Marc Bergevin: Wake Me Up Before You Go Go! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
The biggest problem is he didn't improve the team in any significant way...one can argue which individual pieces are better/worse, compared to last year, but overall...

The team that will be starting the season this October, is not any better than the team that got eliminated last April.

The ONLY saving grace he has, the only card he has left to use, IS his capspace...and even then, it wasn't done intentionally, more as a result of him not being able to come to an agreement with Markov & Radulov.

The Drouin trade IMO, was a stroke of genius...but I hope he doesn't think that trade was his Magnum Opus.

Still didn't address the center ice of this team. Not even in a secondary upgrade. Now with Weber, Price, and Pacioretty all a year older we are left crossing our fingers that Drouin can be converted into a centerman.

I wonder if they can convert Galchenyuk into a puck moving LD?

Jul 6, 2016
The biggest problem is he didn't improve the team in any significant way...one can argue which individual pieces are better/worse, compared to last year, but overall...

The team that will be starting the season this October, is not any better than the team that got eliminated last April.

The ONLY saving grace he has, the only card he has left to use, IS his capspace...and even then, it wasn't done intentionally, more as a result of him not being able to come to an agreement with Markov & Radulov.

The Drouin trade IMO, was a stroke of genius...but I hope he doesn't think that trade was his Magnum Opus.

Yes and no. I am looking forward to get better production from a healthy Galchy, a healthy Gally, a more experienced Lehkonen, and I think Drouin will get more goals and points than Radulov by a fair margin. Price will be better rested too.

If MB can acquire a top-two d-man to play with Weber - and it can be hard - then they should be, yes, better overall.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
After listening to the Bobby MaC and Bergevin interview my opinions of changed.

I preached patience with cap space. Expect the unexpected has turned into I'm okay with what we got and cap space.

Letting Markov walk because they didn't sync on salary for a 1 year deal and then says the team is better defense?

Then admits he had to sign Price to 10.5M because we saw what happens when he gets injured.

So the guy knows Price is the team, and yet still doesn't improve it instead he spins tires. (Drouin trade aside)

:popcorn:

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
History shows he gave PK Subban 72M...does that indicate to you the actions of someone who doesn't think a player, who at the time was 24yrs old, is a young stud? Nevermind that he made him the highest paid Montreal Canadiens player of all time.

Nah, much better to interpret words he never said as his deep down thoughts.

Don't worry - I get it. Why discuss logic when the alternative is what is currently driving this board.

Actually, Molson had to step in to get Subban Signed, because our ""great"" GM was still trying to undervalue him. :popcorn:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...-subban-contract-which-makes-him-a-good-owner

On topic: The video is CLEAR, I don't know what are you trying to do.

Ding, ding ding. Well played Frappe.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Incorrect. Bob said "pk, Markov, emlin and Beaulieu" right before MB gave his stud answer.

I don't know why I have to keep repeating this FACT.

Use your logic better. He obviously talked about the dmen he didn't bring back from last season. Simple as that.

Now believe what will make you happy.

Jul 6, 2016
Sure we do. Weber is an equally great world-class player at the top of his game, who came at a slightly lower price, didn't have the movement restrictions in the future of his contract, and presented no risk to the Habs long term with all the liability of cap hit leveraged in Nashville's corner. I'm not saying that's the entire list, nor which things mattered more, but we don't have to speculate as to whether or not all those elements were conducive to getting over Subban or Molson "allowing" the trade to happen.

Of course Webert is a world class player. And he proved it again last season. He's not Hal Gill like some around here are pretending.

But It was still and still is a very risky move, hockey wise and marketing wise. Subban was attracting a new generation of kids to hockey. I think is is sometimes a show boat and loves to make smoke shows, but he was and is a "special" person and player.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Expecting Streit to replace Markov on the PP is unrealistic too.

I'm not in ANY way suggesting that Streit can replace Markov....

But didn't Streit have as many if not more PPP than Markov last year?

It's clear that even management doesn't think Streit can replace Markov, hence why they signed him to the fraction of the cost (785K) it would of cost to re-sign Markov (5-6M).

What they're hoping to get out of Streit...is time.

Time to find a more permanent solution.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
McKenzie said he did not want to talk about he subban/weber trade. He was comparing the defense from 2-3 years ago and specifically named them.. Subban, Markov, Petry, Beaulieu, Emelin vs today's current defensive squad. Bergevin goes on to respond that those guys are good defenseman but not stud defenseman like Morgan Reilly in TO. Very interesting considering how Bergevin actually wanted to draft Reilly over Galchenyuk and probably still does today.

Bergevin also says exact words," young stud defenseman you keep those forever"
You can infer from those words that if he viewed Subban and Sergachev as stud defeneman that they would still be habs today.

Bergevin on new NHL - " you move pucks! you move pucks! you move the puck quickly!"

Does this clown actually believe that this new defense is better at moving the puck?

Also if I have to hear one more time how if the Habs make the playoffs anything could happen, I am going to punch someone! Newsflash no it CAN'T! If you're not built to win in the playoffs you're not going to win ****!

I thought this as well, but rewatched the video and came out with a different reason. It sounds as if he differentiates puck carrying d and puck moving d, where puck carriers take the puck out of the zone and up the neutral zone themselves while puck movers get the puck out of their hands and into the forwards as quickly as possibly. I can see a difference between the two but I'm not sure our D are either, TBH.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

It's clear that even management doesn't think Streit can replace Markov, hence why they signed him to the fraction of the cost (785K) it would of cost to re-sign Markov (5-6M).

He should have been looking for the last 3 years while Markov was still playing.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

If that's your understanding of how this is all unfolding, you should stick to NHL18...

They can still do that with Markov, who is a proven commodity unlike Streit(who was not able to be a regular in the Pens squad).

But Maybe he will trade for Duchene/Tavares before the season start :sarcasm:. (He will still need to send salary).

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Is he really this clueless? Man that is a scary thought.

Bobbie Mac interview @ 5:30

http://www.tsn.ca/video/bergevin-knows-canadiens-are-judged-on-playoff-success~1205843

"Lots of team in the NHL that are having success are moving the puck quickly and that's what we're trying to do." Thinks that Schlemko and Benn are those guys and Alzner likely candidate for 1st pairing with Weber.

Weber is like the new $2 hooker on the team. Everyone is going to get a turn. :naughty:

Please delete last part if my joke was too riske. :sarcasm:

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I hope Bobby M interviews Bergevin after training camp as well, so he could get a lot more answers to his questions.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Bobbie Mac interview @ 5:30

http://www.tsn.ca/video/bergevin-knows-canadiens-are-judged-on-playoff-success~1205843

"Lots of team in the NHL that are having success are moving the puck quickly and that's what we're trying to do." Thinks that Schlemko and Benn are those guys and Alzner likely candidate for 1st pairing with Weber.

Weber is like the new $2 hooker on the team. Everyone is going to get a turn. :naughty:

Please delete last part if my joke was too riske. :sarcasm:

You clearly have a hard time understanding what he's saying...

The puck travels faster than players!

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I thought this as well, but rewatched the video and came out with a different reason. It sounds as if he differentiates puck carrying d and puck moving d, where puck carriers take the puck out of the zone and up the neutral zone themselves while puck movers get the puck out of their hands and into the forwards as quickly as possibly. I can see a difference between the two but I'm not sure our D are either, TBH.

Petry , Schlemko and Jerebek can all move the puck. Which means if they all make the team (Petry is a sure bet. Schlemko probably on the bottom pairing. Jerabek wild card for now) there can be a puch moving D on each pairing. Not world class PMD but PMD nonethless. Weber can move the puck as well and so does Streit.

The puck moving situation situation is not as grim as some people make it out to be. It certainly could look better but it could be worse as well

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Still didn't address the center ice of this team. Not even in a secondary upgrade. Now with Weber, Price, and Pacioretty all a year older we are left crossing our fingers that Drouin can be converted into a centerman.

I wonder if they can convert Galchenyuk into a puck moving LD?

May have done so haphardly with the acquisition of Jonathan Drouin...and personally, I don't know why there's so much doubt over his ability to be a center.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes and no. I am looking forward to get better production from a healthy Galchy, a healthy Gally, a more experienced Lehkonen, and I think Drouin will get more goals and points than Radulov by a fair margin. Price will be better rested too.

If MB can acquire a top-two d-man to play with Weber - and it can be hard - then they should be, yes, better overall.

Like I said in the post you quoted - we can look at individual parts and discuss upgrades/downgrades all day long.

To me, in the overall scheme of things, this team is on par with last year...and who knows, maybe that's good enough, maybe just better performances from the players we have returning will be enough to push us over into the ECF.

But I would of rather he made improvements that are significant and tangible.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

Yes, but in order to get the puck going faster, you need players who are able to make accurate and fast passes. I don't know for others but our #1D is too afraid/can't make those. He almost systematically give the puck to his partner. ****ing Emelin had to be the puck distributor.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Petry , Schlemko and Jerebek can all move the puck. Which means if they all make the team (Petry is a sure bet. Schlemko probably on the bottom pairing. Jerabek wild card for now) there can be a puch moving D on each pairing. Not world class PMD but PMD nonethless. Weber can move the puck as well and so does Streit.

The puck moving situation situation is not as grim as some people make it out to be. It certainly could look better but it could be worse as well

I agree on the capability of our D. My personal opinion is that our 6 man group, who may not be confidence-demanding on other teams, in front of Carey Price, is entirely capable and not a detriment.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Oh I understand quite well. Subban and Markov liked to use the stretch pass to players like Paciroetty who liked to cherry pick at the opponents blue line. The forwards will now have to play deeper in our zone. Is there a defenseman currently on the team that can actually make a pass longer than 5 feet?

BOOM HEADSHOT!

Reactions: PhysicX

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

I think you are on to something. What moves the puck quicker a pass or skating it?

A pass of course. If you move the puck quickly its because you are passing it quickly.

remains to be seen if this team can pass the puck quicker. 3 in SAT% 5v5 last season. CJ is a puck posession master and its not like in Boston he had 6 Markovs or PK's out there. CJ will gameplan to keep the puck moving and keep the habs at the top of possession rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad