Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs re-sign Nikita Zaitsev for 7 years, $4.5M per

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
nice, i think it was don cherry who was upset that they didnt sign him yet or something along those lines. you know he's good when even don cherry likes him

Um lol wut?

I think you need to re-watch Coachs Corner

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That's not awful but also not good. It sucks that a player like Zaitsev got 7 years.

He did pretty damn good for a rookie. The K is very different, he had to adjust and the keep up as a top pairing guy and not look like a tire fire. He wasn't. If anything there is only upside in him based on the eye test skill I see.

member 262271

Great deal, I like it. Don Cherry and Debbie downers in general likely will not.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Put up 36 points and he didn't even look that comfortable offensively.

I think he could have some 45-50 point seasons ahead of him.

Putting up points doesn't mean anything. Schultz had like 50 points, no one will give him a 7 year deal.

Zaitsev has been a negative possession player. I'm not sure he's worth a long term deal. We should have bridged him.

I'd rather pay 3M per for two years before finding out what we are getting.

Does anyone know what we can expect from Zaitsev next season? No one knows really.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Was initially surprised by the term when this was first rumoured, but I think this will work out fine.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Babcock obviously believes in him, cuz if he didn't we wouldn't have signed him for 7 years. So if babs believes in him I believe in him.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Putting up points doesn't mean anything. Schultz had like 50 points, no one will give him a 7 year deal.

Zaitsev has been a negative possession player. I'm not sure he's worth a long term deal. We should have bridged him.

Does anyone know what we can expect from Zaitsev next season? No one knows really.

3m for 2 years playing top pairing on a playoff team would net him a HUGE pay day. Unless he completely bombs which I don't see happening.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Obviously Babcock knows what to expect.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012

Agreed, he's made a nice transition to the NHL but 7 years is so unnecessary. I would've rather given him two years at a higher salary to see if he's legit

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Riskiest contract the Shanaplan has signed so far.

Solid AAV but the term is a gamble.

Oh well - two top 4 defenders locked long term for $9.5 mill isn't bad!

Steven1562

May 13, 2013

The minute you find out that Zaitsev has more potential he's gonna ask for 6-7 million. I would rather eat the 4.5 and take the risk.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

and if you bridged him, he would have gone back to Russia.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Babcock obviously believes in him, cuz if he didn't we wouldn't have signed him for 7 years. So if babs believes in him I believe in him.

Babcock also believes in Matt Martin and Ben Smith, yet only played Leivo when he had no choice

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Riskiest contract the Shanaplan has signed so far.

Solid AAV but the term is a gamble.

Oh well - two top 4 defenders locked long term for $9.5 mill isn't bad!

If Zaitsev is making 4.5M, Gardiner is either going to cost us a fortune or won't play for the Leafs in 2 years. Hopefully Zaitsev improves to take care of the hole losing Gardiner would create and we have someone to take Zaitsev's role.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Bridging him means he might not be re-signed when you consider who else is up for a new contract at that time.

I would have preferred 5 years myself but I think rolling the dice in this case is a better bet.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
beautiful.

so nice to have an FO that ignores +/- completely.

that's good management.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Zaitsev is making 4.5M, Gardiner is either going to cost us a fortune or won't play for the Leafs in 2 years. Hopefully Zaitsev improves to take care of the hole losing Gardiner would create and we have someone to take Zaitsev's role.

Gardiner will get paid no matter what Zaitsev is being paid.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I don't mind this deal. Z is almost home grown player.

He's part of the core in my eyes. He didn't look that good in late season. I think most people forget he played a lot of games this year. From WC to playoffs. He's still a rookie and getting used to NHL

I think he'll be really good for the Leafs in years to come

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Obviously Babcock knows what to expect.

Babcock also played Matthews with Hyman and Brown for 40+ games, played Ben Smith and Soshnikov over Leivo (who we will lose to expansion most likely).

I hope Zaitsev can do better next year.

The dollar value is great but the term is a lot to take. You have to hope he has another level to his game.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Gardiner will probably be a $2-$2.5 mill AAV raise .. Which could be manageable.

Gardiner's future with the team is still uncertain because of when he is a UFA regardless of Zaitsev's deal

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I like the deal for the Leafs, and it's fair to Zaits. I would've hoped for/liked a shorter contract length, but I can imagine the push-pull of negotiations in terms of contract length and dollars.

Could be incredible value IF Zaitsev reaches his full potential - which I think is a top pairing d-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad