Confirmed with Link: (Mar. 1) Mark Streit traded to Tampa Bay for Valtteri Filppula, 4th + 7th Round Picks

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I'm happy with this move. Couts 3C is only way this team is winning anything next year

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not ecstatic about the deal, but not fussed either. Filppula's going to be a solid 3C behind G and Couts, won't look out of place on the 2PP, and we only have to carry that money for one year. That's a fair bit more money than I want to be paying for my 3C, but given that the blue line will be cheaper next year, OK.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Our offense needed a change/boost. Here it is. I don't know if we'll make the playoffs, might be hard now, but next year we can roll three great lines.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
More importantly, We now have to lose a forward to fit Flip in. I wonder who it's going be.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Filppula is a 3C at this point of his career.

His possession metrics are meh, his E +/- has declined the last 3 years.
His scoring has bounced back from last year, he's basically a 10-20 30 guy at ES. He's scoring at 1.83 pp60 at ES but was 1.03 and 1.40 the last two seasons, so expect some regression to the mean next year.

He's basically the veteran C people wanted to pick up as a stopgap on a 2 yr $6-7M contract, a little more expensive but only one year, to buy time for Vorobyov and Rubtsov to grow up, and to see if Laughton can handle the job.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
So do we stack the top 2 lines and run couts or filpulla on the 3rd with the garabage. Or do we do pairs:

Konecny(when healthy)G-Simmonds
Raffl-Filppua-Voracek
Cousins-Couturier-Schenn
Read-PEB-Weise

Camille the Eel

Salary issues aside, this is a great move for the Flyers going forward. He's a top notch guy who's been in nothing but top notch winning locker rooms and programs. Has got speed. Plays both ways, strong fundamentals and indeed gifted with hockey sense and skill. A good structural piece for the organization. Fits in so many ways; plays 2d or 3d line center if necessary, good on the powerplay and the p k. What more can you ask. Can't believe Tampa let him go.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I wrote this here a few days ago...

I think it may be more advantageous to snag a guy in a cheap trade whose team can't protect him in the expansion draft. Signing a free agent will most likely require giving more years than we'd like to commit to. Going the trade route we can get a player who is a true stop gap, and not someone we are married to for long.

Off the top of my head brainstorming...

Valteri Filpulla
Tomas Plekanec
Jori Lehtera

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
It's weird that Mason wasn't traded. Now that he knows he has no future with the Flyers, it will be weird for him to end the season. I guess his future contract is gonna he his incentive to perform.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Flyers have space next season, so cap wise their is no issue. Overall, Hextall could have done much more.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Very happy with this.

He is overpaid by ~$1m...

but with Berglund re-signed were diminishing stop-gap 3C options in UFA.

Filppula fills that role and if UFA next summer.

Gives the Flyers 3x top 9 centers for first time in forever.

10-28-17
11-14-93
12-51-96

Is a nice top 9 on paper.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Filpulla was 3rd in ES P/60 for TB at 1.83. Higher than any Flyer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad