News Article: Marchessault: “Oilers toughest obstacle”

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
From Luke Fox on Sportsnet:

6. Jonathan Marchessault took a break from watching William Karlsson shirtless and braggadocios to give an excellent interview on Spittin’ Chiclets.

The Conn Smythe champ supplies plenty of golden nuggets on the podcast, including healthy scratch Phil Kessel’s inspirational pre-game speech ahead of the clincher: If you guys make me get on a plane and fly all the way back to Florida …

Marchessault also makes it clear that the Golden Knights’ second-round series against the Edmonton Oilers was their toughest obstacle (aggregate score: 22-19). He says the Knights were “lucky” Darnell Nurse got suspended in addition to Alex Pietrangelo for Game 5.

“It has to be the hardest matchup we had. Like, you had a two-goal lead, and you were never safe. That was just an elite team. The thing is, we had to be disciplined. I’ve never seen anything like it,” Marchessault said.

“Even 4-on-4 was not good for our team. So, that was a big factor. The 5-on-5 game, we know we were better than them, so that’s where we got them a little bit.”

Marchessault admitted that Vegas was so fortunate with its health during the tournament that they could’ve played a fifth series if necessary.

And then there was this response to the idea of Paul Bissonnette’s beloved Maple Leafs inching toward a Stanley Cup of their own:

“It’s hard for me to see it. I just don’t know. Like, they get past the first round, and they lose in five to a team (Florida) that I think was — they were hot at the right time, obviously — but I mean, I don’t know,” Marchessault said of the Leafs.

“It’s hard for me to see. There’s a lot of things that need to change if they want to win.”

All, not sure if thread worthy, mods delete if so.
‘Also, not sure how to post link, and apologize if posted elsewhere.

I think it shows how close we are as a team. No major major holes. Interesting quotes.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Marsh is complete class. Telling it like it is. He doesn't have to, and he said it all. Also agree with him though that Vegas was better 5 on 5.

I also like that Marchessault was the one that unmasked our coaching and that he was as clear and honest about that. He's very candid, a rarity.

Last edited:

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Only reason nurse was suspended was because the league new it had to do something about Petros slash so they made sure it evened out.

Like some one said edmontons goaltending cost them that series. I mean they litterally lost game 5 in a 1.20 min span. Then the blatant missed high stick on ekholm with 5 minutes left on game 6.

Let's be honest every thing went right for vegas pain and simple. Amd u mean everything. Not just in r series either.....

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Only reason nurse was suspended was because the league new it had to do something about Petros slash so they made sure it evened out.

Like some one said edmontons goaltending cost them that series. I mean they litterally lost game 5 in a 1.20 min span. Then the blatant missed high stick on ekholm with 5 minutes left on game 6.

Let's be honest every thing went right for vegas pain and simple. Amd u mean everything. Not just in r series either.....
And he was brain dead enough to get in a meaningless fight at the end of an absolutely critical game in a tight series that hung in the balance. His decision was immature and hopefully a lesson for this entire team to get more serious about winning, not settling stupid scores and getting caught up in mind games. Be cold blooded killers in the scoreboard, settle the issue next season if you want.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
And he was brain dead enough to get in a meaningless fight at the end of an absolutely critical game in a tight series that hung in the balance. His decision was immature and hopefully a lesson for this entire team to get more serious about winning, not settling stupid scores and getting caught up in mind games. Be cold blooded killers in the scoreboard, settle the issue next season if you want.
These playoffs proved that a lot of the team need to learn this tbh.

Don't have a problem with guys getting angry but they almost pissed away what should have been an easy series against LA for the same reason. Weren't content beating them on the scoreboard and spent the first 3 games slashing guys after the whistle and getting penalties for it. And that was pent up frustration they had against a Kings team that they *beat* last year, who knows how bad it'll be if they end up having to go through Vegas again.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'm still peeved that we never gave Campbell even 1 game to try and turn it around. With a little bit of luck we'd be Cup Champions right now.
I strongly thought they were going to Campbell one game. He saved their hide a few times. Woody faulted here massively.
On to next year. I love summer but the sporting scene this time of year is no good. October -December best time of year for sports. NFL, NHL, baseball playoffs, NCAA football

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Still peeved how bad the league f'd up the whole petro/nurse situation. Petro viscously slashes Draisaitl and the league 'punishes' Vegas by gifting them the seires and the cup. If the league wasn't so incompetent (or fixed), nurse is in, Petro is out for the series and the Oilers win the cup. Garbage league and March admits it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oh good, we're back to "well at least they're being nice to us".

What a douchebag on a team full of them.
“Vegas player coming in peace.”

Who gives a f*** what he says. We were outmatched in every regard and given who they played against it’s not saying much.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nothing wrong with what he said, honestly. They were the better team at 5v5. They were significantly more restrained when it came to penalties unless the game was out of reach. And they were incredibly lucky that Nurse had to sit the same amount as Pietro.

We need to get better at 5v5 next year. We need to take fewer penalties when they impact the flow of the game. Less hot-headedness.

f*** him though. We don't need to hear that from him. They're going to have a tough time winning games next year after Pietro pays for the slash.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
If one of Hyman, Nuge or Kane showed up the series would have been different but for whatever reason they vanished.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The Oilers consistently outshot and outchanced Vegas in that series at 5v5 and absolutely dominated the special teams.

Vegas got a .933 sv% at 5v5.
Oilers got an .879.

That's it. That's the difference.
If we face Vegas with the same team next postseason the Oilers will get dummied again.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
The Oilers consistently outshot and outchanced Vegas in that series at 5v5 and absolutely dominated the special teams.

Vegas got a .933 sv% at 5v5.
Oilers got an .879.

That's it. That's the difference.
They lost it because of bad coaching decisions and doubling down on those decisions. Oilers were the better team. Game 6 goaltending decision when the game was hanging in the balance was the ultimate fail.

If we face Vegas with the same team next postseason the Oilers will get dummied again.
No. If the Oilers use a better system like identifying which goaltender to play, they will be fine. However they need to improve goaltending and defense period.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If they have the same goalies in net? Probably yeah.

They lost it because of bad coaching decisions and doubling down on those decisions. Oilers were the better team. Game 6 goaltending decision when the game was hanging in the balance was the ultimate fail.

That assumes Campbell was a viable option. He proved across an entire season he wasn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad