News Article: Marchessault: “Oilers toughest obstacle”

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Vegas game planned us and went after weaknesses the team had early and we fell right back into those bad habits.

Forechecking aggressively and working from below the goal line to the front of the net Vegas was owning us that way. Plus they often times had a player streaking through the slot unchecked. Two of our biggest issues from early season, net front D and poor fwd support in our own zone, came back as soon as Vegas came with a targeted game plan and we didn’t adjust and Skinner couldn’t bail them out like he had at time earlier in the year.

Unfortunate because that was a very winnable series for them even though Vegas is a good, veteran, well coached team that was getting underrated all year long.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Only reason nurse was suspended was because the league new it had to do something about Petros slash so they made sure it evened out.

Like some one said edmontons goaltending cost them that series. I mean they litterally lost game 5 in a 1.20 min span. Then the blatant missed high stick on ekholm with 5 minutes left on game 6.

Let's be honest every thing went right for vegas pain and simple. Amd u mean everything. Not just in r series either.....
The only reason he got suspended is because he's a selfish idiot unable to control his emotions. If the Oilers have him in the lineup in game 5, maybe they would be celebrating the Stanley cup win now.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
And even if he could have won us the series, he had failed so hard, so often all year that he shouldn't have been given the chance. Hindsight is 20/20
And yet Skinner had worse stats throughout the playoffs. I get that he was fine in the regular season, and for that I thank him. And I'm not getting on his case because I really like him. And he was a rookie. But the fact remains he wasn't very good in the playoffs and was outplayed by the other goalies most times. And with goaltending being so crucial, our coach decided to die with him. If he had a super incredible game where he stole one, then I could see riding him. But I didn't see anything like that.

Anyhow, it's all hindsight now and we'll never know, but the fact that we gassed this year is galling. Too many debilitating injuries (again) to key players, one stupid selfish costly play, and questionable coaching. I won't even go into the idiotic reffing and league decisions.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
And yet Skinner had worse stats throughout the playoffs. I get that he was fine in the regular season, and for that I thank him. And I'm not getting on his case because I really like him. And he was a rookie. But the fact remains he wasn't very good in the playoffs and was outplayed by the other goalies most times. And with goaltending being so crucial, our coach decided to die with him. If he had a super incredible game where he stole one, then I could see riding him. But I didn't see anything like that.

Anyhow, it's all hindsight now and we'll never know, but the fact that we gassed this year is galling. Too many debilitating injuries (again) to key players, one stupid selfish costly play, and questionable coaching. I won't even go into the idiotic reffing and league decisions.
Worse stats than Campbell's two periods? Kind of a small sample size don't you think?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm referring to Campbell's regular season stats that some people were bringing up.
Comparing regular season stats to post season stats is silly though.

Really, they went with the one guy who showed he could keep them in games regularly all season. He faltered, but the alternative was a guy who was basically the worst goalie in the league in the regular season.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Really, they went with the one guy who showed he could keep them in games regularly all season. He faltered, but the alternative was a guy who was basically the worst goalie in the league in the regular season.
I understand post season is a different animal, which is exactly why I suggested they make the change. Skinner clearly stumbled and struggled once the heat went up in the playoffs, whereas Campbell has been there before. Campbell has a career 2.28 GAA and .920 save % in the playoffs. That isn't silly.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I understand post season is a different animal, which is exactly why I suggested they make the change. Skinner clearly stumbled and struggled once the heat went up in the playoffs, whereas Campbell has been there before. Campbell has a career 2.28 GAA and .920 save % in the playoffs. That isn't silly.
And yet he always seemed to crumble when Toronto needed him the most. There's a reason they moved on from him.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

who at least showed an ability to make a stop

3 of the 4 teams that made it to the Final Four used 2 goalie, and the Stars who didn't, had a goalie in Oettinger who was the worst of them all

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
who at least showed an ability to make a stop

3 of the 4 teams that made it to the Final Four used 2 goalie, and the Stars who didn't, had a goalie in Oettinger who was the worst of them all
...In garbage time when Vegas let their foot off the gas because trading chances with the Oilers = death.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
no one is saying Campbell was gonna lead the team to a Cup

people are asking to give him a start...what's the harm?
Skinner wasn't making a stop and he looked tired
The team clearly didn't trust him and I don't blame him given his body of work. Had he actually played like a #1 goalie we win the division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad