Player Discussion Marat Khusnutdinov

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Haula was mostly just really fast and a really good skater and that speed allowed him to bother high-end skill players with lots of speed simply because he could skate with them. His speed also allowed him to be a solid transition offense guy, especially on the PK.
He also had natural finishing ability, going back to his Shattuck days and I am sure earlier, he just knew how to bury the puck on his chances. Haula was very good on the breakaway for the Wild, I haven’t watched Khusnutdinov nearly as much but I haven’t seen that same level of finishing yet, Khusnutdinov is more likely to score his goals in tight on tips and rebounds IMO.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Marat seems like a smart kid, it looked like he was really focusing on being part of the system and being responsible , and fair enough for his first game and not even practicing with the team.

But I can see the skills and the want to be confident ... I think once he understands the system he'll be a really good player 2nd/3rd liner. My expectations for his floor has been raised as I see a lot of good elements there.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Marat seems like a smart kid, it looked like he was really focusing on being part of the system and being responsible , and fair enough for his first game and not even practicing with the team.

But I can see the skills and the want to be confident ... I think once he understands the system he'll be a really good player 2nd/3rd liner. My expectations for his floor has been raised as I see a lot of good elements there.
He made confident decisions with the puck, the “F you” attitude Guerin covets is definitely in Marat, noticeable immediately vs a guy like Rossi that still battles with it at times.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
He made confident decisions with the puck, the “F you” attitude Guerin covets is definitely in Marat, noticeable immediately vs a guy like Rossi that still battles with it at times.
Yeah rossi hasnt been completely averse to contact but kind of almost accidentally finds himself doing things or has to force himself to do stuff. Similar to Ek in that way. Like ek is a good physical player but sort of just finds himself doing stuff bc he knows its the right thing to do in the moment.

Khusnutdinov looks a more enthusiastic combatant. No hesitation chasing the puck into corners. Kaprizov had a bit of that in him too but im sure understands its not his role to be wearing himself out doing it all the time.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Just graduated his thread tag from “prospect” to “player.” I’m getting a little sentimental reading the posts from 2020.

Essentially traded for Luke Kunin.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Spend most my time watching the newcomers now. I really like what I see so far. Fast and tenacious on the forecheck creating turnovers. Wins a surprising amount of board battles at his size. Sneaky good passer. Not afraid to go to the front of the net. Once he gets his defensive zone coverage cleaned up, he’s going to be an impressive bottom six forward.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He’s an excellent young player that has a high floor of a bottom sixer, and if the offense comes he could be more.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
lets see new to north america, good skater , defensively responsible & wins faceoffs hmmm but he can't score so get rid of him? addison could score but lacked defense and ya'll wanted him gone well which is it? lighten up francis!

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
lets see new to north america, good skater , defensively responsible & wins faceoffs hmmm but he can't score so get rid of him? addison could score but lacked defense and ya'll wanted him gone well which is it? lighten up francis!
Who said they wanted him gone?

Reactions: TaLoN

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
It's nice to have Yurov and Ohgren as top-six forward prospects but we also need those players that's going to phase out the more useless bottom sixers in Gaudreau, Letteri and Lucchini. Hopefully the next wave of Khusnutdinov, Bankier and Milne will do that soon.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
It's nice to have Yurov and Ohgren as top-six forward prospects but we also need those players that's going to phase out the more useless bottom sixers in Gaudreau, Letteri and Lucchini. Hopefully the next wave of Khusnutdinov, Bankier and Milne will do that soon.
if nothing else its better to be on the supply side of NHL bottom 6 players than consumer as the Wild have been for much of their history

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How has he been for u guys? Is he a main stay in Minny now or do you guys feel next season he may need AHL time?

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
How has he been for u guys? Is he a main stay in Minny now or do you guys feel next season he may need AHL time?
he may benefit a bit from some more offensive opportunity and developing that side of his game in the ahl but he’s looking like and nhler at this point. On this wild team he absolutely is an nhl player. He is better than half our lineup as he is.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's better than 4 or 5 forwards that we are trotting out there, but that isn't saying much. Skating is looking good, is surprisingly strong for a smaller guy. Good on the forecheck, and i think he'll be a good defender once he gets used to the team and system. Shows flashes of offense, but don't think he will ever be a super skilled player with the puck.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Based on his skating alone, and his defensive instincts (with no training camp and in a new country) he will be an NHLer. The question is...we have seen some good offensive instinct as well but they have been rare. But, I do see skill. The goal was a really nice tip. He has vision.

He has played with absolute scrubs 95% of the time. It's hard to say what he really becomes. Eye test with scrubs says he's a 45 point guy who skates better than most on the ice, with a good defensive game.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's still learning the systems but he's smart, fast, very defensively responsible, flashes of skill but nothing to write home about. Give him the offseason to study up and bulk up and he might look a bit different next season.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia

This is what I see as well. He understands the positioning/his assignments quite well. He has a good motor and seems to be good on the puck considering his size. I think he's going to be just fine being a reliable PKer who plays in the bottom 9, and puts up 25-30 points with maybe a couple of years in the 35-40.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad