Marcel Dionne vs Peter Stastny

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
You know whats pretty funny, Thomas Gradin had better playoff numbers than Dionne, damn thats just pathetic. The 80s canucks were far from a stacked team, yet Gradin outperformed Dionne in the playoffs.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
By "Watered down" he basically means players scored less points, even though they would be the same or better if adjusted to era.

That's all it really boils down to for Ushvinder. All he does is insult older players in favor of newer players.

And Ush, Just stop with the "If Dionne played when he would have a cup". Dionne might indeed have a cup if he had played in the original 6 era, but he would still have been a complete playoff no show, and not a key player in the cup wins. He took it down a notch at crunch time when others took it up.

People fault his lousy effort playoff performance, not his lack of a cup. Few could win a cup with the supporting cast he had.

Marcel's poor performance in the playoffs is being way overstated once again.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site

Just curious, do you buy into the notion of some guys just being 'good bad team players'. I always felt that way about Dinonne and reading some of the work done on this board has me wondering about some vague opinions I'd had over the years.

Dionne played some effective hockey in int'l tournaments but he always seemed complimentary, never dominant.

I've read posts believing that if Detroit had selected Lafleur and Mtl ended up with Dionne, we'd be describing them differently today. Probably true to an extent, but I don't know, I always felt there was a gear missing with him despite his talent.

Stonefly

Jan 29, 2007
Just curious, do you buy into the notion of some guys just being 'good bad team players'. I always felt that way about Dinonne and reading some of the work done on this board has me wondering about some vague opinions I'd had over the years.

Dionne played some effective hockey in int'l tournaments but he always seemed complimentary, never dominant.

I've read posts believing that if Detroit had selected Lafleur and Mtl ended up with Dionne, we'd be describing them differently today. Probably true to an extent, but I don't know, I always felt there was a gear missing with him despite his talent.
I felt the same way. In fact in 76 I actually thought he was terrible. He just couldn't get it together. His passing was off and he was giving away the puck a lot.
I agree with your last paragraph as well. I have never been able to put my finger on it but it always seemed his performances didn't add up to his stats. Not sure how that can be but that's how it always felt to me.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I felt the same way. In fact in 76 I actually thought he was terrible. He just couldn't get it together. His passing was off and he was giving away the puck a lot.
I agree with your last paragraph as well. I have never been able to put my finger on it but it always seemed his performances didn't add up to his stats. Not sure how that can be but that's how it always felt to me.

He tended to be shifted to the wing if I remember correctly. He probably got caught playing off the boards more than he was used to. On the positive side, he was able to swallow his ego in those situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad