The Star: Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis has his work cut out for him

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Clarkson is literally the worst UFA target this year. He is the guy that is going to be the most overpaid, and is going to be the guy in a couple of years making $5m to be a mediocre 3rd liner. Stay far away from Clarkson.

With Komarov and Orr on the 4th line wings, and Kuly and Frattin on the 3rd line wings, plus big two-way prospects like Colborne, Ashton, Biggs, Leivo pushing for spots, we've got more than enough size for our wings without paying some guy $5m to be our 3rd line winger.

I dont think ive seen one person say they would sign him for 5m, I havent seen one media source saying hes looking for 5m or Clarkson or his agent say anything about that number either. 3.8 is the highest I would go.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I dont think ive seen one person say they would sign him for 5m, I havent seen one media source saying hes looking for 5m or Clarkson or his agent say anything about that number either. 3.8 is the highest I would go.

Yeah, $4 million would be my max. He would be a great addition, someone who has some offense (20 goals would be realistic) and brings everything we need in our top 6 with size and grit.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Disagree. Pascal Dupuis will be the worst. Hes 34 and just came off a career year. Hes going to be looking to cash in too this contract. He screams "Jason Blake" to me.

bruyns

Jan 18, 2011
Barrie
Disagree. Pascal Dupuis will be the worst. Hes 34 and just came off a career year. Hes going to be looking to cash in too this contract. He screams "Jason Blake" to me.

You don't think Dupuis re-ups in Pittsburgh for something reasonable? I also agree with Zeke on Clarkson and someone is going to pay him 4+ at least if not 5+. Im surprised that Ive read on this board ppl think Bozak is asking for 5+ and then others say they don't think Clarkson will get a big pay day.

I would wager a large sum of money that Clarkson is making more than Bozak next year.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
These are outlandish assumptions. Bozak was getting 21mins a game and tons of PP time between Kessel/Lupul and JVR. Why don't we just settle down here and actually try different things before we get crazy with the cheese whiz.

Wut choo talkin' bout Willis? Semenko played with Gretzky so he'd obviously have a case for being one of their top money making wingers, right?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
You don't think Dupuis re-ups in Pittsburgh for something reasonable? I also agree with Zeke on Clarkson and someone is going to pay him 4+ at least if not 5+. Im surprised that Ive read on this board ppl think Bozak is asking for 5+ and then others say they don't think Clarkson will get a big pay day.

I would wager a large sum of money that Clarkson is making more than Bozak next year.

Well that depends on what Dupuis priorities are. Hes never had the opportunity to make huge money, nor will he ever have it again. He just came off a near PPG season, someone will offer him 4+ for likely at least 3 years. Pitt cant offer him that much. This is the contract that can set him up for life, and hsi kids for that matter.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
These are outlandish assumptions. Bozak was getting 21mins a game and tons of PP time between Kessel/Lupul and JVR. Why don't we just settle down here and actually try different things before we get crazy with the cheese whiz.

Mac and Kule looked very good with Kadri last season, something that alluded them when they played with Grabo. Somehow I can see Grabo still ending up with 16 points playing with Kessel, except Kessel would be far less effective since as you like to remind us Grabo is a puck possession guy, and we all know he just hates to pass. Puck possession = puck hog.

bruyns

Jan 18, 2011
Barrie
Well that depends on what Dupuis priorities are. Hes never had the opportunity to make huge money, nor will he ever have it again. He just came off a near PPG season, someone will offer him 4+ for likely at least 3 years. Pitt cant offer him that much. This is the contract that can set him up for life, and hsi kids for that matter.

I was just talking about this the other day wondering if winning another cup would increase the chances he leaves for big money. I think someone will really regret paying him 4+ with term if he is able to get that though.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I don't think teams will be lining up to give 34 year old Dupuis big money based on playing with crosby, and he likely won't get more than 2-3 years. He probably will get at least $3m, though.

Clarkson, on the other hand, is probably looking at close to $5m for minimum 5yrs, IMO.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
MLSE eats almost 14 million to buy Grabo out this summer?......... ...... :laugh:

how much does msle make each playoff game? there are a handful of centers out there who could realistically be had that would give us a better chance at winning. $14 million is an obscene amount of money but it is relative to what msle makes. i really think they would consider it if it meant making the team better.

imo i would try to trade for stasnty as plan A, if that isnt possible look to sign ribiero or weiss. imo ribiero would be a good for toronto. i would give him the same money and term that grabovski has left and buyout grabs. ribiero will put up numbers with jvr-kessel.

i would also look into upgrading mac with clarkson, and finding someone to play defense with phaneuf who isnt an ahler.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
how much does msle make each playoff game? there are a handful of centers out there who could realistically be had that would give us a better chance at winning. $14 million is an obscene amount of money but it is relative to what msle makes. i really think they would consider it if it meant making the team better.

imo i would try to trade for stasnty as plan A, if that isnt possible look to sign ribiero or weiss. imo ribiero would be a good for toronto. i would give him the same money and term that grabovski has left and buyout grabs. ribiero will put up numbers with jvr-kessel.

i would also look into upgrading mac with clarkson, and finding someone to play defense with phaneuf who isnt an ahler.
The Leafs would have to make it to the SCF for them to make that 14 million back. If they ever do it I think it will be at the end of next year.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Clarkson at 4mil is fine. If you pay any more, you will be disappointed. If he wants to play in TO, he needs to take a slight discount.

I think Clowe will only cost 3mil and may fill a similar role to clarkson.

What we should be more worried about is defense, which needs a healthy injection of defensively reliable player(s)

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.

The year before last when there was a full seson MLSE made 92M Profit after taxes.
Toronto Maple Leafs are one of only a few teams in the NHL that still make
a very high profit even when they don't make the playoffs.

Each Playoff game would be worth approximately 3M - so do the math -
approx 7 home games.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
If Bickell is available...Guy screams bear repellent...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs would have to make it to the SCF for them to make that 14 million back. If they ever do it I think it will be at the end of next year.

Buyout rules are 2/3rds of the remaining $ balance paid out over 2 X # of years left.

So Grabovski would be $14,333,333 spread over 8 years of payments ~= $1.8 mil a year.

bruyns

Jan 18, 2011
Barrie
Buyout rules are 2/3rds of the remaining $ balance paid out over 2 X # of years left.

So Grabovski would be $14,333,333 spread over 8 years of payments ~= $1.8 mil a year.

Why would they buyout Grabovski in this manner? If he is bought out and I think the chance is almost 0% unless he has an even worse season in 13-14 they would be using a compliance buy out. Suggesting that the Leafs might eat a 1.8M cap hit for 8 years is sheer lunacy.

Sorry Mess I don't know what I'm talking about haha. I thought the compliance buy outs were for full salary not 2/3rds or 1/3rd depending on age.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Why would they buyout Grabovski in this manner? If he is bought out and I think the chance is almost 0% unless he has an even worse season in 13-14 they would be using a compliance buy out. Suggesting that the Leafs might eat a 1.8M cap hit for 8 years is sheer lunacy.

Not to mention if they were willing to eat the $1.8 for just four years they could offer him up for trade at a $3.7 salary and get something back. But I think Mess may have meant the $1.8 per was the cost of the compliance buyout over time which saves them a lot of money compared to a lump up front. The compliance feature is offered to provide relief to the clubs, not a bonus to the player. Unless I am mistaken and they can't break up the compliance buyouts in that fashion.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
The year before last when there was a full seson MLSE made 92M Profit after taxes.
Toronto Maple Leafs are one of only a few teams in the NHL that still make
a very high profit even when they don't make the playoffs.

Each Playoff game would be worth approximately 3M - so do the math -
approx 7 home games.
Their profit isn't just based on games played, I wouldn't be surprised if up to 50% of their profit came from other things that don't have anything to do with a game being played.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not to mention if they were willing to eat the $1.8 for just four years they could offer him up for trade at a $3.7 salary and get something back. But I think Mess may have meant the $1.8 per was the cost of the compliance buyout over time which saves them a lot of money compared to a lump up front. The compliance feature is offered to provide relief to the clubs, not a bonus to the player. Unless I am mistaken and they can't break up the compliance buyouts in that fashion.

Yes, while I don't believe Grabovski will be bought out I was just trying to show it wasn't a 1 time $13 mil payment but rather spread out over 8 years to payout as a compliance buyout with zero cap hit.

While $13 mil is a significant figure, $1.8 mil actual payment is minimum amount to MLSE to eat a season. Nonis could grab Tannenbaum by the ankles hold him upside down and shake him and that $1.8 mil would fall out of his pockets as loose change.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
No way he's getting 5 mil. but that's just my opinion. I could see 4.5 but not 5.

I think he will get $5 million, easy. Guy's coming off a 30-goal season and followed it up with 15 goals in roughly half a season. Also adds some grit and toughness. Also he's south of 30 years old, which is pretty young for a UFA.

The fact that lots of Leaf fans want to bring him in when wing is probably our greatest area of strength tells you all you need to know that there will be suitors for Clarkson. And all it takes is two or three suitors to drive up the price.

Joel Ward got 4 years at $3 million per and he is basically a 10-goal version of Clarkson. When it comes to sought-after UFAs, basically come up with a number that you're comfortable with and then add 25%. That's what it'll take to get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad