Confirmed with Link: (March 6, 2015) Jeff Reese no longer the Flyers goalie coach

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I'm laughing at the Samson hair comment.

Also, that "Mason(s)" can be made out of Samson.

I agree. I doubt he'd go anywhere when his career bounced back here. Goaltenders are superstitious as hell and a change of scenery could be for the worse.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
It's funny how Seravalli's word becomes gospel when it fits with a popular narrative.

In this case, it's pretty clear Reese didn't want to leave, but had to speak up and it cost him his job.

I would not be entirely surprised to see him come back as soon as we get a real coach in to replace Berube.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It seem more like a "I refuse to work with him so I'm leaving" type of situation than a situation where he spoke up and got fired because of it.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Mason isn't going anywhere would be stupid of him to do that you finally establish yourself as #1 Goalie of a team and then you go somewhere else just for a chance.
I'd rather play for edmonton than for an org that gambles w/ my health.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd rather play for edmonton than for an org that gambles w/ my health.

So dramatic.

You realize he didn't have a stroke the day before, right? :laugh:

He had knee surgery, was recovering, got cleared to play, but he said he would've liked to have more practice and time to get his legs back. He shouldn't have been put in the game for no reason, but the way you're acting you'd think he was paralyzed and then forced to play.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
It seem more like a "I refuse to work with him so I'm leaving" type of situation than a situation where he spoke up and got fired because of it.

Reese was ticked at Berube for using Mason, right after surgery with no practice time, in a game in which Mason agreed to help the team out of a cap jam (that would have meant waiving and possibly losing Colaiacovo - which Hexy didn't want to do because he knew he was dealing Coburn and probably Grossmann if he didn't get hurt vs. Rangers).

Berube pulled Zepp for Mason after letting in two breakaway goals. It wasn't like Zepp was crapping the bed.

I can see Reese livid, telling Hexy that Berube is an idiot for risking Mason's health (again), and Hexy saying, 'well, if you don't want to work here, there's the door, here's your package, OK?' It was mutual in that Reese didn't want to stay, and Hexy didn't want him to.

At any rate, it was a stupid situation and all on Berube for his lack of any common sense. The sooner he's gone, the better.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I think it is important to establish what the situation actually was.

a) Mason needed another practice or so in order for him to be able to play in a manner that would be up to his standards and allow the Flyers a better chance to win.

or

b) Mason needed another practice or so in order for him to be able to play without causing any more damage to his knee.

As it turned out, Mason played and played well... and apparently he didn't do any more perceivable damage to his knee.

Obviously situation b would be a more dangerous situation to the both the player and the Organization than a would have been... a could have merely meant losing a Game or so, which they lost anyway, while b could have meant that their Franchise Goalie would be either seriously harmed for the long haul or at least for a shorter period causing a setback.

In the end all was well that ended well... except if you are a coach who differs in ideology with the Organization... in which case a separation of ways was indeed called for and done.

... Being that Mason was not hurt I see no problem going forward as the Flyers can and will hire a new Goalie Coach who will be of Hextall's choosing... Unless it is their willingness to deal with a case b... if case b was in fact a real case... and the future of their Goalie is in danger.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
... Being that Mason was not hurt I see no problem going forward as the Flyers can and will hire a new Goalie Coach who will be of Hextall's choosing...

Hopefully there will be a clean sweep of all coaches! How does one of the top PK's go to one of the worst in one season!!??

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I love how so many people have already drawn conclusions on what exactly happen to suit their narrative without knowing anything that actually happened. This whole season certainly has caused a lot of discord around here.

Last edited:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I love how so many people have already drawn conclusions on what exactly happen to suit their narrative without knowing anything that actually happened.

1836399007_eb7079038a_z.jpg

no it is pretty apparent what happened. There was an article about it and the evidence is in the Toronto game. I know it may be difficult to believe but things are not always rosy and perfect with Snider on down.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I guess I don't consider Frank S. to be that credible of a writer. Who knows if this was just the tipping point? Was Hextall pretty unhappy with his body of work? Did Hextall already have someone in mind for the position next year and is just starting to clean house?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I guess I don't consider Frank S. to be that credible of a writer. Who knows if this was just the tipping point? Was Hextall pretty unhappy with his body of work? Did Hextall already have someone in mind for the position next year and is just starting to clean house?

I doubt Hextall was unhappy with him. He turned Mason around and turned him into the goalie this team was looking for, for how long? That whole mess up in Toronto could of been easily avoided. But it was compounded by stupidity on many levels.
I do agree with Striiker. Maybe Reese could no longer work with the idiot head coach the Flyers employ anymore. Mason isn't happy with the situation and I wonder who else in that room feels the same way.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I guess we shall wait and see. If Hextall doesn't retain Berube (hope not) and rehires Reese then it was certainly right to say that Reese and Berube were at odds. I definitely agree with everyone that it sucks for Mason since he has really turned his game around.

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
In the world of business, the low man always loses, even when he's correct.

Berube's goals are all short term - he has to win now and every decision he makes has no concern beyond the end of this season. He's trying to save his job. Hextall, on the other hand, should only be focused on long term goals. Playing Mason now, is obviously mortgaging the future for any short term gain. Why does Hextall allow it? There could be any number of reasons. He's not willing to replace Berube right now. Maybe they are good friends? Maybe he's afraid of scaring off any high end coaching talent?

Maybe the crazy thing is that Reese went over Berube's head to Hextall only to find out that Mason's mishandling came down from the GM office? Maybe Hextall confided to Reese that yes, you are 100% correct, but I can't fire Berube until the end of the season. So someone has to go and it was the easier choice to send Reese packing.

There's no reason to think that pro sports are any different than corporations and they way they handle human resources. I would be surprised if Reese came back to the organization. Companies will never admit mistakes.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I doubt they bring Reese back regardless of Berubes fate. Bringing back an insubordination employee sends a bad message whether he was right or not.

Pinatch just confirmed on Philly Sports Talk that Mason told him he was physically healthy to play in the TOR game but would have like another game off to be mentally prepared but he had no problem going in.

Recap
Mason was not put into the TOR game while he was still injured.
Evil Ed Snider didn't try to end Masons career.
Berube has another year left on his contract, unfortunately.
Berube is still a bad coach.

Close thread

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Berube only has this year left on his contract. So, a month and two days worth of games.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Recap
Mason was not put into the TOR game while he was still injured.
Evil Ed Snider didn't try to end Masons career.

Close thread

none of that matters - if Mason was told that day he would not play unless Zepp sustained serious injury, there still is a big problem.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
none of that matters - if Mason was told that day he would not play unless Zepp sustained serious injury, there still is a big problem.

It's a small problem that is being turned into a big drama. It is no different the a baseball manager telling his short stop he can have a day off then using him to pinch hit and keeping him in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad