Value of: Marc Staal to TOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
He was one of the names recently brought up as being on Dubas' radar.

What would DET take for him?

Would they eat half his salary?

What is in Dubas' head on this one (if it's at all true)?

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
He was one of the names recently brought up as being on Dubas' radar.

What would DET take for him?

Would they eat half his salary?

What is in Dubas' head on this one (if it's at all true)?

I would think Detroit would eat salary since they ate his salary in return for a 2nd from NYR.

I'd think maybe a 3rd retained or a 4th not retained if I was going to guess. He's really just added depth who may or may not see the ice in the playoffs (not too informed about TML 3rd pair).

In that scenario Detroit picks up a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th for just money. It's a pretty savvy move.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I'm skeptical but perhaps with some extra retention by a third party (for a price) he could be an option....?

Odd target for sure though

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Agreed. I can see that, but isn't his salary at $5.7? That is a lot of scratch to have him playing bottom pair. Hard to imagine working it out so he can fit on TOR's cap.

It's not 5.7 at this point since it's pro-rated and Detroit could likely retain or take back an expiring deal if TML have one to dump.

I personally wouldn't go after Staal if I were TML, but he's big and experienced and teams seem to overvalue that at times when pushing into the playoffs.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm skeptical but perhaps with some extra retention by a third party (for a price) he could be an option....?

Odd target for sure though

This is a good point. A $2.85 mil cap hit is a lot for Staal, even pro-rated. So many teams are in LTIR. Get that down to ~$1.42 mil and he has value there.

Streit max retention was worth a 4th a few years ago. Retention on Lehner to facilitate the trade to Vegas at the deadline last year was worth a 5th to Toronto as a middleman. Something like that.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
This is a good point. A $2.85 mil cap hit is a lot for Staal, even pro-rated. So many teams are in LTIR. Get that down to ~$1.42 mil and he has value there.

Streit max retention was worth a 4th a few years ago. Retention on Lehner to facilitate the trade to Vegas at the deadline last year was worth a 5th to Toronto as a middleman. Something like that.

Yeah, exactly. Some team may be willing to retain some salary to buy a pick, especially given Staal's actual dollars are much lower than his cap hit (and it's an expiring contract, of course)

See what happens, I guess

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Weren’t Rangers fans calling Staal useless for several years before this?
Even 50% retained what is he- still an overpaid depth player long past his expiry date ?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Carolina should look at trading Gardiner + pick for Marc Staal with retention. They grab an expiring veteran D and get out of the last 2 years of Gardiner’s deal. Red wings get a pick and either Gardiner plays in the top 6 which is more likely verses playing on Carolina D core or ends up on LTIR if his back issues don’t improve.

I don’t think a capped out Toronto should be looking at Staal. Who’s expendable enough with remaining cap to make that work? I don’t see it

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Carolina should look at trading Gardiner + pick for Marc Staal with retention. They grab an expiring veteran D and get out of the last 2 years of Gardiner’s deal. Red wings get a pick and either Gardiner plays in the top 6 which is more likely verses playing on Carolina D core or ends up on LTIR if his back issues don’t improve.

I don’t think a capped out Toronto should be looking at Staal. Who’s expendable enough with remaining cap to make that work? I don’t see it

I think you wouldn't like the pick(s) involved, 6M costs a 1st so 9M would cost a 1st and 3rd or 2 2nds and a 4th

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Staal is terrible now, is he not? Unless he's had a resurgence with the Red Wings, he's awful.

Plus, he seems like a poor fit for Toronto's bottom pairing. Part of why Bogosian's looked solid is because he's paired with a guy who can skate and move the puck in Dermott. Putting Bogosian with a bad puck mover and sluggish skater in Staal seems ... dubious.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
How would toronto get him? Or eckholm? Or whomever?dont they have like no cap space left? Only player with money i see is kerfoot but hes got 3 yrs attached so doubt anyone takes him unless leafs pay a big price

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
How would toronto get him? Or eckholm? Or whomever?dont they have like no cap space left? Only player with money i see is kerfoot but hes got 3 yrs attached so doubt anyone takes him unless leafs pay a big price

Why are you talking like he is a cap dump? He's been a fine top 9 player for us.. And he has 2 years left after this one.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
Why are you talking like he is a cap dump? He's been a fine top 9 player for us.. And he has 2 years left after this one.
He fills his role well. I feel like a lot of the hate stems from the fact he’s not Kadri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad