Confirmed with Link: (March 6, 2015) Jeff Reese no longer the Flyers goalie coach

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
I'm nervous of him coming back , but I don't beleive there are too many coaches that finish their last year without an extension .

If they wanted him back, he would already have been resigned. No doubt he's being let go from the head coach position. It doesn't make sense to keep him, players don't like him, coaches don't like him, and fans don't like him. Combine that with the lack of success and decrease in production from almost every player on the team...you have your answer. He is NOT the answer.

It also relates to Babcock's situation. If Babcock wanted to stay in Detriot, why would he not sign an extension now? Sure, he's in no rush, but it's definitely a distraction hes putting up with for a reason. Having said that, IDK if he would want to come here.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
According to Pinatch, Berube has one more season. He took over for Lavy and the Flyers extended him two years beyond that season. I don't think it really matters though. Berube isn't making so much money that they wouldn't fire him because of money if they had a better option.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
According to Pinatch, Berube has one more season. He took over for Lavy and the Flyers extended him two years beyond that season. I don't think it really matters though. Berube isn't making so much money that they wouldn't fire him because of money if they had a better option.

You tell him to shut his filthy mouth

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
It's a small problem that is being turned into a big drama. It is no different the a baseball manager telling his short stop he can have a day off then using him to pinch hit and keeping him in.

it's not different if:

the short stop was coming off injury.
the short stop was told that day he would not play unless the starting SS sustained serious injury.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
it's not different if:

the short stop was coming off injury.
the short stop was told that day he would not play unless the starting SS sustained serious injury.

The mechanics of going in to play doesn't change regardless of whether it's because of bad goalie play or injury. Mason was healthy enough to play.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
The mechanics of going in to play doesn't change regardless of whether it's because of bad goalie play or injury.

correct.

the mechanics DO change because:

Mason was coming off injury.
Mason was told that day he would not play unless the starter sustained serious injury. {apparently}

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How about Boucher as goalie coach? Seems like a cerebral fellow that knows the game and the position.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
How about Boucher as goalie coach? Seems like a cerebral fellow that knows the game and the position.

How about we rehire the guy who was doing a phenomenal job with the best goalie we've had since Cechmanek. The guy who was soley responsible for the organization even going after him in the first place.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How about we rehire the guy who was doing a phenomenal job with the best goalie we've had since Cechmanek. The guy who was soley responsible for the organization even going after him in the first place.

Absolutely on board with this..it's just not common to rehire someone you just fired.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think Reese's problem was just with Berube so I don't think he'll be back anytime soon.

I doubt Boucher would even be candidate given he has zero background in regards to coaching (at least a high level).

Neil Little who's currently filling in for Reese since his departure could potentially be a choice. He's been coaching goaltender's as well as scouting them for years now whether it be with the Phantoms or with Princeton University.

R3M1N1SC3

Feb 19, 2012
Why is everybody so upset about Reese leaving? Our goalie situation has been crap for the past 20 yrs. What has Jeff Reese done for our goalie situation that is so great?

Mason was a good goalie in Columbus - he just played for a terrible team. I think there comes a point (especially for a goalie) where you throw in the towel after you realize that:

1) Management isn't doing anything to make the team better
2) You get no help from your teammates

I think that even if Brian Boucher was a goalie coach this year that Mason still would have had a solid year.

And please for the love of God, keep any ex-Flyers away from coaching positions. We need a fresh breath of air into this team. I thought they fired Lavy too fast. His style was perfect for this team and we were literally a solid goalie and a defenseman from having a legitimate shot with him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Reese and his "hey, play deeper in the crease" strategy were a joke for a bit. But he has hit a homerun with Mason.

I hope he is brought back. The two obviously work well together.

I also predict that Emery will be an excellent coach one day.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Reese and his "hey, play deeper in the crease" strategy were a joke for a bit. But he has hit a homerun with Mason.

I hope he is brought back. The two obviously work well together.

I also predict that Emery will be an excellent coach one day.

About half way through the last calendar year i adopted the deep in the crease technique and it has also worked wonders for me.

If you have the right combination of size and speed, its a great way to play behind defenses susceptible to cross ice passes.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
About half way through the last calendar year i adopted the deep in the crease technique and it has also worked wonders for me.

If you have the right combination of size and speed, its a great way to play behind defenses susceptible to cross ice passes.

Just curious... not ever playing Goal myself... I've always knew that coming out cuts down the angle for the shooter and allows the Goalie a better chance, but assume that in the case of a pass to the other side it puts the Goalie at a disadvantage... thus only coming out when warranted and when you won't get caught. That said, how does the deep in the crease technique work in relation to the coming out one... and assuming it is merely a matter of staying back and covering as much actual net -- as opposed to possible angled net -- as possible... when having the speed to be able to go side to side quickly enough? Or are you saying that you now play back in the net and quickly come out as needed, as opposed to playing out from the get-go and only going back if called for?... I think I talked myself into my own answer there... is that pretty much the gist of it?

I find it interesting that while Reese helped him with staying back, Mason found out during this Season that by coming out more in the end of Game Skills Competition -- Officially known as the ShootOut -- he is better able to stop the puck... however that only seemed to be the case for a while and recently Mason has not been as sharp... as in the case last week where he was hot in a ShutOut but a sieve in the Skills Competition. IIRC Reese was gone by then... but that may have just been a coincidence, I suppose. As I said, I'm not too versed in this, so please keep that in mind. haha

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Shootout is different because you're facing one guy. You can come out a bit more.

If your defense allows a lot of cross the box or east / west passing, then playing back allows you to go post to post easier.

If your defense is more reliable, then you can come out more because you fear the pass less and can play the shooter.

Flyer's defense is bad.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Shootout is different because you're facing one guy. You can come out a bit more.

If your defense allows a lot of cross the box or east / west passing, then playing back allows you to go post to post easier.

If your defense is more reliable, then you can come out more because you fear the pass less and can play the shooter.

Flyer's defense is bad.

All makes perfect sense... thanks.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I play deep in my crease because I'm a big and athletic goalie.

My biggest comparable is Bobrovsky. I'm 6'3" and 185 pounds.

In staying deep, I'm big enough to still take up net, fast enough to still get corner shots.

Here's where i noticed a difference:

I tend to give up rebounds, playing deep in my crease makes it easier to not have a wide open net when that happens. I'm also impossible to pass around because I'm deeper, flexible and fast.

Now, i don't know if that's why Reese preached it, but it was an incredible change for me. I've never been a technical goalie, and got exposed a lot. I felt like playing deep made it so i hardly ever got exposed for my shortcomings

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I play deep in my crease because I'm a big and athletic goalie.

My biggest comparable is Bobrovsky. I'm 6'3" and 185 pounds.

In staying deep, I'm big enough to still take up net, fast enough to still get corner shots.

Here's where i noticed a difference:

I tend to give up rebounds, playing deep in my crease makes it easier to not have a wide open net when that happens. I'm also impossible to pass around because I'm deeper, flexible and fast.

Now, i don't know if that's why Reese preached it, but it was an incredible change for me. I've never been a technical goalie, and got exposed a lot. I felt like playing deep made it so i hardly ever got exposed for my shortcomings

Ahh, I see... I suppose a lot depends on the Goalie and, as said before, on the Team in front of him... Thanks.

I imagine that a Goalie cannot actually 'see' how he's playing and what he could be doing different... even if filmed, really... and needs a good coach or mentor to guide him through adjustments and tweaks or changes to his style. It seems that Mason trusted and worked well with Reese... that is not to say that he couldn't also with another coach, if the correct one was selected -- Bernie was a coach early on with the Flyers but didn't stay long... my belief is that while he was a great coach, he wasn't able to translate that to coaching, but it could merely be that he didn't want to continue, I suppose -- I believe that being a great Player and being a great Coach does not always go hand in hand.

My thinking is that if Neil Little were right for the job he would have been utilized at the NHL level by one Organization or another by now... If Jeff and the Flyers do not re-unite -- and I'm not 100% convinced that it wasn't as much Reese's decision rather than the Flyers' one or any ultimatum -- I'd rather have the Team take it's time and get the right fit... The same goes for Head Coach.

JMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad