Signing(s): Marco Estrada back to the Blue Jays (2 years/26 M)

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Looks like it's just being finalized now. MLBTR says it'll be about 2 years 26M.

AA who?

I can most certainly live with this :) Great job Shapiro/Lacava. Will want to see the full details but can't believe Estrada agreed to such low term. Now go get another pitcher and fix the bullpen.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I hate....nothing about his deal and I'm glad it's done. I've heard some reports that there is a club option for a 3rd year but I'll wait for full deets.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Very happy with the term. Very reasonable deal. Now all we need is an ace if Price is gone (likely). Zimmerman would probably be expensive.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Probably safe to say he left more lucrative offers on the table. Must really like it in Toronto.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Probably safe to say he left more lucrative offers on the table. Must really like it in Toronto.

Lots of stories and word of mouth situations about how much Estrada's wife was in love with Toronto. Never underestimate the power of the family.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
This is amazing. He could have gotten 4/50 or close to it from another team I'm sure of it. Still good for Marco. Getting a nice healthy pay raise.

#1 - ???
#2 - Stroman
#3 - Estrada
#4 - Dickey
#5 - Hutchinson

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Very good deal for the Jays, no doubt.

They still need a top of the rotation arm though...

Honestly, if I was Estrada's agent, I would have just taken the QO and gambled he could guarantee himself at least 10 M in next year's FA market, which is weak on SP's.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Very good deal for the Jays, no doubt.

They still need a top of the rotation arm though...

Honestly, if I was Estrada's agent, I would have just taken the QO and gambled he could guarantee himself at least 10 M in next year's FA market, which is weak on SP's.

Estrada is probably interested in winning and realized taking less money per year but more overall can help the Jays spend the money elsewhere

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
SP: ?
SP: Marcus Stroman (R)
SP: Marco Estrada (R)
SP: R.A. Dickey (R)
SP: Drew Hutchison (R)

LR: ?
MR: ?
MR: Liam Hendriks (R)
MR: Aaron Loup (L)
SU: Aaron Sanchez
SU: Brett Cecil (L)
CL: Roberto Osuna (R)

Not a bad looking pitching staff as of now

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
SP: ?
SP: Marcus Stroman (R)
SP: Marco Estrada (R)
SP: R.A. Dickey (R)
SP: Drew Hutchison (R)

LR: ?
MR: ?
MR: Liam Hendriks (R)
MR: Aaron Loup (L)
SU: Aaron Sanchez (R)
SU: Brett Cecil (L)
CL: Roberto Osuna (R)

Not a bad looking pitching staff as of now

Could see Lowe coming back but I think it was pretty apparent we need an upgrade in the pen and another lefty arm would be great.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Could see Lowe coming back but I think it was pretty apparent we need an upgrade in the pen and another lefty arm would be great.

I am confident that Loup will turn it around. He had a decent season but he had terrible luck. Another lefty wouldn't be bad though, bringing back Lowe would be huge, he was great for us down the stretch.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
It sounds kinda crazy but it would sort of be great if Buehrle came back to be the long arm in the pen for the Jays. I'm confident he can still get outs if he wants to come back. Still no official word on retirement I believe.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It sounds kinda crazy but it would sort of be great if Buehrle came back to be the long arm in the pen for the Jays. I'm confident he can still get outs if he wants to come back. Still no official word on retirement I believe.

Marky will be in the woods in a tree-stand before he accepts a bullpen role. If that's what it comes down to for him, he'll just retire.

Lowe coming back would be great. Just at what price point.

I hope they can pick Ken Giles from Philly. They don't really have a use for an elite reliever at this stage.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Buehrle looked toast by the end of the year...you could probably bring someone up from the minors and do just as good as a long man. Also, I would want someone who has a K/9 rate of higher than 4.1 coming out of the bullpen.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Marky will be in the woods in a tree-stand before he accepts a bullpen role. If that's what it comes down to for him, he'll just retire.

Well obviously it would only be if he were open to the idea. I wouldn't mind having him back as an insurance plan if Hutch is hot garbage again. Then Hutch could go into the pen Buerhle could take the no. 5 spot but this is all what ifs anyway. Jays need a power arm to add the the rotation ideally.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Well obviously it would only be if he were open to the idea. I wouldn't mind having him back as an insurance plan if Hutch is hot garbage again. Then Hutch could go into the pen Buerhle could take the no. 5 spot but this is all what ifs anyway. Jays need a power arm to add the the rotation ideally.

No faith in Sanchez making the move back?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad