The Star: Maple Leafs: Shanahan's gut tells him to go slow: DiManno

Pholus

May 23, 2014
How many years in the minors do you think every prospect needs ? It's time we give guys like Ashton among others a chance to show if they can play in the league and if they can't then get rid of them for the next crop of prospects.

Every year we have graduating prospects and there's only so much room and only so many contracts we can have on the books.

The problem with this team over the years hasn't been a "sense of entitlement" it's been a lack of talent and horrible mang . The rest is just bs spewed by failures like Burke.

Every prospect is different, you can't just lump them all together and say they only need x years in the minors or they're a bust/time to get rid of them/whatever. I also want to see them being given a chance, but I like the ufa signings because it means we aren't relying on these guys being able to contribute, and because it means they will have to show that they are better than someone else if they want to be in the line-up every game.

im legit praying that we suck though. leafs have been such a mishandled franchise for so long 1 more season wont make a difference. looking at this draft we dont even need to finish bottom 2, a 5-7 last finish will still net us a solid center prospect. also, what if some miracle landed us winning the lottery. adding mcadavid/eichle to this team would go a serious long way to making us respectable

Looking at the 2015 class, it seems like a bottom-10 (or maybe even bottom-12) finish could be enough for us to draft a future #1 center. Now, given the choice between a generational talent and an average 1st liner, I would take the generational talent, but at this point I would be pretty happy if the Leafs could draft a guy who ends up being a real #1C.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyler Biggs*

I am very happy with this offseason. Only move I am currently questioning is the Gunnar trade and even then I see two big positives in Rielly/Gardiner getting more minutes and getting a big and physical veteran defenceman for the bottom pairing. Love the Robidas signing, love that we didn't re-sign Bolland for what he wanted, love that we didn't re-sign Raymond, love the Santorelli signing, and finally I love having Komarov and Frattin back (despite Komarov being overpaid a little).

Also, big fan of what they did at the draft.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'd like to know what people think of Raymond vs. Santorelli?

Santorelli played center and led the Canucks in plus/minus, killed penalties, and was over 51% on faceoffs. His ppg was almost exactly the same as Raymond's and his giveaway to takeway ratio was much better. A measurable upgrade if he brings the same production to TO but he is no more physical than Raymond.

I think he can be their #3C but he doesn't present a physical matchup option so they are stacking up soft centers.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Kudos to Shanahan for telling it like it is in the world's hungriest --some would say most impatient-- hockey market. For decades, a succession of Leaf management teams have traded away draft picks and gone shopping for 'magic bullets' instead of patiently stockpiling and developing team talent. For decades, fans have bemoaned the Leafs inconsistent compete level on the ice. Increasing the competition for jobs at prospect camp, and at training camp, will hopefully translate into an increase in the team's compete level during the season.

You expressed my sentiments as well. At least Shanahan seems to understand the importance of drafting and having a long term plan and strategy. Let's hope his execution is as good as his concepts, and he is given the time to execute his plan.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Yzerman was drafted in 1983, Wings won Stanley Cup in 1997, now that was a SLOW re-build.

and based on that criteria we've been building since '67

The funny thing is you were all in favor of Burke's quickie retool and believed we didn't need to be patient in 08 .

You mean we are the quintessential example of the "proper" re-build ?

Not sure what your point is (if there is one), but I guess its draft schmaft, its for turkey's, the Leafs draft should be free agency.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
So? None of them will get more.

Were going to have 2-5 left over.

I hope gardiner skips the bridge and gets a contract close to jvrs. If his potential maxs out, we get a great deal, if he stays around same point but tidys up a bit it is still market value.. who knows though.

Gardiner 4.25 x 6 yr or 2.5 x 2
Fransons 2.5 x 1 yr trade deadline bait.
Reimer 2mill< or let him walk.

Tyler Biggs*

Other than the 6 or 7 teams that contend for the cup the Leafs are no different than the other 23 but we keep bashing the Leafs. It takes time boys. Did anyone think Shanahan would turn it around in 3 months. If you did you know nothing about hockey. In my opinion he gets 2 years to show improvement then we can judge. Peace out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad