News Article: Maple Leafs rank 105th among smartest spenders in sports

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-04-24/smartest-spenders-in-sports-2014

The Maple Leafs ranked 105th out of 122 teams among the smartest spenders in sports according to Businessweek. Underneath is how they did their rankings.

Our ranking of all 122 franchises in the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB rates teams based on how much they spent in player payroll for every win during the last five seasons. Each team is compared against the average price per win in its league to produce a score we call the efficiency index. The less a team spends compared with its peers, the lower its score. Playoff victories and championships get extra weight. Payroll data come from the best available published sources.*

Last edited by a moderator:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Very interesting.

Leafs spend more than most of the 4 major pro sports teams and get among the least success for their investment $.

Spending harder not smarter seems to be the take away here from this business week study.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Wow...there are teams that are more stupid with their money than the Leafs? There is hope!

James Duthie

Kadri is 3 Hunna
May 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How are the Lakers the 18th best spenders when they are one of the worst teams this season... then you have the Brooklyn Nets who have a salary of 100mil + along with luxury tax at 98th place when they finished the season in the sixth spot meanwhile the Raptors at 107 finished 3rd and only spent 60 million, great logic. This chart makes no sense whatsoever

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
masai fixed the spending issues with the raps, and i see no reason the leafs and jays arent 119, and 120

they need to update that list

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
How are the Lakers the 18th best spenders when they are one of the worst teams this season... then you have the Brooklyn Nets who have a salary of 100mil + along with luxury tax at 98th place when they finished the season in the sixth spot meanwhile the Raptors at 107 finished 3rd and only spent 60 million, great logic. This chart makes no sense whatsoever

Perhaps because they are adding weight/value for playoff wins and championships, and they are using a 5 year time span?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The first round playoff loss helps the Leafs in this case. They weigh playoff wins into the equation thats the only explanation I have for it. The Raptors aren't lower because they only spent 60 million. The reason why Brooklyn is at 98 is again the last 5 years that franchise has made the playoffs and gone a few rounds. There's a reason why Edmonton and the Cubs are at the bottom...yikes

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Some Teams seem much higher or lower than you would think. ie Steelers @ 37.

The Leafs being near the bottom are where you'd expect them, did they go up or down from the previous year?

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
You'd think that ownership would get sick of their money being pissed away like this but it hasn't happened yet.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Cap space is a resource, and not using it is a waste.

Even on a bad team, there are ways to use cap space:

1) signing young players to JVR-type deals instead of bridge deals. You use more cap space in the short term to have more available later.
2) Signing Jagr-type one year contracts, with an eye to moving them at the deadline for assets. (Dallas has employed this strategy I believe.)
3) Taking on another team's bad contract in exchange for assets - as long as the contract is short term.

I do think a bit of cap wiggle room is important because it provides more flexibility to make trades (acquiring Phaneuf for scraps would have been impossible if we were tight to the cap). But if we were sitting around with $10M of unused cap, I'd be asking myself why the richest team in the league was wasting one of its resources.

Do I like having cap space locked up going forward in bad contracts (ahem, Mr. 71)? No.

But do I mind if we used up all our cap space last year, regardless of how good/bad the team was? Not in the least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad