TSN Radio Maple Leafs VP of Hockey Operations Dave Poulin on Steckel deal, trade deadline

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
-Had to free up roster spots, mentions Lupul returns
-Steckel is used to being coached by Boudreau
-Holzer and Kadri are the only ones who can go to the AHL without waivers
-Trades are a day to day conversation, its hard to know where you're going to be in the standings

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
-Trades are a day to day conversation, its hard to know where you're going to be in the standings

You ruined it:help::rant:

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
-You'd like to think there is going to movement, you never know who is going to be available, sometimes it surprises you, but talks are nonstop
-Orr and McClaren are part of the culture that they like to build, that's why they play every game
-Thinks there is not a big separation between Reimer and Scrivens. Says James's injury is bothering him and they both have had ups and downs
-Says the free Jake Gardiner is an overblown case and everyone has moved on
-Jake hasn't been called up because they are not sure if his play is going to be consistent and they are waiting for when he is exactly on his A game
-They wont revisit Reilly until the end of the season, they have a plan for every junior player, they don't want to interrupt their season
-Says not to blame Holzer so much, he has been killing penalties and is playing big minutes and the Pens were having a hard time entering the zone and his physical game is partially to thank for that

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County

C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto

Poulin confirms that only Kadri and Holger on the current roster don't have to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL. Can anyone explain why Komarov as a 25+ yr old player with an NHL contract signed less than 1 year ago is not also waiver exempt? Is it because he technically signed his contract more than a year ago (the signing was announced on May 29, 2012.) Or am I misreading the waiver rules as it relates to older players signed to their first NHL contract? I realize the chances of Komarov being sent to the AHL is 0% regardless of the rules....still it would be nice to know.

DaveT83*

thanks buddy - :shakehead

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
Poulin confirms that only Kadri and Holger on the current roster don't have to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL. Can anyone explain why Komarov as a 25+ yr old player with an NHL contract signed less than 1 year ago is not also waiver exempt? Is it because he technically signed his contract more than a year ago (the signing was announced on May 29, 2012.) Or am I misreading the waiver rules as it relates to older players signed to their first NHL contract? I realize the chances of Komarov being sent to the AHL is 0% regardless of the rules....still it would be nice to know.

I'd love to weigh in on this but .... ;)

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Last time I tried to understand the League rules didn't turn out so well ... re. Reilly. :D

Whole bunch of media types....eg mirtle, seigel have indicated Komarov is waiver exempt, but a Leaf exec, Poulin says Kadri and Holger are the only two players waiver exempt on the roster which implies he believes Komarov is not. It would be nice to have our media and the team to be on the same page when it comes to something like league rules;)

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto

OK, so the answer to my question is that Komarov is waiver exempt but the team has a "gentleman's agreement" that he will not be waived...wtf!

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
-You'd like to think there is going to movement, you never know who is going to be available, sometimes it surprises you, but talks are nonstop
-Orr and McClaren are part of the culture that they like to build, that's why they play every game
-Thinks there is not a big separation between Reimer and Scrivens. Says James's injury is bothering him and they both have had ups and downs
-Says the free Jake Gardiner is an overblown case and everyone has moved on
-Jake hasn't been called up because they are not sure if his play is going to be consistent and they are waiting for when he is exactly on his A game
-They wont revisit Reilly until the end of the season, they have a plan for every junior player, they don't want to interrupt their season
-Says not to blame Holzer so much, he has been killing penalties and is playing big minutes and the Pens were having a hard time entering the zone and his physical game is partially to thank for that

This is BS.. he's ready and should be in the lineup instead of Holzer.

Play him or trade him - he's been ready for a while.

Kyle Doobas*

He said all the guys ragging on Holzer are pukes. (Don made me do it.) :D
He's played reasonably well, given that he's participated in about a quarter of a normal regular season, often against the opposition's top players. No doubt he's been miscast in that role, but what he's managed to do despite that bodes well for him in the future as a bottom-pairing guy. He's played quite well on the PK in particular.

Unfortunately, some people around here apparently can't put together a sounder analysis than, "Oh, look, he was near a guy that scored a goal! It's all his fault! Career AHLer!"

Last edited by a moderator:

MrLegend28*

put your GM application is. Why are we run by these guys who know nothing??

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies

I wonder how many people saying this have actually been watching the Marlies.

He was definitely not ready for awhile. He is only showing consistency lately. The thing about consistency is that it needs to be sustained.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad