Value of: Marco Scandella (off-season)

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I think he may end up being the odd man out of Buffalo’s defense Corp.

Reasons:

1) Dahlin, Ristolainen, McCabe, Bogosian & possibly now Beaulieu are all ahead of him, and all younger.

2) Casey Nelson is a solid #7, is younger and has another year left on his contract for about $800K.

3) Buffalo has Pilut, Guhle & Borgen pushing from Rochester along with unsigned prospects Samuelsson and Laaksonen.

So my question is, what would give up from your team for the final year of Scandella at a $4M cap hit?

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Buffalo's defence is horrible why would they take him? You really expect the rest of the D to overachieve all year?

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Buffalo's defence is horrible why would they take him? You really expect the rest of the D to overachieve all year?

1) I think Dahlin’s emergence is finally allowing Ristolainen to find his place as a solid #3 on the 2nd pair.

2) McCabe was hampered by injuries all year last year and before that was on an upward trajectory.

3) Bogosian might not stay healthy, but I have always sided with younger depth as opposed to older depth (Beaulieu & Nelson).

4) it could Just be a funk. But Scandella is closing in on 30, has injury history, and I’d like to think we should cash in while we can.

Again it is just speculation

Reactions: crossbownerf

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Would love Scandella back if Brodin is traded.

Why would Brodin be traded though? Are there rumblings?

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Horrible? Scandella would be a second pairing on most teams. Buffalo D is humming and only getting younger while oozing with potential. Toronto wishes they had a surplus Marco Scandella

I meant to say trade. Their D. is horrible and Scandella is one of the few good ones. The bolded is a huge stretch, Dahlin is the only defence man they have that actually has potential to be a top pairing guy. Then you have Ristolainen who should be a 2nd pair dman that gets played way too much, Scandella,then a bunch of other guys who are bubble players. Their defence isn't really better than the Leafs d-core. Just a bunch of guys playing over their heads.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I meant to say trade. Their D. is horrible and Scandella is one of the few good ones. The bolded is a huge stretch, Dahlin is the only defence man they have that actually has potential to be a top pairing guy. Then you have Ristolainen who should be a 2nd pair dman that gets played way too much, Scandella,then a bunch of other guys who are bubble players. Their defence isn't really better than the Leafs d-core. Just a bunch of guys playing over their heads.

Yeah the fact you called Jake McCabe a bubble player after how hes played this season tells us all we need to know.

Risto is absolutely a top 60 dman, ainec. Sabres D is fine and we are loaded with good D prospects. Scandella has been one of our worst dmen easily behind Risto, Dahlin, McCabe and Bogo.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I’d like him in STL. We could give a forward like Perron or Bozak in return?

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Yeah the fact you called Jake McCabe a bubble player after how hes played this season tells us all we need to know.

Risto is absolutely a top 60 dman, ainec. Sabres D is fine and we are loaded with good D prospects. Scandella has been one of our worst dmen easily behind Risto, Dahlin, McCabe and Bogo.

Its been 25 games. Doesn't change what he is. I assume Bogosian is a top pairing dman too now? Skinner is a 60 goal scorer? Hutton is a top 5 goalie? Cat wait till Mittlestadt actually plays somewhat good and Sabres fans label him the next Kane.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
They just signed those guys. How often do guys get traded 1 year into a multi year deal after signing with a new team as a UFA?
The title says offseason. Guys get traded a year after their signings pretty often. Why is that a big deal?

Especially considering we have already traded Perron once and left him exposed in an expansion draft another time.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
The title says offseason. Guys get traded a year after their signings pretty often. Why is that a big deal?

Like who? Also its a big deal because if you just ditch guys right after signing them it kind of ruins your reputation for other UFAs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Its been 25 games. Doesn't change what he is. I assume Bogosian is a top pairing dman too now? Skinner is a 60 goal scorer? Hutton is a top 5 goalie? Cat wait till Mittlestadt actually plays somewhat good and Sabres fans label him the next Kane.
Yeah, I think BUF fans should take a deep breath. Last year, Scandella was a top pairing D, according to them, and this year, he's a 3rd pairing D.

I think it's much more likely that he is, and always has been, a second pairing Dman. It's possible that the fluctuation in his play is due to either an injury, players, or system, this year.

Reactions: umbertovanek

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
I am going to have to drink a lot tonight so I can lose enough brain cells for this to make any sense

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Like who? Also its a big deal because if you just ditch guys right after signing them it kind of ruins your reputation for other UFAs.
No it doesn't. Waiting a full year after you sign them isn't a problem. It's not like you sign them and instantly trade them a month later.

Case in point, the Blues re-signed both Berglund and Sobotka a year ago and then traded them for ROR.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018

Or we can all pretend they’re the next dynasty over and over again and not understand why they get bounced and swept from the playoffs in the first round every year.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
How about Buffalo keeps him. He started slow last season then quickly became our best blueliner. Injuries to dmen are a thing, just ask the 2005/06 Sabres.
The fact that two or three of our dmen that everybody wanted to run out of town last year are having bounce-back years doesn't mean we don't need affordable quality depth on the backend. If you have Scandella on your third pair, it means your blueline is in decent shape.

Reactions: CupWanted

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
How about Buffalo keeps him. He started slow last season then quickly became our best blueliner. Injuries to dmen are a thing, just ask the 2005/06 Sabres.
The fact that two or three of our dmen that everybody wanted to run out of town last year are having bounce-back years doesn't mean we don't need affordable quality depth on the backend. If you have Scandella on your third pair, it means your blueline is in decent shape.

All of this. Came here to post the exact same thing.

Reactions: umbertovanek

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny

I don't think Scandella (or Bogosian or Ristolainen) are bad, I'm just not sure they're good enough. If I was to look at this team and identify the area in most need of an upgrade, it's D.

That happens in one of three ways
1. Dahlin gets stupid good, stupid fast.
2. Pilut is the second coming (also I don't know if Guhle and Borgen are at "Pushing" for a spot in the NHL right now)
3. We upgrade someone else in the top four (Scandella, Bogosian or Ristolainen)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad