March 2019 Draft Rankings - Top 31 - Thoughts?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
March 2019 Draft Rankings

1. Kakko
2. Hughes
3. Turcotte
4. Dach
5. Byram
6. Krebs
7. Zegras
8. Cozens
9. Podkolzin
10. Boldy
11. York
12. McMichael
13. Lavoie
14. Dorofeyev
15. Kaliyev
16. Newhook
17. Pelletier
18. Soderstrom
19. Tomasino
20.Heinola
21. Broberg
22. Suzuki
23. Caufield
24. Hoglander
25. Sieder
26. N. Robertson
27. M. Robertson
28. Leason
29. Harley
30. Brink
31. Foote

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterEggum32

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
In response to the list, I like it for the most part. Although I would put Tomasino in the 1st round, in the late teens, early 20s region.

Last edited by a moderator:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Samuel Poulin is better than the forwards you have listed from 11-31. You don't get excellent skill + good size/skating + strong hockey sense in the 2nd round. The 2nd round prospects have flaws and warts in their games, Poulin isn't perfect, but he's on track to be a top 6 NHLer.

Dube and Comtois were drafted in the 2nd round for who knows what reason, but those guys are sure bet NHLers that checked all the boxes in their draft year.

A lot of guys are still being projected like it is August in 2018. A whole season has been played and I don't see York, Newhook, and Broberg as highly as you. Harley is the 2nd best D-man in the draft, he's a future minute muncher on the top pairing for me. I stay away from lazy players who possess a ton of skill like Newhook. Broberg once again below Harley for me. He's an exciting junior player because he's so big and fast, but I don't think his game will translate as smoothly as people think. I don't think he can make high IQ decisions with the puck that I would expect from a 1st rounder.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Good list IMO, but Seider at 25 seems low to me. I would think to have him in the Top 20 at least, dude looks to be a very good defensive d-man. Though I am guessing based on the list your pretty high on a lot of the forwards in this draft compared to the defenseman.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Samuel Poulin is better than the forwards you have listed from 11-31. You don't get excellent skill + good size/skating + strong hockey sense in the 2nd round. The 2nd round prospects have flaws and warts in their games, Poulin isn't perfect, but he's on track to be a top 6 NHLer.

Dube and Comtois were drafted in the 2nd round for who knows what reason, but those guys are sure bet NHLers that checked all the boxes in their draft year.

A lot of guys are still being projected like it is August in 2018. A whole season has been played and I don't see York, Newhook, and Broberg as highly as you. Harley is the 2nd best D-man in the draft, he's a future minute muncher on the top pairing for me. I stay away from lazy players who possess a ton of skill like Newhook. Broberg once again below Harley for me. He's an exciting junior player because he's so big and fast, but I don't think his game will translate as smoothly as people think. I don't think he can make high IQ decisions with the puck that I would expect from a 1st rounder.
It's first time i heard Newhook was lazy.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Good list IMO, but Seider at 25 seems low to me. I would think to have him in the Top 20 at least, dude looks to be a very good defensive d-man. Though I am guessing based on the list your pretty high on a lot of the forwards in this draft compared to the defenseman.
Honestly I have a hard time grouping together players from different positions. I think my list might be a bit biased towards forwards since the Oilers need to draft one badly.

I prefer ranking forwards and defensemen separately.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

If anything is lazy, it's an unsubstantiated opinion.

Could think of lots of negative things to say about Newhook's game, but laziness...would not be one of them.

Source: have watched him ~50 times over the last 4 years...

ijuka

May 14, 2016
But in general having a ton of skill while being lazy could just require the player turning it around in NHL. Take Kasperi Kapanen as an example, he was highly talented but very lazy with a poor attitude. Then he turned it around and now he's a very hard worker, and a top 6 player for a contender. I certainly would bet on that much rather than on a player who has "grit", "leadership", "intangibles" and such with limited skill.

Same on Kaliyev. Changing one's attitude can happen but suddenly becoming skilled at this age isn't so easy.

Oh yeah, same thing about "compete level". Just about every male is competitive, it's programmed in to their nature. It's not something to look for IMO.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Maybe lazy is the wrong word, but Newhook just seems to not be hungry enough for a center. I don't think he battles hard enough or skates hard enough when there's a chance to get the puck back. In the NHL, it's high paced because everybody is attacking the puck and pressuring.

Newhook needs to have the same excitement without the puck that he has with the puck.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Maybe lazy is the wrong word, but Newhook just seems to not be hungry enough for a center. I don't think he battles hard enough or skates hard enough when there's a chance to get the puck back. In the NHL, it's high paced because everybody is attacking the puck and pressuring.

Newhook needs to have the same excitement without the puck that he has with the puck.
But does he? Patrick Kane doesn't have the same excitement without the puck that he has with the puck and he's a pretty good player.

Maybe he won't be a C, who knows. I don't think that's so important at that point. You want to pick guys who'll just make the NHL and do well in that range.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
But does he? Patrick Kane doesn't have the same excitement without the puck that he has with the puck and he's a pretty good player.

Maybe he won't be a C, who knows. I don't think that's so important at that point. You want to pick guys who'll just make the NHL and do well in that range.
If you're going to be an effective center at the NHL level, yes. Kane is not very good on his team's side of the redline, so it makes sense that he would be on the wing. When Quenville tried him at C, he wasn't anywhere near as effective as when he was a wing and could pretty much just focus on offense.

S.S. Giggy

RIP 1974-2011
Jun 14, 2002
Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Visit site

Speaking only for Comtois, I know that he was projected to go late in the 1st round prior to his injury. I think less-than spectacular production in his 1st year was how he fell.

2017 NHL Draft prospect profile: Maxime Comtois is an intriguing power forward prospect

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i'll be happy if my wild can pick either kaliyev or newhook. pelletier would not be a bad consolation prize. guessing my wild pick 14th but who knows.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I feel like there is a higher chance of Knight going in the top 15 than not in the 1st at all this year and while I would have some people differently its not too bad. This years draft is extra fluid so there are a lot of ranges where guys could really go in any order.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I don't know about Poulin but the likes of Dach and Cozens are rated way too high. Dach is soft for a big man and I'm not convinced he'd be a top 6 forward. Cozens puts up points but he skates like he's in quicksand. LA Kings please stay the hell away from these two please!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad