Marcinin vs Klefbom

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
In your opinion, who do you think is going to be the better player out of these two?

I personally think that Marcinin is going to be the better player but I feel like the Oilers organization has higher hopes for Klefbom and are favouring him a bit over Marcinin right now.

Mods can you please make this a poll question. :)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Marincin was the better player last year. By the end of camp was the better player now, and will be the better player in the future.

It's ludicrous that Klefbom made this team over Marincin. Absolutely ludicrous.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think that Klefbom will be a better player, because being as strong as he is right now is a big advantage for him, however I feel BOTH will be top-4 defensemen for a long stretch, and the Oilers will be laughing at the fact that's what they got 3 top-4 defensemen out of Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
I was getting roasted in the preseason thread suggesting that Marincin should have made it over Klefbom. I think Klef had a good camp, but Marincin had a better one. Guess I'm the minority. :dunno:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Too early to tell.

One guy played 40 games the other 20.

Wouldn't mind seeing a full season from both but i guess we have to find out what Brad hunt is all about first.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I think it won't be long before they're both full-time in the NHL anyways, so who gets to start the season there doesn't matter much to me. If I had to guess, both will be very equal for a good portion of their career.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Both would be on my team this year. Nurse would not. I want both getting at bats so that when we break in Nurse NEXT year, we have two players around the 100 games played mark, and not 3 of them under 80.

I am a huge Klefbom fan, but I didn't see him outplay Marincin.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I think they will both be good and both be key parts of the team for years to come, however this is the oilers.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'm convinced Klef will be the better player in the long term. Maybe Marincin deserves to be on the team now, but Klef will pass him. I think both will be very good NHLrs and I'm glad we have both in the organization.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
My money is on Klef, he is just much strong, better skater. Well Marincin is a very smart player, I don't see him having the speed of strength to become a really good top 4 D man. Klef has all the tools and he seems to have the capicity to think the game well enough.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Both are good .. neither is a top pairing Dman ..

pretty much a toss up between the 2 at this point. Marincin needs a mean streak and Klefbom needs to settle his game down.

I am 100% sure that had Marincin dropped his gloves after Ssstito ran Fasth over he would be playing in the NHL and Nurse would be in minors. The team lacks grit on back end and Nurse stepped up when Marincin didnt do enough.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
I am 100% sure that had Marincin dropped his gloves after Ssstito ran Fasth over he would be playing in the NHL and Nurse would be in minors. The team lacks grit on back end and Nurse stepped up when Marincin didnt do enough.

Awesome observation, that stuck out to me too... Cringe worthy!

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think its an inevitability that one of the gets moved this year

Both are close to being full time NHLers and we only really have the space for one of them currently.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
My money is on Klef, he is just much strong, better skater. Well Marincin is a very smart player, I don't see him having the speed of strength to become a really good top 4 D man. Klef has all the tools and he seems to have the capicity to think the game well enough.

I think this is fair. Klefbom has better core skills than Marincin already, and a better physique.

The issue is that Marincin just knows the game better. He reads the play better. He has a better ability to use what he has effectively. In the NHL that is the #1 quality a player needs to be successful. It's what separates the decent Dmen from the elite ones.

Barker is the classic example of a Dman with amazing core skills and physical attributes, but no ability to coordinate them within a team environment. Klefbom is already better than Barker was in terms of hockey IQ, but that's the principle here. It's why I feel Marincin is better than Klefbom for the NHL at this time.

MacT is banking that Klefbom can connect the dots very quickly and find his groove in the NHL. It's a risk that can pay off because if Klefbom can play like Marincin and do all the little things well, then he will be better than Marincin. At any rate, maybe it's best to find out if Klefbom has that ability sooner rather than later, because if he trends like Barker then we can cut our ties from him before the team suffers too much.

I like Klefbom and so I would like to see what he can do, but I thought that the team needs the steady, smarter player right now since the lineup has changed so much, so quickly.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I actually thought Klefbom looked better than Marincin for the majority of training camp up until the 2nd or 3rd last game where he made a couple bad gaffs, but aside from that game I feel like Klefbom was better.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Both are good .. neither is a top pairing Dman ..

pretty much a toss up between the 2 at this point. Marincin needs a mean streak and Klefbom needs to settle his game down.

That had nothing to do with anything. Marincin isn't a fighter and isn't expected to fight by anyone. If Klefbom had been in the same position, it would have been the same thing. The "reason" Nurse jumped in was Sesitito already sucker punched one other player that game.

As for Nurse in the minors, I'll assume you mean back to Junior, because if he could go to the minors he would be there Right now. The problem that befell Marincin is he can go to OKC without clearing waivers, and Nurse can only go back to the OHL. It's really easy to recall Marincin from OKC, it's next to impossible to recall Nurse from the OHL. That's the dominoes there.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That had nothing to do with anything. Marincin isn't a fighter and isn't expected to fight by anyone. If Klefbom had been in the same position, it would have been the same thing. The "reason" Nurse jumped in was Sesitito already sucker punched one other player that game.

As for Nurse in the minors, I'll assume you mean back to Junior, because if he could go to the minors he would be there Right now. The problem that befell Marincin is he can go to OKC without clearing waivers, and Nurse can only go back to the OHL. It's really easy to recall Marincin from OKC, it's next to impossible to recall Nurse from the OHL. That's the dominoes there.

Yeh by minors i meant Junors..
And for the bolded I agree with you... My point is that had Marincin shown some grit or if Klefbom had a physical edge Nurse would not even be in contention for a spot this year. Like I said, had Marincin dropped his golves at that point he would be in NHL right now.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Klefbom has shown nothing IMO that differentiates him or makes him better than Marincin. He also has no offense.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
I actually thought Klefbom looked better than Marincin for the majority of training camp up until the 2nd or 3rd last game where he made a couple bad gaffs, but aside from that game I feel like Klefbom was better.

I agree. Just cause Marty got hot in his last 2 games doesn't mean he leapfrogs what Klef did. Besides Klefboms 2nd last game and the first period of his last, he was the better guy.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I think its an inevitability that one of the gets moved this year

Both are close to being full time NHLers and we only really have the space for one of them currently.

This is how bad teams stay bad.

Ference has been terrible here, and should be moved out at the trade deadline.

Failing that, buy him out in the summer. This creates "space", gets rid of a liability, and preserves an asset.

Stauffer repeatedly said on his program today that Marincin is by far and away the most talked about player when other teams' pro scouts speak to him about the Oilers. Jim Matheson has also heard this. There is a reason for this. 6'4" dmen with that kind of skating and puckhandling don't grow on trees.

Dumb teams like the Oilers get rid of players like Marincin or Klefbom in order to keep players like Ference.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
I'll trust the guys that watch these guys every day.

Marincin may be more steady but Klefbom has more upside. I don't think Marincin has much higher to reach than where he already is.

Marincin also had a pretty slow start to camp this year. I think he thought a job was his. Maybe this is like when they sent Smid down a few years ago to start the season. To wake him up and get some jump going a bit.

When you have nowhere to go but up you gamble a bit and I think thats what the Oilers have done with their final roster/opening day lineup.

I don't think it matters much. Nurse will only get his 9 games, if Klefbom struggles they just swap him out with Marincin. If he plays well in the AHL he'll be back up soon enough.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
I'll trust the guys that watch these guys every day.

Marincin may be more steady but Klefbom has more upside. I don't think Marincin has much higher to reach than where he already is.

Marincin also had a pretty slow start to camp this year. I think he thought a job was his. Maybe this is like when they sent Smid down a few years ago to start the season. To wake him up and get some jump going a bit.

When you have nowhere to go but up you gamble a bit and I think thats what the Oilers have done with their final roster/opening day lineup.

I don't think it matters much. Nurse will only get his 9 games, if Klefbom struggles they just swap him out with Marincin. If he plays well in the AHL he'll be back up soon enough.

I don't know how you can say a 22 year old dman who was one of our best dman during his 40 games, doesn't have more room for Improvement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad