The Star: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis has his work cut out for him

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I just figured that since Komi only has this season and then is gone anyways, it would be more of a waste to buy him out.

I like Liles, but I think he's already been replaced by a superior, younger, and cheaper player in Gardiner so why have his cap for the next 3 years?

That's the way I look at the Komi situation as well . I'd rather buy him out and take the short minimal cap hit than use an amnesty on him .

JML and Grabo's deals are more troublesome to move off our books and i'd rather save our 2 free buyouts to use on them if that becomes the only way to move them .

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I just figured that since Komi only has this season and then is gone anyways, it would be more of a waste to buy him out.

I like Liles, but I think he's already been replaced by a superior, younger, and cheaper player in Gardiner so why have his cap for the next 3 years?

I can buy that as its based on logical reasoning.

Much better long-term cap situation for the Leafs is created by buying out Liles and keeping Komisarek and letting his contract end normally as that is only a factor for next year.

Grabs effort in the playoffs, despite an off year overall statistically has bought him another year reprieve as opposed to a buyout. A compliance buyout is still available the following season if he doesn't rebound, but then your idea of not using it on Komisarek makes even more sense to keep it in reserve if needed. Timing wise Komisarek would come off the books anyways at that time naturally when that time comes giving more cap space options for Nonis to consider.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.000m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
Mikhail Grabovski ($5.500m) / Nazem Kadri ($3.500m) / Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m) / Joe Colborne ($1.100m) / Matt Frattin ($0.925m)
Leo Komarov ($1.100m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Colton Orr ($1.000m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.750m) / Greg Scott ($0.538m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Carl Gunnarsson ($3.875m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Cody Franson ($3.875m)
Mark Fraser ($1.200m) / Korbinian Holzer ($0.788m)
Mike Kostka ($0.600m)
GOALTENDERS
James Reimer ($1.800m)
Ben Scrivens ($0.613m)
OTHER
Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
Buried: Mike Komisarek ($3.575m)
Buyout: John-Michael Liles ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,554,167; BONUSES: $300,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,045,833

My guess, as an armchair GM, as to what Nonis will do. This means either trading or using a compliance buyout on Liles. I can't see Nonis using a buyout on Komisarek because he is only on the books for one more year. They will keep Grabovski for one more season and see if he rebounds, he has contributed too much to not give him another try. If he doesn't, they still have another compliance buyout they can use next season. All of the dead money (Tucker, Armstrong, Komisarek) is gone after this season, which still gives the Leafs a million in cap for this one.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nonis said he would like to capitalize on teams having cap troubles and use that as leverage for a trade.

It might be good to try and take advantage of panicky GMs who have disappointing teams. Is Washington ripe for a fleecing? What about Carolina, Edmonton, Buffalo, Colorado and Philadelphia?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It might be good to try and take advantage of panicky GMs who have disappointing teams. Is Washington ripe for a fleecing? What about Carolina, Edmonton, Buffalo, Colorado and Philadelphia?

What about his former team Vancouver, who after two straight 1st round exits has a GM promising change?

Ryan Kesler might look good in the Leaf jersey addressing the Leafs center ice spot. ;)

The Reaper

Men of Mayhem
Dec 29, 2010
Canada
What about his former team Vancouver, who after two straight 1st round exits has a GM promising change?

Ryan Kesler might look good in the Leaf jersey addressing the Leafs center ice spot. ;)

No thanks, we don't want to be a team that will dive with Kesler ;)

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Ya cause a guy who has routinely been top 10 top 7 in every major category while providing a stabilizing and calming presence at the back isn't something you want. Oh also a vezina nominee, Stanley cup finalist just two summers ago and Olympic gold medalist, ya who needs that guy.

Um...what exactly has he done lately that you think warrants taking on that boat anchor of a contract? The guy you are looking to replace (Reimer) just had 3 more playoff wins than Luongo this season.

Also, saying vezina nominee is like saying we were "second round" nominees....in the end, it doesn't mean squat.

The Reaper

Men of Mayhem
Dec 29, 2010
Canada
Ya cause a guy who has routinely been top 10 top 7 in every major category while providing a stabilizing and calming presence at the back isn't something you want. Oh also a vezina nominee, Stanley cup finalist just two summers ago and Olympic gold medalist, ya who needs that guy.

No Leaf fans wants Luongo or his ridiculous contract

@Leafs Forever Apparently Dreger was reporting it

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What pieces do you propose we trade to get him? It's not happening.

Well Canucks are a team built to win NOW, so they will not be looking for pick(s) and prospects but rather NHL roster players instead.

This fits in with Nonis' statement of not prepared to deal those types of assets for older players.

Vancouver promising change, up against the cap and motivated to deal also helps in this matter as well.

So the potential for a deal his here.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Where does this "Bozak wants 5 Million" even come from, exactly? It's become such an accepted idea around here, but I have yet to see a source for it. And then you have to ask yourself how valid is the source at this point, and whether or not Bozak has changed his mind.

Team salary structure is the premise behind this belief, and a reason behind why its been reported in the media.

Grabovski when heading for free agency last summer (similar situation) to Bozak this summer received $5.5 mil as the Leafs #2 center.

Bozak contributes more and plays above Grabovski on the teams depth chart often centering the top line. Making Bozak >> Grabovski in contribution.

That is a situation for Bozak and his agent to be in a position to ask for similar $$ & term to what Grabovski received. Contracts are negotiated based on comparable situations and this one is on the table for Bozak.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Well Canucks are a team built to win NOW, so they will not be looking for pick(s) and prospects but rather NHL roster players instead.

This fits in with Nonis' statement of not prepared to deal those types of assets for older players.

Vancouver promising change, up against the cap and motivated to deal also helps in this matter as well.

I agree with this, but i don't think Kesler will be part of that change. Luongo, Ballard, Booth and others maybe.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
No Leaf fans wants Luongo or his ridiculous contract

@Leafs Forever Apparently Dreger was reporting it

The breakdown is 5.33 for elite to upper echelon level goaltending for 5-6 years then the recapture is ~$2M/each to Toronto and Vancouver for the next 3 season (guessing he retires after 6) right now the leafs have $2m in buy outs with Armstrong and tucker, and another 9.25m in the minors.
As for tr what'cha done for me lately guy, it was pretty obvious that Vancouver was swept on spite of luongo's play, in fact numerous shark players were publically vocal in stating they were relieved to see Schneider in net. I'll take Logan couture & jumbo joes opinion of a goalie over a couchside analysts.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site

NOW has already passed for Vancouver. sorry

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The breakdown is 5.33 for elite to upper echelon level goaltending for 5-6 years then the recapture is ~$2M/each to Toronto and Vancouver for the next 3 season (guessing he retires after 6) right now the leafs have $2m in buy outs with Armstrong and tucker, and another 9.25m in the minors.
As for tr what'cha done for me lately guy, it was pretty obvious that Vancouver was swept on spite of luongo's play, in fact numerous shark players were publically vocal in stating they were relieved to see Schneider in net. I'll take Logan couture & jumbo joes opinion of a goalie over a couchside analysts.

The question isn't if he's a quality goalie but how much longer can he play at that level ?

Also if he can't a steal series for the nucks why would I want him on a team which probably won't be a true contender for a few years anyway .

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
The question isn't if he's a quality goalie but how much longer can he play at that level ?

Also if he can't a steal series for the nucks why would I want him on a team which probably won't be a true contender for a few years anyway .

It hard to steal a series when you only play 2 games, and are only spotted 3 goals total in those two games.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Actually Nonis commented specifically praising certain player(s) effort given in the playoffs, and we all know who that was referring to in part without naming names as Nonis didn't either. ;)

Yep, without naming names. Rather than naming names like Burkie did. Like the new GM.

MrLegend28*

How about re-signing a lot of guys who all deserve raises? Bozak, Kadri, Gunnarsson, Franson, Fraser, Komarov, Colborne...

That doesn't even count the fact that we need to make at least a couple significant additions.

Bye, RFA, RFA, RFA, Bye, RFA, Lol not getting a raise

there, done and done

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
No it's not but still...when your team doesn't score for you it's hard to win a game.

Game 5 against Boston: we score 2....we win.
Game 6 against Boston: we score 2....we win.

One would think that if a second rate hack like Reimer could steal 2 games in a row, an "elite" goalie like Luongo wouldn't have an issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad