Maple Leaf pending UFA & RFA who stays and goes?

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Bolland - bye bye 2nd round pick

Kulemin - bye bye 2nd round pick (or 1st couple years ago at TDL)

McClement - bye

Raymond - bye bye 2nd/3rd round pick

Bodie - retain for cheap

Ranger - retain for cheap

Komarov - come back please

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Bolland - prone to injury and probably makes too much now as a third line C. Let him walk - please!

Kulemin - should have been moved last year if they weren't planning on keeping him. I think he needs a change of scenery anyway

McClement - I could go either way. If he gets a little bit of a raise on a 3 year deal, sign him. Otherwise, see ya

Raymond - soft as can be, and won't be worth re-signing.

Bodie - one of the few guys who actually played hard. Re-sign on the cheap It's not like he's coming off a great yer or two, so he wouldn't be getting huge bucks anyway.

Ranger - I say move on and let Holzer take his spot. Although I wouldn't mind him back as a 5th/6th guy

Komarov - I think he'll price himself out of Toronto, but would like to have him back

Trade Franson and Reimer, sign Gardiner to a bridge deal

I'd try and sign him long term for cheap. It's not like he had a great year or two. He wouldn't be getting a huge contract based on past performance.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Bolland: possibly if short term or cheap

Kulemin: gone

Raymond: gone

Mcclement: gone

Franson: gone

Reimer: traded

Ranger: resigned cheap 1 yr

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Don't get the love for ranger he was absolutely awful last year tons of bad penalties, injured our starter he just wasn't good

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Don't get the love for ranger he was absolutely awful last year tons of bad penalties, injured our starter he just wasn't good

Lol he had a solid second half to the season, right about the time that Dion and Franson got even worse. Being way to critical for a guy we paid 1 million for, and injuring the goalie? Get over it, it was accidental.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Lol he had a solid second half to the season, right about the time that Dion and Franson got even worse. Being way to critical for a guy we paid 1 million for, and injuring the goalie? Get over it, it was accidental.

Of course it was accidental but it was still stupid

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I'd try and sign him long term for cheap. It's not like he had a great year or two. He wouldn't be getting a huge contract based on past performance.

Long term for cheap with him would probably be 4-4.5 for 5-6 years. Risky deal but could pay off if he reaches potential soon.

Bridge deal will net him 2.5ish for 2 years

DaveT83*

Reilly and Bernier are the only two players on this roster that I would be interested in hanging onto moving forward.
And Bernier has no business on a rebuilding team. The guy has earned his chance to compete for a cup. He's proven that to the league. He'll be of absolutely no use to this team over the next 2-3 seasons if things are done properly.

The rest of them can simply sit in the press box until contracts expire if thats what it takes.

The ****ing scrubs on Marlies would be no worse than your ALL-STAR team of Kessels, Phaneufs.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If Ranger sees regular ice time next year then this team is in trouble again. I don't see why Shanny would want to bring any of these losers back, tbh.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
We live in a world where a professional athlete just signed a $292 million dollar contract extension. With Ranger, you're talking about a guy who walked away from the sport he loves, is rumoured to have voluntarily returned his 1-year salary with the Bolts, and then walked away from 9 or 10 million dollars to deal with personal issues; and you're word to describe him is "selfish".

I just don't understand how dehumanizing fans can be sometimes. Imagine if someone offered you that kind of money to do something you enjoy, and you had other issues going on in your life that were significant enough that you had to walk away from that contract. Meanwhile, online, some guy is calling you "selfish" because you took a paycut to play for his hometown team instead of just going to the highest bidder.

It blows my mind.

Regarding Lindros - You know Lindros hadn't played a game in the NHL when he pulled his stunt with Quebec, right? And that Ranger was a UFA when he signed with Toronto?

Surely you can see how those are two completely different scenarios?

one, i'm pretty sure he's sleeping fine at night making more in a month than most here will make in years, also getting paid to play what most of us do for free. so i really have little sympathy for him or most athletes when i'm evaluating them.

two, he went away to deal with 'personal issues'. unless you are his family (hi ranger?), no one knows what his personal issues are. they might have been bad, or they might not have been that bad. i put little stock in a pr release that is vague.

i don't blame him for leaving; however, if the reasons were serious and legit, i question his mental make up for the game at this point. players generally don't just leave and then come back, unless it was something rare like heatley, who killed his friend driving. in fact, if it was so serious that i would give up hockey, i wouldn't then say i'll come back but only play for my home team. that's a bit contradictory.

it also still doesn't change the fact that he coughed up chances and basically destroy all hope of making the post season by injuring bernier, by a deliberate judgement call that even cherry's been criticizing for years (pushing players onto your goalie).

i'm not blaming him for quitting because of his personal issues (although it makes me trust him as a player less), i'm questioning his choice to come back to toronto. he could have easily gone back to tampa after dealing with it, if he wanted to stay in hockey.

the particulars of the situation that you mentioned are true (it was lindros during the draft sitting out, etc.) and i acknowledge that.

however, ranger choosing where he plays after quitting feels like circumventing the rules. i'm not talking about him leaving money on the table. lindros actually would have left money on the table as well to play where he wanted, which wasn't quebec. if you don't think his behaviour is a little odd on top of everything else, then we can agree to disagree.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Komarov: Amazing how overrated he has become by Leaf fans. Nice player 4th liner but his impact would have been minimal in changing our fortunes this year. If he wants a big pay day of over 2 million or more let him walk.

Bolland: term is the biggest issue with him. I'd offer a contract similar to Bozak but no way would I go longer than 5 years

McClement: would offer 1 year around current salary. If he wants 2 years I'd let him walk.

Ranger: would offer a 1 year deal around the same 1 million he made this year. He's a useful depth defender

Kulemin: would offer a 3-5 year contract in the 3 to 3.5 million range. 3.5 for 3 years or 3 for 5 years.

Raymond: Goodbye. Was nice at 1 million but he isn't what this team needs.

Rest of free agents: Sign a veteran defender to a 1 or 2 year deal that can play as a # 4/5 in place of Franson who I'd trade this summer. Names like Mitchell, Robidas, Stralman, Salo, Hainsey, Orpik.

If money left over retain salary on Franson or Reimer to net better assets or sign some 3rd/4th line depth but only to very cheap 1 year deals like Moore, Boyle, Penner, Morrow, Jones, Vitale.

This team won't be fixed in one off-season and only handing out 1 or 2 year deals to build depth (which allows trade options) should be the name of the game. If we suck these UFAs can be dealt at the deadline or it can allow us the depth to trade out current players for assets like we did with Fraser, Brown, Colborne, Frattin, Scrivens in recent seasons.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Komarov: Amazing how overrated he has become by Leaf fans. Nice player 4th liner but his impact would have been minimal in changing our fortunes this year. If he wants a big pay day of over 2 million or more let him walk.

Bolland: term is the biggest issue with him. I'd offer a contract similar to Bozak but no way would I go longer than 5 years

McClement: would offer 1 year around current salary. If he wants 2 years I'd let him walk.

Ranger: would offer a 1 year deal around the same 1 million he made this year. He's a useful depth defender

Kulemin: would offer a 3-5 year contract in the 3 to 3.5 million range. 3.5 for 3 years or 3 for 5 years.

Raymond: Goodbye. Was nice at 1 million but he isn't what this team needs.

Rest of free agents: Sign a veteran defender to a 1 or 2 year deal that can play as a # 4/5 in place of Franson who I'd trade this summer. Names like Mitchell, Robidas, Stralman, Salo, Hainsey, Orpik.

If money left over retain salary on Franson or Reimer to net better assets or sign some 3rd/4th line depth but only to very cheap 1 year deals like Moore, Boyle, Penner, Morrow, Jones, Vitale.

This team won't be fixed in one off-season and only handing out 1 or 2 year deals to build depth (which allows trade options) should be the name of the game. If we suck these UFAs can be dealt at the deadline or it can allow us the depth to trade out current players for assets like we did with Fraser, Brown, Colborne, Frattin, Scrivens in recent seasons.

So you want essentially the same team back as this season? Wow, OK.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Bolland - Let him walk, will cost too much for a borderline #2C, let Holland play (since you traded a 2nd rounder for him)

Kulemin - See you later, Leivo can take his spot

McClement - Let him walk, easily replaced with younger player

Bodie - keep him, useful 3rd/4th liner

Ranger - I say move on and let Granberg take his spot.

Komarov -Would like to have to back, but not at big cost

Time to let D'Amigo, Leivo type players step in and be your 3rd/4th liners. No point overpaying the Raymonds and McClements, they need some young players who will show so effort.

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
love to see this next year
JVR / Bozak/ Kessel
Kuli / Kadri/ Lupul
Ashton / Holand/Clarkson
Komorov / Cheap Mclement/ Bodie Top 6 call up leivo bottom six diamigo

Dion Gardiner
Reilly gunner
Granburg Ranger/Gleason pmd call up percy or mac if its a cruncher that's hurt
get younger see what we have in these players who appear ready and reassess next year if its bad well have a high pick in a great draft if the kids can play then we've got a lot to be excited about

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
So you want essentially the same team back as this season? Wow, OK.

Replacing Franson with a useful 5 on 5, PK defender is a huge difference. Gardiner + Rielly can handle extra PP minutes. We also would get to add picks or prospects by trading out Franson.

After Stastny (who isn't coming here), Bolland is the next best UFA center so we're stuck between a rock and a hard place with him.

After Bolland (and possibly Kulemin) the UFA market isn't where we'll be able to solve our issues with a big signing but it is where we should be looking to build depth or retain depth on affordable short term deals.

Toronto simply can't be fixed in just this one off-season and I believe we need to go short term on deals with guys like Ranger, UFA Dman, McClement, UFA forwards like Boyle, Moore that will give us organizational depth out of camp with 2 way contract guys like D'Amigo, Ashton, Granberg pushing for spots that can be created if they deserve them. Then we can turn this depth into more picks, prospects during the season (like we did with Brown + Fraser). The cumulation of a few small deals like Steckel for a 7th, Brown for a 4th, Colborne for a 4th, Fraser for a prospect does start to add up.

This depth also gives us some players to deal at the deadline if we're out of it or to possibly sell high on a player like Gunnarson, Gleason, Lupul on our terms who aren't part of the long term core because of being pushed from a # of guys lower in the depth chart instead of being forced to hold onto a player like we had to with Grabo a few years ago because we didn't want to rush Kadri before he was ready.

Adding depth on short term deals is the key this off-season. Then we need to turn that depth into more longer term depth like picks, prospects.

Toronto needs to build assets as much as anything that can be recycled.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
love to see this next year
JVR / Bozak/ Kessel
Kuli / Kadri/ Lupul
Ashton / Holand/Clarkson
Komorov / Cheap Mclement/ Bodie Top 6 call up leivo bottom six diamigo

Dion Gardiner
Reilly gunner
Granburg Ranger/Gleason pmd call up percy or mac if its a cruncher that's hurt
get younger see what we have in these players who appear ready and reassess next year if its bad well have a high pick in a great draft if the kids can play then we've got a lot to be excited about

So essentially the same team?

They need to make some bold moves, this team is destined to spiral downward. Ridding themselves of Phaneuf and Lupul should be priority #1. Although I dont think Shanahan has the nuts to do it.

Having Kulemin on the 2nd line is a disaster. This team is so far from being a serious contender, its scary. They need to dismantle the "Core" of this team and start over. They dont have players you build around, they have a bunch of complimentary players, and overpaid ones at that.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Bolland - Let him walk, will cost too much for a borderline #2C, let Holland play (since you traded a 2nd rounder for him)

Kulemin - See you later, Leivo can take his spot

McClement - Let him walk, easily replaced with younger player

Bodie - keep him, useful 3rd/4th liner

Ranger - I say move on and let Granberg take his spot.

Komarov -Would like to have to back, but not at big cost

Time to let D'Amigo, Leivo type players step in and be your 3rd/4th liners. No point overpaying the Raymonds and McClements, they need some young players who will show so effort.

Raymond made 1 million.

McClement made 1.5 million.

It's nice to say just play D'Amigo + Leivo + Granberg but they might not be ready right out of camp and might even regress like Holzer who everyone was crying would easily replace Schenn a few years ago.

Toronto should bring in as much depth as possible on short term deals and if a youngster is 100% ready for more than just a call up a spot can and will be created if need be.

Injuries also always happen and with a team that got badly exposed for weak depth when Bolland got injured + Clarkson got suspended/injured/underperformed we shouldn't be lining ourselves up for a similar situation.

Depth also allow us to trade out players if need be for extra assets.

Just like Brown, Colborne, Steckel, Fraser helped bring us some extra pick depth when it was clear they weren't needed.

Last edited:

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
Bolland - let Bolland be some other team's mistake/over payment. Never liked this move.
Kulemin - not interested no idea how he is a full time NHLer at times. Grabo and kule can reunite in the KHL
McClement - interested in listening - need a veteran killing penalties and grooming our youth.
Raymond - maybe - we do need secondary scoring and mason can provide that for the right price.
Bodie - this was a carlyle move - not really interested
Ranger - i believe he might be coming around - maybe for the right price
Komarov - make an offer to, but, not high, or long term
Franson - this guy needs time in the AHL to find his game- bye bye
Reimer, - i don't believe that his rebound control will ever be at the NHL level - bye bye
Gardiner - YES! YES! YES!

Cheap UFAs for the bottom six that are available that I might target would be:
Mike Santorelli
Brad Winchester
Reasoning:
-Both have better numbers than Kulemin in less games and less minutes
-Both were making a million or way less
-Great stop gap veteran's that can come in for a year or two to groom the kids
-Defensively responsible
-Both are physical

Top Six Target:
-Matt Moulson - proven secondary scoring - can replace the likes of Lupul if there was a move to be made there.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
so then matt moulson will become the new FA that we wasted cap space and term on.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Has there been any contract talks with Kulemin and Nonis? Anyone know what he is wanting in terms of dollars/term? Same with Franson. Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad