GDT: Maple Leafs @ Red Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Didn't see a GDT so might as well get it started.

Game is on Sportsnet @ 7:00PM or TSN1050 for the Radio if you want to hear Joe Bowen

Freddy likely in net tonight with McElhinney tomorrow against the Flyers.
Mrazek likely for the Wings considering Coreau started last night against the Bruins.

Rielly is out probably until after the All Star break.

Definitely need to win in regulation considering how many teams behind us got points last night.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
A good friend of mine is a wings fan and for years he's been on me about how good they are, but the tide has shifted! If we are not the better team now, we absolutely are on the right path to being one.
It also helps when they are getting long in the tooth :D

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We're due for a road loss eventually, so I don't really expect a sweep before the break.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Detroit has lost 3 straight, we need to make it 4 tonight. It's pivotal to win as many first halves of back to backs as possible so we're not looking at a scenario where we get 0 of 4 points.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A good friend of mine is a wings fan and for years he's been on me about how good they are, but the tide has shifted! If we are not the better team now, we absolutely are on the right path to being one.

They need a couple of tank seasons.

Much harder to uncover 6th. and 7th. round gems today. Everyone scouts everywhere.

Most of us mature folks remember the "Maple Laffs" and "Dead Things" games.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
They need a couple of tank seasons.

Much harder to uncover 6th. and 7th. round gems today. Everyone scouts everywhere.

Most of us mature folks remember the "Maple Laffs" and "Dead Things" games.

:cry:

They were like leafs kryptonite to us, even when we were good. Really so much tradition and history in the wings. Actually a rival I respect.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
No let down tonight on the road in Detroit vs the coaches' old team. I think they bring it again this evening. A lot depends on the goaltending again though. Need a strong start.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015

I think the parity caused by the salary cap and probably more importantly, the salary floor is going to make it MUCH harder for teams to maintain playoff streaks of more than say 10 seasons. There just aren't enough REALLY bad teams anymore to get those gimme points from, I don't care how good your scouting is you aren't going to be able to consistently fill the pipeline with top talent long term when drafting 20th overall in a cap system.

Not to mention the nature of the cap means that even if you do manage to do that you're going to be losing your depth players on a regular basis(see Chicago) and eventually you won't make it in for at least one season while you re-group.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Went to watch a Sabres game vs Detroit with a couple friends who are rabid Wings fans. They reluctantly admit that losing Babcock exposed how much he was responsible for these players over-achieving and making the playoffs with a mediocre line-up. They miss Babcock. Lidstrom retiring didn't help either ;)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Went to watch a Sabres game vs Detroit with a couple friends who are rabid Wings fans. They reluctantly admit that losing Babcock exposed how much he was responsible for these players over-achieving and making the playoffs with a mediocre line-up. They miss Babcock. Lidstrom retiring didn't help either ;)

Ya my friend was also upset they lost babcock.
The thing about Lidstrom was when he left babcock changed the system to compensate, as much as you can losing HHOF talent like that.
Really happy he is our coach.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Toronto-Maple-Leafs-vs-Detroit-Red-Wings.jpg

Game day: Toronto Maple Leafs at Detroit Red Wings
Detroit’s Dylan Larkin is expected to miss game with an upper-body injury.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...toronto-maple-leafs-at-detroit-red-wings.html

By Mark ZwolinskiSports reporter
Tues., Jan. 24, 2017

JOE LOUIS ARENA

PUCK DROP: Wednesday, 7 p.m.

TV: Sportsnet

RADIO: TSN 1050

KEY PLAYERS

Auston Matthews, Leafs, and Niklas Kronwall, Red Wings. Matthews will continue to draw the top opposition defencemen, and its likely he will see plenty of Kronwall, who returned to the Wings lineup Sunday after missing eight games with a groin injury. Kronwall is paired with Nick Jensen, who is receiving rave reviews for his skating and play so far this season.

NEED TO KNOW

Detroit, on a 3-0-2 run before facing Boston on Tuesday, had needed extra time its previous three games, beating the Bruins in a shootout last week and losing to Buffalo and the Rangers in overtime . . . Detroit lost forward Dylan Larkin to an upper-body injury on Sunday. He was listed as day to day, but won’t play against Toronto. Larkin hasn’t played at the same level as his rookie year, when he had 45 points and was plus-11. He has 18 points in 47 games this year and is minus-14 . . . Thomas Vanek, tied with Henrik Zetterberg for the team points lead (31), also left Sunday’s game after taking a slap shot on the leg . . . Goaltender Petr Mrazek is having a subpar season, with a 3.13 average and .895 save percentage, well off his career numbers (2.29 and .920). Jimmy Howard has career-best numbers in his 15 starts: 1.96 and .934.

UP NEXT

Thursday, at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.

Game Day: Maple Leafs at Red Wings
By Terry Koshan, Toronto Sun

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/25/game-day-maple-leafs-at-red-wings

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS at DETROIT RED WINGS

Wednesday, 7 p.m., Joe Louis Arena

TV: SNO; Radio: 1050 AM

THE BIG MATCHUP

Auston Matthews vs. Henrik Zetterberg

With Detroit coach Jeff Blashill enjoying the advantage of last change, it’s possible he goes with this matchup, pitting the wily veteran Zetterberg against Matthews, who has gone three games without recording a point (but has recorded nine shots on goal). If not Matthews, then Zetterberg gets either Nazem Kadri or Tyler Bozak, also not exactly desirable.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Ya my friend was also upset they lost babcock.
The thing about Lidstrom was when he left babcock changed the system to compensate, as much as you can losing HHOF talent like that.
Really happy he is our coach.

I completely agree. He is always thinking. Always prepared. Always teaching and reinforcing. I get so pissed when our fans criticize his line-up decisions. I am learning not to post anything when I see that stuff and let it go. Anger management 101 lol.

Anyway, I like our chances tonight not because we're a fat-cat arrogant franchise but because we are young, talented, hungry, and well prepared.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I completely agree. He is always thinking. Always prepared. Always teaching and reinforcing. I get so pissed when our fans criticize his line-up decisions. I am learning not to post anything when I see that stuff and let it go. Anger management 101 lol.

Anyway, I like our chances tonight not because we're a fat-cat arrogant franchise but because we are young, talented, hungry, and well prepared.

:biglaugh:

Go leafs go!!

Btw speaking of anger management did you finish that gallon yet? Haha

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks to Rayzorexe for the GDT.. and to Budsfan for all the updates..

Repeat of New Year's Day.. with the same final result, please...

Stand Witness (The Boys Are Back): Toronto Maple Leafs 2016-17 Season Pump (HD)

The Naz Jam: All Nazem Kadri's 2015-16 Season Goals & Highlights - TML

GO LEAFS GO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad