The Star: Maple Leafs have sights set on expanding growth in China

Tyler Biggs*

http://www.thestar.com/business/spo..._sights_set_on_expanding_growth_in_china.html

From a business perspective, it’s a great idea. Obviously there’s a potential huge market in China, even if only 1/5 of the country became even remotely interested in hockey that’s still a larger population that Canada. I also love the idea of the sport growing over there, I know it’s become big in places like South Korea. I’m all for the growing of hockey over there, and if MSLE can get promoted by the Chinese government itself, good for them.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
http://www.thestar.com/business/spo..._sights_set_on_expanding_growth_in_china.html

From a business perspective, it’s a great idea. Obviously there’s a potential huge market in China, even if only 1/5 of the country became even remotely interested in hockey that’s still a larger population that Canada. I also love the idea of the sport growing over there, I know it’s become big in places like South Korea. I’m all for the growing of hockey over there, and if MSLE can get promoted by the Chinese government itself, good for them.

If 1/100th became interested we are doing well.

TheThrill81*

We would definitely see an increase in counterfeit jerseys. :sarcasm:

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
The cash cow's gonna get heavier.

The more money they make outside of their current market the less they'll have to be responsible to their Canadian fans...Oh wait....

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Really, China, really, how much more money does MLSE really need? :rolleyes: Talk about greedy! :yashin:

I could see if China was a hockey nation, then sure, exploit the crap out of it! :whaaa?:

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
makes sense. time to give them back a low quality manufactured product under the guess of a 'good' brand'.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
makes sense. time to give them back a low quality manufactured product under the guess of a 'good' brand'.

They need to develop or we new to develop a Chinese superstar for the nation to embrace. When that happens they will embrace hockey more in China.

Countries rally around the family. Canada has had no generational lack of role models. As the US creates more, hockey grows in the States.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Really, China, really, how much more money does MLSE really need? :rolleyes: Talk about greedy! :yashin:

I could see if China was a hockey nation, then sure, exploit the crap out of it! :whaaa?:

you realise that's not how it works, right?

you expose them to the game, (which- actually, they are because they have a women's hockey program) nurture them, try to find the next Chinese super star. it's called grass roots.

it's how the NBA exploded in China. they went in and nurtured it and put money into it.
Good for MLSE for taking initiative, and if they get extra revenue for them that's gravy for them.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
you realise that's not how it works, right?

you expose them to the game, (which- actually, they are because they have a women's hockey program) nurture them, try to find the next Chinese super star. it's called grass roots.

it's how the NBA exploded in China. they went in and nurtured it and put money into it.
Good for MLSE for taking initiative, and if they get extra revenue for them that's gravy for them.

Hey maybe the Leafs can single handedly double the revenue of NHL and the cap will drastically increase offsetting the costs of our terrible Clarksons I mean Contracts.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Let's say directly because of this some big Chinese young superstar develops but the Leafs wouldn't be able to have first dibs on him because he'll go right into the NHL draft so that some other team will get him. Makes no sense. Leafs should have first dibs on any young Chinese player that develops from this.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Trying to turn China into Leaf fans seems like some kind of war tactic. Time to break the spirit of China :laugh:.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They might want to try winning before taking their product into China. It's not like the Milwaukee Bucks are popular among the Chinese.

vybnji

May 9, 2011
Stephen[CENTER said:
[/CENTER];92192641]They might want to try winning before taking their product into China. It's not like the Milwaukee Bucks are popular among the Chinese.

Pish posh. Who has heard of Milwaukee? Meanwhile, Toronto is one of those cities in the world that the Chinese are pooring money into (real estate investments?).

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
It's not like the Milwaukee Bucks are popular among the Chinese.

The funny thing is they were fairly popular in China for a couple years thanks to Yi Jianlian. The former owner had all sorts of dreams on marketing in China, the only problem was he and his merry band of idiots had absolutely no idea how to do so. :laugh:

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Things like this make it really hard to support this team. Who gives a **** about fan interest in China, how about pleasing the fans you already have who have been waiting almost half a century at this point for something to cheer about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad