-as JVR can walk in two years (and will require a significant raise to keep). While a long-term extension for Johansson will be more expensive than JVR's current contract, it would likely be cheaper than his next one.

Regardless, Washington would have to add to Johansson to land JVR. The question is what would Toronto be interested in? I think I could support Johansson + Samsonov for JVR. Could that be a passable deal from the Leafs' perspective?

Overpayment from the Caps.

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015

That's terrible for WSH. I don't understand why some caps fans are hot to move perhaps the top goalie prospect right now. Swapping mojo for JVR at the expense of of Samsonov isn't the move that wins you a cup. It only hampers you 5 years down the line if you want/need to move on from Holtby.

This is George McPhee-esque.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
Time to move on.

The Caps will sorely miss his PP skills. The PP is better with Marcus - no question about it.

But it's time to move on... Trotz-hockey doesn't fit Marcus and vice versa.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It only hampers you 5 years down the line if you want/need to move on from Holtby.

This is George McPhee-esque.
Five years down the line should not be a main concern for the Caps. If it significantly enhances their short-term odds they need to go for it. One or maybe two years down the line? Fine but it's neither a sure thing that Holtby will need to be moved on from at 31 nor that Samsonov is necessarily the answer. He has fine pedigree but they'd have a lot of drafts to come up with another option beyond Grubauer, Vanecek and whatever they find among college free agents.

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
Five years down the line should not be a main concern for the Caps. If it significantly enhances their short-term odds they need to go for it. One or maybe two years down the line? Fine but it's neither a sure thing that Holtby will need to be moved on from at 31 nor that Samsonov is necessarily the answer. He has fine pedigree but they'd have a lot of drafts to come up with another option beyond Grubauer, Vanecek and whatever they find among college free agents.

As much as I want the caps to 'go all in', I don't think, on the average, trading away blue chip talent in a situation the caps are in necessarily is the difference maker in hoisting the cup.

More to this point, my opinion is JVR is not some majestic missing piece that makes everything click for WSH. Good player and if we are actually moving Mojo he'd be a good option, but not if it costs us Samsonov or Bowey.

Maybe I'm just too cautious when it comes to high level prospect talent? But I don't want auction off future talent for a 1 or 2 year slight upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad