Pre-Game Talk: Maple Leafs @ Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
So I'm starting to jump onto the #firecarlyle bandwagon, I have a random thought:

Would banning the media, or most of it, from access to the players after practices and before/after games help?

If they're not prodding someone for information, they ask a lot of loaded and stupid questions. (bernier if he's surprised he wasn't pulled, gardiner last year how he deals with trade talk, kessel about boston etc) I can't imagine it not getting into the players heads, especially the younger ones, no matter how mentally tough they are.

Unless Carlyle is dressed up like a dominator whipping the players with his belt (there's an image for you), I don't understand how these guys can play with zero confidence after all this time and it be the coaches fault each time.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So I'm starting to jump onto the #firecarlyle bandwagon, I have a random thought:

Would banning the media, or most of it, from access to the players after practices and before/after games help?

If they're not prodding someone for information, they ask a lot of loaded and stupid questions. (bernier if he's surprised he wasn't pulled, gardiner last year how he deals with trade talk, kessel about boston etc) I can't imagine it not getting into the players heads, especially the younger ones, no matter how mentally tough they are.

Unless Carlyle is dressed up like a dominator whipping the players with his belt (there's an image for you), I don't understand how these guys can play with zero confidence after all this time and it be the coaches fault each time.

On the other hand, when a whole team looks the same then it's rarely on the individual players.

I'm not like some who like to pretend Carlyle is the worst coach ever, but like every coach he has his weak sides and one of them seem to be turning the boat around when the players have no confidence in themselves.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
On the other hand, when a whole team looks the same then it's rarely on the individual players.

I'm not like some who like to pretend Carlyle is the worst coach ever, but like every coach he has his weak sides and one of them seem to be turning the boat around when the players have no confidence in themselves.

I think Carlyle's weakness is that he's an older coach. a lot of the newer coaches have worked a LOT in junior (or worked their way up) or just know how to identify with young people. I remember telling someone after the 24/7 episode where Carlyle is screaming YOU SUCK!! at everyone. that's my dad. (he's like 70). he's totally the guy screaming you suck. My Mom (who is nearly 60). is the kind of person who finds other ways of communicating (even when she screams at you you know it's out of frustration mostly) - now. i'm sorry after three months of crap play and him saying he's tried EVERYTHING - i can get the YOU SUCK!! but it could very well be generational here.

b: he doesn't know when to stop linematching. i'm sorry - I love Jay McClement. I want him on the team next year. Jay mcClement should not be playing 23 minutes a night. EVER. (unless we're in quadruple overtime or something). Holland should have been playing on the second line, Naz on the third. don't just throw out the same lines and expect something different.

C: he's expecting the team to figure something out that he should figure out first. as someone who has taught - if the way you are presenting the material you want learned isn't getting through and you've tried everything - change the material. period.

D: he's too damned loyal. Orr, McLaren shouldn't be playing at ALL. Franson's butt should be in the press box.

i think he's a good coach, i just don't think he's the right (or good) coach here anymore

BluPuk*

I see we have dropped out of a play off spot.

I don't see us getting back in that position this season.

Caps in a laugher probably 9 -1 with OV getting a hat trick @ +4......

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Let's fill in the gaps here.

Former Leaf goal: Grabovski
Obligatory Ovechkin goal: Ovechkin
Slumpbuster goal: Laich
Bottom pairing defenseman goal: Oleksy

So we're going to need at least five goals to win.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I don't care to see Carlyle fired soon. The last thing we need is some new coach coming in and giving them new life so they can finish 9th or blow it in the first round again, because it's clearly not just the coach that's the problem here.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Its obvious that Grabo will score tonight, leafs will lose and chances are Carlyle will be gone after this but the truth is......If Carlyle goes then Nonis shoudl also go. They gop hand in hand, I blame Nonis more then Carlyle. Nonis is responsible for the roster so.
Were brutal and have nothing of Value to trade that teams want.

Everyone was happy last year right?? Similar roster now, same coach, same system, same message we been hearing...just lower effort and performances by our players that have bigger contracts!!

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
If there's another blowout loss, I'm not sure how much more time Carlyle will have. This is a must win game for him and the team. Another blowout loss plus another loss on Sunday and I think he gets canned.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If there's another blowout loss, I'm not sure how much more time Carlyle will have. This is a must win game for him and the team. Another blowout loss plus another loss on Sunday and I think he gets canned.

With Sunday being a home game, a loss tonight might be it for Carlyle.
If Timmy L. doesn't like empty seats, he definately won't like 'fire Carlyle' chants.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Hopefully its less than 6 or 7 against. Moral victory :sarcasm:

I feel like our team will wake up when our goalie has another 40 saves, a shutout, scores the game winner in a 1-0 win, lays the biggest hit, and makes the best block(save) on the team.

All in one game.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This is going to be on a whole other level of embarrassment tonight, which is sort of amazing in it's own right.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Let's keep the streak going. That's the only way to see a change.
If they manage to win on a fluke again, it'll just repeat all over again.

If the goaltending can make another 45 save performance, then nothing has changed --- win or lose.

If we miraculously win tonight, I can guarantee you that we will lose the next couple games. This team right now thinks that winning a few games can give you the right to take a couple games off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad