GDT: Maple Leafs @ Capitals | Big Test! | Jan 3rd - 7PM - TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No lineup changes expected for the Leafs... Though, Frank Corrado isn't at practice today, so we could be seeing a roster move. Doubt he's injured :laugh:

This is a big test for this club. 5 straight wins, and the emotion of the Centennial Classic could mean we are "due" for a loss.

Hopefully we can go Columbus Style though

cut.jpg

Toronto Maple Leafs at Washington Capitals: Tuesday NHL preview

Alex Ovechkin often works magic against Maple Leafs. Morgan Rielly faces tough test.

By Mark ZwolinskiSports reporter
Mon., Jan. 2, 2017

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...-washington-capitals-tuesday-nhl-preview.html

VERIZON CENTER

FACEOFF: 7 p.m.

TV: TSN

RADIO: TSN 1050

KEY PLAYERS

Rielly/Ovechkin

Morgan Rielly and defence partner Nikita Zaitsev will likely see a lot of Alex Ovechkin, Washington’s big winger, who has had many memorable games against the Leafs over his career. He has racked up 32 goals and 26 assists in 40 career meetings, his fifth-highest point total against any team. He had just one assist in a 4-2 loss to the Leafs at the end of November, though, followed by a relatively quiet December overall with five goals and five assists.

NEED TO KNOW

Washington was the only team to play New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day (they won both games). . . . The Capitals have 18 goals in their last six games, 17 of them at even strength. . . . Their penalty killing was a perfect nine for nine in Saturday’s 6-2 win over New Jersey. . . . Led by Vezina Trophy winner Braden Holtby, Washington tops the league in goals-against average at 2.06. The league average was 2.68 heading into Monday’s action. . . . Washington’s defencemen have combined for 73 points, among the league’s best in that category. . . . Defenceman Taylor Chorney scored the 2-1 winner against Ottawa on Sunday — his first goal of the season and third in 130 career games. . . . The Leafs lent defenceman Frank Corrado to the AHL Marlies on a two-week conditioning stint, and sent down centre Byron Froese.

UP NEXT

Friday at New Jersey Devils, 7:30 p.m.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Hmmm isn't this how holland got traded? Wasn't at practice then didn't make the road trip?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
No lineup changes expected for the Leafs... Though, Frank Corrado isn't at practice today, so we could be seeing a roster move. Doubt he's injured :laugh:

This is a big test for this club. 5 straight wins, and the emotion of the Centennial Classic could mean we are "due" for a loss.

Hopefully we can go Columbus Style though

popcorn salt to the eye? dropped a mentos in his diet coke and has a concussion.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Conditioning stint to get ready for the press box again :sarcasm:

wasnt performing in the press box so they thought he should see what an AHL press box looks like so he doesn't take for granted what a privileged position he has as an NHL press box guy

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think our calibre of play has gone down as this win streak has progressed - they're gonna need to turn it up to beat the Caps. If they play like they did yesterday they'll get crushed.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Caps are doing ok lately, it's going to be a good test. It's a road game so we might be in for a tough one. Stay out of the box, play it tight and don't try to run and gun. The outdoor classic is a beast unto its own, I don't think you should or could glean any bad trends from it. They should be back on track, playing on the road will help tighten things up a bit.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Need to at least grab a point but it will be tough. Caps are looking for revenge after that beat down we gave them at he ACC.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
won earlier in the year 4-2, but that was at home and this game is away, but anyways good luck and keep the winning streak going pretty plssss.

Also looking at the schedule, march will most likely decide if we are playoff bound or not
its near the end of the season and we have 4 or 5 key games to play that month against other teams vying for a playoffs spot.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Need to at least grab a point but it will be tough. Caps are looking for revenge after that beat down we gave them at he ACC.

Cap looked mediocre last night against the sens. If we play our A game we stand a good chance against them.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Andersen needs to be at his best tomorrow, chances atr Holtby isn't letting in 5

maybe he does, maybe he has an off night everybody doesbut chances are we need to hold Wash to 2 or less to beat them

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'd give Bibeau the game against New Jersey.

Andersen will be nice and fresh for a big game against MTL, and the two against NYR and OTT.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd give Bibeau the game against New Jersey.

Andersen will be nice and fresh for a big game against MTL, and the two against NYR and OTT.

Andersen should get both those games, he gets a week off after that

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Not true Arizona is not a big test, Florida is not a big test

lots of teams aren't big tests

I remember the first few years after the major lockout the Leafs would beat a couple of top teams, put themselves within a game or two of a playoff spot and lose to a bottom feeder and kill that momentum they built.

Considering the team is coming off a 30th place finish, I'd say they're still big tests. And Florida is also 1 point back of Toronto. Toronto's not in a position to take nights off.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I remember the first few years after the major lockout the Leafs would beat a couple of top teams, put themselves within a game or two of a playoff spot and lose to a bottom feeder and kill that momentum they built.

Considering the team is coming off a 30th place finish, I'd say they're still big tests. And Florida is also 1 point back of Toronto. Toronto's not in a position to take nights off.

I remember that too but this isn't that team those teams didn't have NEAR thr talent this one does

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The Caps @ Landover will be a huge test-but can be done.
OV is producing less, and their PP has done pretty badly.

The schedule does us no favours. We play in Metro NYC before coming back home to face our divisional foes. It seems destined that we may go into the bye week on a bad note :(

I would stay over in NYC and fly back next morning.
Its also the Dad's trip this week. DC and NYC not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad