News Article: Maple Leafs' Knies: Matthews is NHL's 'best overall player'

Do you agree?

• Yes I agree because I'm super smart and this is the only possible answer.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • No I dont not agree, I'm stooooopid

Votes: 25 62.5%

• Total voters

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Matthew Knies may be biased, but he believes his Toronto Maple Leafs teammate Auston Matthews is the top player in the game.

"He's not just the best goal-scorer in the NHL, but he plays defense, too," Knies said Tuesday at the NHL's rookie showcase, per ESPN's Greg Wyshynski. "He's kind of the best overall player (in the NHL) in my eyes."

The two teammates go way back: Both natives of Arizona, Knies' older brother, Phil, grew up playing with Matthews.

Matthews is coming off a down year with 40 goals and 45 assists in 74 contests. But he led the league in goals in each of the prior two campaigns and won the Hart Trophy and Ted Lindsay Award in 2021-22 when he potted 60 goals and added 46 helpers in 73 contests. He also received downballot Selke Trophy votes in each of the last four years.

Knies' opinion runs contrary to the general consensus that Edmonton Oilers superstar Connor McDavid is the best player in the game. McDavid has won three straight Art Ross Trophies and captured the Hart Trophy and Ted Lindsay Award this past season after recording 64 goals and 153 points.

Knies, who's only skated in three NHL regular-season games and seven playoff contests, will get his first taste of McDavid when the Leafs visit the Oilers on Jan. 16.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I like the cheeky double negative.

However, while I certainly understand the position the kid was taking, one can't take away from McDavid what is rightly his...

I believe that at everyone's absolute best, Matthews is the 2nd best player in the league, as he is perfectly capable of scoring 60 goals and 50 assists while being truly dominant defensively and not need to rely on the elusive power play.

At his absolute best, MacKinnon is next for me, followed closely by Draisaitl.

Afterwards, there is a big lump of players: Barkov, Kucherov, Tkachuck, Hughes, Pettersen....

Crosby is still a top 10 player as far as I'm concerned, but where he slots, I'm not sure. Somewhere between 5 and 10 though.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He may very well be. I don’t know, and I don’t really care where he slots in. people get way too hung up on these things. BUT, I don’t take teammates and friends pumping each other’s tires seriously. He is not going to say “oh, I think Matthews is about 5th best player for me” or something like that. Come on, man.

horner

May 22, 2007
He can be as good as McDavid if he wants to be .
Everything is there but does he want it.

Reactions: Frostitute

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Meh, the boys had it right talking about it on Overdrive. 20y old rookie, not used to mic’s in his face, he’s talking up his teammate to answer the question.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Ya no, that's McDavid.

McDavid is hoooooooorid without the puck, he's so elite with the puck who really cares how bad he is without it? McDavid is not the best two way player. he might be the best player, not the best two way.

Reactions: Bronxxx

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Meh, the boys had it right talking about it on Overdrive. 20y old rookie, not used to mic’s in his face, he’s talking up his teammate to answer the question.

They have also been of the exact opposite opinion in the past:

When Kessel was here, they trashed him constantly for not doing more on the defensive end and doing everything necessary to win games.

Not McDavid is being talked about in the same way, as discussed yesterday with Strudwick, that maybe he is learning that winning 7-6 isn't possible all the time, and that sometimes he will need to help lock down the opposing team instead of cheating for another goal.

I find it funny that this week alone, we have had the boys completely whitewash their 2 years of trashing Phil before he left, and now hold him as some sort of cult hero.

It's actually kind of cute, in an eye-roll kind of way.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I mean he's not wrong. What other 60 goal scorer plays better defense than matthews? Unless marner scores 60 also lol

I can't think of a 50 goal scorer who plays better defense either

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
I like the cheeky double negative.

However, while I certainly understand the position the kid was taking, one can't take away from McDavid what is rightly his...

I believe that at everyone's absolute best, Matthews is the 2nd best player in the league, as he is perfectly capable of scoring 60 goals and 50 assists while being truly dominant defensively and not need to rely on the elusive power play.

At his absolute best, MacKinnon is next for me, followed closely by Draisaitl.

Afterwards, there is a big lump of players: Barkov, Kucherov, Tkachuck, Hughes, Pettersen....

Crosby is still a top 10 player as far as I'm concerned, but where he slots, I'm not sure. Somewhere between 5 and 10 though.
Until drai isint backpacked by mcd (pp and sneaking onto his line/doubleshifts/playing lesser D when " centers" his own line) he isint top five, or top 10 in my eyes.

Auston Matthews is the best player in the NHL when he's not hurt. He proved it last year. 40 goals with no shot and his wrist dangling from his arm.. Still played defence (elite d which costs him the difference in points mcd gets) so yeah, look at the poll hahaha. People from outside our board had to come vote simply because He's a leaf.. Hahaha suck it hf...

I mean he's not wrong. What other 60 goal scorer plays better defense than matthews? Unless marner scores 60 also lol
This guy gets it!

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
If Matthews isn't hurt, he's top 10 for sure, probably top 5. Best overall? I don't think he's so far away that it sounds crazy if a teammate says it.

Personally, I'd rather have McDavid. I Matthews is in a group where I'd put him on equal ground with McKinnon, Draisatl. After this season, there is a chance Jack Hughes or Rasmus Dahlin may join that discussion. But other than McDavid, I don't put anyone clearly above Matthews AND McDavid I don't think is THAT far above him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad