Dec 2, 2008

sturm-215x300.jpg

This was always my favorite.

:laugh:

Farewell, sweet goal face.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Brought undeniable passion to the ice every game. He was part of the group that halped change the culture in Boston. Unfortunate the way things ended for him here, but that's the way it sometimes goes.
Best of luck to him. He was a good Bruin, which is a pretty high compliment in my eyes.
That Winter Classic goal is definitely one for the ages, as regular season goals go

The culture changed when they parted with guys like Sturm, Kobasew, Wheeler and Boyes IMO.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
He was one of the players who helped changed the culture with the Bruins. Edit: my point about the Bruin culture is to play your best when it matters the most.

I wish him nothing but the best as he moves in to his next adventure.

Game 6 will be the memory I take of him forever.

Just watched the montage of game 6 by Dafoomie. Still get goose bumps!

Last edited:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
0417hockeye20_preview.jpg

Not nearly enough goal face in this thread. What happened to his goalface .gif, that was beauty.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Loved watching the guy... I can't even fathom how great his numbers could have been if he wasn't as hurt as often as he was... But that is a testament to how hard he played... never shirked.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Viel Glück und beste Grüße, Marco.

That Winter Classic shot is an all-time favorite image.

I remember that game against the Lightning when he made Mike Smith look pretty foolish.

Marco celly'd before it was cool.

sturm120209.JPG

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The culture changed when they parted with guys like Sturm, Kobasew, Wheeler and Boyes IMO.

The greatest "call" I ever had was after I walked out of the building in game 6, telling all my friends that was the game where hockey returned to Boston. If you don't remember the significance that game had on the way people looked at the Bruins, I'm sorry you completely missed it.

Sturm couldn't stay forever, but game 6 was the turning point for the past 15 years of Bruins mediocrity, and he was the biggest, most memorable part of that game. Remember, he threw the pass cross crease to Kessel for the 4th goal as well.

Is he a "great" hockey player? I wouldn't say so. Certainly poured his heart into the game. And saying that getting rid of a guy like him was where the Bruins' culture changed just makes me think you truly didn't comprehend what was one of the biggest moments in recent Bruins histoty.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
The greatest "call" I ever had was after I walked out of the building in game 6, telling all my friends that was the game where hockey returned to Boston. If you don't remember the significance that game had on the way people looked at the Bruins, I'm sorry you completely missed it.

Sturm couldn't stay forever, but game 6 was the turning point for the past 15 years of Bruins mediocrity, and he was the biggest, most memorable part of that game. Remember, he threw the pass cross crease to Kessel for the 4th goal as well.

Is he a "great" hockey player? I wouldn't say so. Certainly poured his heart into the game. And saying that getting rid of a guy like him was where the Bruins' culture changed just makes me think you truly didn't comprehend what was one of the biggest moments in recent Bruins histoty.

How quickly people forget his 13 other playoffs games. Tyler Seguin once had a good playoff game, too. Forget that one game (in a series the Bruins lost). He was either invisible or injured.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
How quickly people forget his 13 other playoffs games. Tyler Seguin once had a good playoff game, too. Forget that one game (in a series the Bruins lost). He was either invisible or injured.

You're completely missing the point. The moment he and that team created (yes, in a series they lost, captain Obvious) set the stage for the bigger and better teams to come. Fans starting taking the team seriously again because they put up one hell of a fight to a heavily favored Habs team. It was a less-than-great group of NHL players that completely overachived based on fight and character and Marco in game 6 was at the forefront.

I'm not looking to analyze his career. As I said, I never saw the guy as a legend who would always remain. But for the team, at the moment, he was truly great.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Hard to hate or even dislike a guy like him. Had a couple of phenomenal years here and was a key guy in the room and on the ice.

Happy he got to spend some of his better years here in Boston. If he ever wanted a job in the organization I'm sure he wouldn't have to wait too long.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Great post, and truly, when Chia moved Sturmy, he moved a guy who would go onto to score exactly 8 more goals in his next 83 NHL games, he was pretty much done. Loved Marco`s intensity, too bad he couldn`t stay healthy. He was a very good NHL player, not a great one though IMO.

He was, by all appearances, a great teammate and one who tried to lead by example and THAT, was a huge part of the shift in culture of this organization of which he was a big part of

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
One of my all time favorite Bruins. Love his goal face, love his heart. No one was more enthused for his linemates when they scored a goal, and when he scored himself, that face was just too precious for words.

Best of luck, Marco. Lots of great memories of you as a Bruin. Game 6 and Winter Classic amongst some of my favorites.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
One of my all time favorite Bruins. Love his goal face, love his heart. No one was more enthused for his linemates when they scored a goal, and when he scored himself, that face was just too precious for words.

Best of luck, Marco. Lots of great memories of you as a Bruin. Game 6 and Winter Classic amongst some of my favorites.

Nice to see you posting ! :)

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Seemed like he was always smiling - the Winter Classic goal is one of my all-time favorites...

Good luck Marco!!!

Marco would always scrap the blades of his skates on the wood by where they go out on the ice. He seemed like a pretty happy guy . He and Savvy got along well.

I bet he does something in the hockey world. We will see.;)

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
As mentoned earlier, the Game 6 winner served notice that a new era was upon us, the train was finally headed in the right direction, and no setback would be too much. And I also witnessed the Winter Classic winner live. Solid, clutch player. Thanks and good luck Marco. The best Marco in Bruins history (with Marco Baron a distant second:)

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
That goal and win in game 6 against Montreal changed everything. Yes, we lost game 7 but it felt different. Anyone denying that is revisiting history differently than it should be told/remembered.

PietB

Random User
Apr 29, 2011
Denmany and Germark
Sturm's a great guy, a great character. I'm glad I got the chance at least to see him play with Cologne last spring.

Hope he enjoys his retirement... even though I don't understand why he would pick living in Florida over living in Boston ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad