Larry Brooks: Marc Staal wants to stay in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
And yet, pre King series, this entire board was lauding him as one of the top defensemen in the league.

He did not look great against the Kings. No one on the Rangers did. The size difference showed up. There are many things that could have been done (if they were capable of doing it) that would have made it for an easier time for the defenseman.

He is a better player than Girardi. He will fetch top pairing defenseman prices because he is exactly that. A poor preseason game does not doom him to mediocrity. These type of defensemen do not grow on trees. They are worth more because they are scarce.

And with the way the UFA market is shaping up he will get a lot more than 6M per out there.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
McDonagh looked good against the Kings. Staal actually started struggling in the series before that against Montreal. I also dont' think it really has much to do with any size differences, but that's an argument for another thread.

Still, you run into the problem where Staal is a pretty good player so replacing him right away might be tough, but on the other hand is he worth a big long term contract? He's a guy who's not going to put up much offense on a team that already has a blueline that doesn't put up much offense (and that's probably the main reason why they let Stralman walk) and he has struggled with consistency issues

Yup. Move him for value or sign him to a team-friendly deal, one or the other. Either way, do it soon - don't wait until the deadline.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
McDonagh looked good against the Kings. Staal actually started struggling in the series before that against Montreal. I also dont' think it really has much to do with any size differences, but that's an argument for another thread.

Still, you run into the problem where Staal is a pretty good player so replacing him right away might be tough, but on the other hand is he worth a big long term contract? He's a guy who's not going to put up much offense on a team that already has a blueline that doesn't put up much offense (and that's probably the main reason why they let Stralman walk) and he has struggled with consistency issues

Yeah this. Staal was bad against Montreal. Thing is, right now, is he really better than Girardi? Potentially yes, but every game? Girardi has been much more reliable, and even with a banged up McD he was OK in the first two rounds of the playoffs.

If we sign Staal to a heavy and long contract, we will have some 17M+ tied up on our top 3 for many years. Will Staal really be worth 6M in five years?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Mcdonagh's contract is such a good one, that it allows us to pay both Girardi and Staal IMO..

You let Staal go then what?. You replace him with someone not as good for around the same amount because the market for dmen is horrible on the UFA market.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Mcdonagh's contract is such a good one, that it allows us to pay both Girardi and Staal IMO..

You let Staal go then what?. You replace him with someone not as good for around the same amount because the market for dmen is horrible on the UFA market.

Who said anything about going the free agent route? The name you are looking for is Brady Skjei.

83lastUsee

CmotherfnK
Jun 27, 2011
Huntington , Ny
Need to sign him. To me he is a homegrown elder on this young team and he is only 27. He could be considered a candidate for the C ( I want Mcd) To me he is better than girardi and I thought he was better than him against the kings.
With all the young depth in at foward I don't want to break up our top 3 d .Those 3 with hank are our homegrown vets. I want Mcd,Staal & Girardi to stay together as long as possible. With hank we have been in the finals and the ECF 2 out of 3 yrs with an average O and a , lets face it a below average Pp.
Our top 3 d with hank IS the strongest part of this team and has been , sign him and let those 4 play together as long as possible.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
doubt that happens, he will get at least a limited one if we sign him.

A limited one would be ok, but they have to be able to move him, thats the only way he can get a new deal. Cant afford to tie up so many defensemen long term with big deals.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
10/2/14 | 8:20PM: Staal was asked about not letting the contract impact his play and said, “you have to wait and see but as far as my mindset and where I am to start camp, it hasn’t changed from any other year. I am excited to start playing games and doing what I can do to help us win games. That stuff will take care of itself. (Rangers training camp show)

Sam Rosen says that he doesn’t think the two sides are far apart, there is no animosity and that a deal should get done. He says that Staal wants to stay and is a quiet leader in the room. (Rangers training camp show)

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
10/2/14 | 8:20PM: Staal was asked about not letting the contract impact his play and said, “you have to wait and see but as far as my mindset and where I am to start camp, it hasn’t changed from any other year. I am excited to start playing games and doing what I can do to help us win games. That stuff will take care of itself. (Rangers training camp show)

Sam Rosen says that he doesn’t think the two sides are far apart, there is no animosity and that a deal should get done. He says that Staal wants to stay and is a quiet leader in the room. (Rangers training camp show)

6 years at 5.5 with NTC expiring after first two years.

No more than 6 years at 5.75.

Still think we'll regret the new contract when he suffers another concussion, misses 50 games, and becomes even more inconsistent.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

Still think we'll regret the new contract when he suffers another concussion, misses 50 games, and becomes even more inconsistent.

I would like this very much.

anyone can suffer a concussion though, the guy has proven to be healthy as far as that goes, the eye injury was nothing but **** luck, that's not something you can avoid. He played 97 games last year including the playoffs..

zuckera1

Mar 3, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would like this very much.

anyone can suffer a concussion though, the guy has proven to be healthy as far as that goes, the eye injury was nothing but **** luck, that's not something you can avoid. He played 97 games last year including the playoffs..

Can't dispute the facts.

However I will say that, IMO, his declining foot speed and inability to handle the puck was exposed at times during the season and in the final two rounds versus LA and Montreal. I also believe Stralman carried the pairing, and that Staal won't look good this year paired with Boyle.

On our team with our cap structure, we could do much more with that 5.5-6 million for 6-7 years than paying an aging Staal that amount to play LD on our second pair.

Staal is NOT the player he once was and, unfortunately, likely never will be.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
What it comes down to, is who is replacing him?.. It's not Connor Allen, it's not John Moore.. is it Brady? and when will we find that out?.. He's at least a year and a half away, maybe 2 or more if he decides to stay for this 4th year if he fails to conquer his goal of winning there.

which is why I like your idea of the NTC expiring after year 2 or 3, by then Brady might be ready to take that spot.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't see how they can replace him this season at all. And I really, really don't see how they could replace him and play without Step to start the season.

If they trade him and somehow get someone to play his minutes, it's going to have to be after Stepan returns I'd think. I'm not sure they'd risk start off the season in such a hobbled kind of way.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
at least 1. maybe 2 years down the road...

in the meantime, who do we play til then?

What it comes down to, is who is replacing him?.. It's not Connor Allen, it's not John Moore.. is it Brady? and when will we find that out?.. He's at least a year and a half away, maybe 2 or more if he decides to stay for this 4th year if he fails to conquer his goal of winning there.

which is why I like your idea of the NTC expiring after year 2 or 3, by then Brady might be ready to take that spot.

We have Staal for this year. The Rangers think Skjei's at the very least Hartford ready right now. Add this season's development time and he should be ready to step in. I would much rather go to a stopgap if necessary next year than give Staal a massive deal. His play is headed in the wrong direction and the injuries keep piling up.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
We have Staal for this year. The Rangers think Skjei's at the very least Hartford ready right now. Add this season's development time and he should be ready to step in. I would much rather go to a stopgap if necessary next year than give Staal a massive deal. His play is headed in the wrong direction and the injuries keep piling up.

we can disagree on his level of play, but again, the fact is he played 97 games last year, the injuries are behind him, he's been healthy ever since his last concussion, one freak accident on a deflected puck doesn't make a player injury prone.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
we can disagree on his level of play, but again, the fact is he played 97 games last year, the injuries are behind him, he's been healthy ever since his last concussion, one freak accident on a deflected puck doesn't make a player injury prone.

He was on the ice, but the effects of the injuries are still there. That permanently dilated eye has him constantly fumbling the puck.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

Absolutely this. AND, even though he obviously isn't the Marc that he used to be, he's still one of the best and will still be worth the 6mil.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT

Yea thats the other concern, if you are able to move him, will he stay healthy enough and have solid enough play that someone will want to trade for him.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Yea thats the other concern, if you are able to move him, will he stay healthy enough and have solid enough play that someone will want to trade for him.

the guy is a #1D on about 24 other teams in the NHL...

I Think you'll be able to move him at that contract, especially when you consider in FA he would get a big overpayment from a stupid GM (something around $6.5M)

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not just right away, but in general. Replacing a top flight defenseman is very, very hard.

Offensive numbers are not what I am looking from him. One need not make top pairing dollars based on offensive production.

To me, if there is a budget crunch, trade Girardi. There will be takers and my view on him is that he is going to depreciate rather quickly.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
the guy is a #1D on about 24 other teams in the NHL...

I Think you'll be able to move him at that contract, especially when you consider in FA he would get a big overpayment from a stupid GM (something around $6.5M)

This myth needs to stop. Staal's not anywhere close that good. Just off the top of my head, do you think he's better than these guys?

Subban
Doughty
Vlasic
Karlsson
Chara
Pietrangelo
Keith
Weber
Hedman
Ekman-Larsson
Suter

Status